Moving slowly

davisc12

I know chameleons aren't exactly fast animals and i am a new owner but i feel like my guy is moving around possibly worryingly slow. Its not that he doesnt move i have a camera on his tank he he gets around but ar a snails pace. Ive seen videos of people chameleons walking out guickly to them and my guy hates me so he wont come to me but uve never seen him movr quickly for anything. Im not able to get him in to his new vet utill after the new year unless its an emergency visit then they are open 24/7

Photos please of your chameleon and cage setup.
What’s the basking temperature in the cage?
The basking zone was low 82ish but last night i moved it a bit closer and got it to 87. Ambient temo is between 67-70. My house is 70 but with the ventilation i see it dip a fee degrees under 70 in the enclosure.

Photos please of your chameleon and cage setup.
What’s the basking temperature in the cage?
All the photos on my phone are too large to upload but heres a screen shot of my live camera
Screenshot_20231204_170014_Kasa.jpg

The basking zone was low 82ish but last night i moved it a bit closer and got it to 87. Ambient temo is between 67-70. My house is 70 but with the ventilation i see it dip a fee degrees under 70 in the enclosure.
Is this during the day? If so his temps are a little too cold during the day for him which could be the reason he is moving so slow.

Ambient temps should be 78-72 during the day.

His basking temp you want to be 80. 87 is a bit warm for him :)

Is this during the day? If so his temps are a little too cold during the day for him which could be the reason he is moving so slow.

Ambient temps should be 78-72 during the day.

His basking temp you want to be 80. 87 is a bit warm for him :)
Yes this is day time temps. Basking has been low 80s (moved the dome closer over the branch and got it to mid to high 80s but down low in the enclosure its still closer to 70, at night while my house stays the same the misting and fog machine with the pc fans cause some evaporative cooling and i see temps as low as 64 at night but usually 66 67. I have no problem bumping my houses hear a few extra degrees as i used to keep my house at 75 because i have 10 fish tanks and only lowered it to get the night time cool temps for the cham.

Yes this is day time temps. Basking has been low 80s (moved the dome closer over the branch and got it to mid to high 80s but down low in the enclosure its still closer to 70, at night while my house stays the same the misting and fog machine with the pc fans cause some evaporative cooling and i see temps as low as 64 at night but usually 66 67. I have no problem bumping my houses hear a few extra degrees as i used to keep my house at 75 because i have 10 fish tanks and only lowered it to get the night time cool temps for the cham.
Ya I’d find a way to bump up his ambient day temps. See how that works

Great setup so far. I would almost say hybrid would be great choice for you, however looking at the pictures it looks like you already covered the sides. This would keep the heat better inside the enclosure. Mine ambient temps are also 70 or less, and even keep most chams free range. Moving slow could also be a seasonal thing, my chams are also less active during this period.
Looking at the picture of your handsome boy, it looks like his casques is a bit sunken (could be the picture) How're your feedings? maybe he's low in energy.

Great setup so far. I would almost say hybrid would be great choice for you, however looking at the pictures it looks like you already covered the sides. This would keep the heat better inside the enclosure. Mine ambient temps are also 70 or less, and even keep most chams free range. Moving slow could also be a seasonal thing, my chams are also less active during this period.
Looking at the picture of your handsome boy, it looks like his casques is a bit sunken (could be the picture) How're your feedings? maybe he's low in energy.
Yes this enclosure came with a plexi front door but i added plexi glass to the back and one other side and it still is only maybe a degree above room temp, i do have 1 pc fan on top blowing up as an exhaust fan and have another at the bottom blowing in on low which would explain only staying about a degree above ambient, but this does help keep the fog inside the enclosure tremendously and i dont have to worry about enoughair flow. Just getting the basking spot to the mid/high 80s seemed to help overnight and will try raising the temp in the house during the day to 74ish.

And feeding have been good, he is not eating out of my hand anymore but he is eating consistently and have switched to feeding him before i leave for work so the bugs are already in there when he wakes up instead of when i get home only 3 hours before lights out which also seemed to help.

No i dont spray anything, smoke, or burn candles in this room because i also have a bearded dragon and several reef tanks.

Back
Top Bottom