Yet another safe plant question

ItsMike64

Established Member
Hey all!

I was just wondering if all pothos plants are considered safe? I’d love to add some Manjula, njoy, Baltic blue, and other varieties to spice up my chams enclosures! Also wondering if rhaphidophora tetrasperma or rhaphidophora decursiva are safe as well?

Thanks!

Yes, all pothos are considered safe. WIth that said not all pothos do well in enclosures. For example Satin pothos do not do well having their leaves kept moist. They will start to die off. I have Njoy, marble queen, and golden pothos. All have done really well.

To add to what beman said, here’s the thing with safe plants… look up the plant on google, type toxicity with it. If it is toxic, google what the toxin actually is. Toxic could be anything from minor skin irritation(ficus sap) to deadly nightshade alkaloids lol. Many plants we use are technically toxic(pothos for one), but not in the sense that’s we worry about. And what is irritating to us may not bother the reptile at all.

So to sum it up, check out the toxin(if any) and then make your best judgement call from there. I’d check out if they are toxic to birds or other reptiles(vegetarian/omnivore reptiles probably have better data on what’s safe to be eaten). If it’s dangerous to them, good chance you probably don’t want your Cham eating it. Avocado is one that comes to mind, fine for people, potently toxic to birds and reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom