Are these safe?

davisc12

Ive done a lot of looking around on different fourms and compiled a few lists of plants to look out for and finally made it to my local green house and picked up a few plants. I grabbed some more pothos which is what im using now with a money tree so i dont have much of a concern there but i picked up a pin stripe plant, a monstera, and a rhaphidophora decursiva. I havnt seen the last on either list and the monstera ive seen on both lists.

You can use it, but I think it will quickly outgrow your enclosure. They get pretty big leaves, even in enclosures.

This is what my small monstera produces every 2-3 weeks

IMG_9151.jpeg

Ive done a lot of looking around on different fourms and compiled a few lists of plants to look out for and finally made it to my local green house and picked up a few plants. I grabbed some more pothos which is what im using now with a money tree so i dont have much of a concern there but i picked up a pin stripe plant, a monstera, and a rhaphidophora decursiva. I havnt seen the last on either list and the monstera ive seen on both lists.
So I have a veiled so I tend to stay with the veiled safe since they eat them... I would use a monstera but they grow huge so that can be an issue in a small set up. The rhaphidophora decursiva is considered toxic to animals and humans if ingested so I would avoid that. The pin stripe plant is considered non toxic to animals and humans if ingested.

Both of those I did a simple google search and if it was toxic to animals. Then it pulls the ASPSA info for dogs and cats. In general if they say toxic to dogs and cats then I would not risk it with my veiled unless it was a tried and true veiled tested plant.

So I have a veiled so I tend to stay with the veiled safe since they eat them... I would use a monstera but they grow huge so that can be an issue in a small set up. The rhaphidophora decursiva is considered toxic to animals and humans if ingested so I would avoid that. The pin stripe plant is considered non toxic to animals and humans if ingested.

Both of those I did a simple google search and if it was toxic to animals. Then it pulls the ASPSA info for dogs and cats. In general if they say toxic to dogs and cats then I would not risk it with my veiled unless it was a tried and true veiled tested plant.
The reason i didnt go by most pet safe lists is because pothos is considered toxic to cats but is on every chameleon list ive seen so it can be confusing.

The reason i didnt go by most pet safe lists is because pothos is considered toxic to cats but is on every chameleon list ive seen so it can be confusing.
Pothos (and philodendrons) have calcium oxalates crystals, which are irritating to the GI tract when cats and dogs eat them. It’s never stopped my cats though and it obviously has no effect on chameleons. I haven’t looked up the toxicity characteristics for the other plants which we use and are safe for our veileds, but they’ve been tested and used for a long time and proven to be safe for them. This is perhaps one of the more current lists. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

It's great to see that you've done your research and are being thoughtful about the plants you choose for your space! Pothos and money trees are fantastic choices for indoor greenery. Monstera is a popular and striking plant that many plant enthusiasts enjoy, and it's wonderful to hear you've seen it recommended.
The pin stripe plant and rhaphidophora decursiva sound like intriguing additions. Exploring less common plant varieties can be a fun and rewarding experience in indoor gardening. Just make sure to learn about their specific care requirements and enjoy watching them thrive in your space. Happy planting!

Back
Top Bottom