Sound like a good idea to you? Does to me.

ChameleoG

I haven't post on here for a loooong time but yesterday i got a baby veiled and just thought about this forum again.

Anyway i decided to make a floor for my chameleon cage out of styrofoam, great stuff foam, brown silicone, and eco earth. I just thought it would be more attractive than nothing and it wouldn't be able to accidentally ingest it either. Its not completely done cause i ran out of brown silicone. but this is what i've done so far. Seems like a good idea to me. What do you guys think?

i'v still got a lot to do.
Greatstufffloor002.jpg

Greatstufffloor001.jpg

It looks to me like that could end up being a really soggy mess when it gets wet. And a good place for bacteria to hang out, even if it is glued down...

yes, like katt said any substrate in a chameleon enclosure will ultimately turn in to a breeding ground for all sorts of bad stuff...:eek: I wouldnt do it..

it is a very thin layer of dry eco earth on top of silicone and iv found when eco earth is dry, you have to spray it a lot to get it wet again and sometimes even have to pour water on it to get it completely wet again. I'm not worried about it getting too wet at all

Well, you did ask whether it would be a good idea. And I still don't think so. Can't you just go with zero substrate?

yes i know i did and i appreciate your opinion. I was just saying that was not something i had thought would be a problem; and was that its not as messy as it appears and will be even less messy when i've finished it. I'm not done and if it appears as if it won't work well when i'm done then i won't use it.

Nothing better than a nice slick surface to occasionally give a good bleaching to. You will never be able to disinfect your "creation"!

We use to use Eco Earth and that stuff deffinantly does collect plenty of water (assuming you're watering the chameleons correctly), especially under plants, when crickets die they mold over and sometimes the feces will too...I'm talking over night. As soon as we saw this happen we agreed to no longer use it, and move to bark. But then we got the hint (from this forum) that it's probably not a good idea either. So now we have nothing...

Take their advice, they're experts!!

Nothing better than a nice slick surface to occasionally give a good bleaching to. You will never be able to disinfect your "creation"!

IMHO bleaching anything your chameleon might touch isnt the best of ideas. I use vinegar and hot water or steam to clean my cages. I use towels on the bottom of my cages, under the water collection pans. The towels nicely absorb any splashes, and are removed and laundered regularily, in hot hot water, so as not to allow for a stinky bacteria farm.

IMHO bleaching anything your chameleon might touch isnt the best of ideas. I use vinegar and hot water or steam to clean my cages. I use towels on the bottom of my cages, under the water collection pans. The towels nicely absorb any splashes, and are removed and laundered regularily, in hot hot water, so as not to allow for a stinky bacteria farm.

As long as you are rinsing correctly, using bleach shouldn't be harmful in any way. A bleach mixture is actually the recommended method of cleaning most reptile enclosures...and baby items. If people use it for their babies....I don't really see the problem.

Back
Top Bottom