Soil moisture question

dlaunde

Established Member
So my new bioactive setup is complete (well, almost, waiting on the CUC to arrive) and is ready to receive my veiled when he arrives today. The setup is 1" of clay rock, window screen and weed screen, then 5-6" of "homemade" soil consisting of Eco Earth, sponge moss, reptibark, and sand. I have a few Pothos vines and two stems of an Umbrella plant planted around the tank. Normal 75w incandescent bulb for heat and an Arcadia T5 HO bulb for UVB. I also have a grow light coming in the next few days. Misting is a Mistking double head sprayer, with a schedule of 3 mins @ 9am, 4mins @ 1pm, 3mins @ 5pm. The cage is half glass, half screen (screen top and right side is screen).

My question: is the soil OK to always be moist? It isn't drenched, and there is no standing water, but even when I wake up for the morning misting the soil still has a good dampness to it (doesn't clump together but damp enough to stick to your hand very well/messy if you move it around). No water has made it to the drainage layer yet, so I don't think I am excessively watering.

Just want to make sure I am providing enough misting time without drenching the plants to an unhealthy level.

My opinion-- You should drop the mid-day down to just a quick 20-30 seconds. You want to give it a chance to dry out a bit, and veileds do better with lower humidity during the day.
I would also consider modifying your morning and evening mistings to coincide with your lighting schedule

As an example my schedule for my quadricornis- 5:30am 2 1/2 minutes. Lights start coming on at 6am. 1 PM 30 seconds. All lights on 2PM. Lights start tapering down 4PM. Lights off 6:30 PM. Mist 2 1/2 minutes.
Running cool mist humidifier from 2AM-4AM. The humidity in the enclosure ranges from 50-55% during the day to 90% at night and early morning.

There really isn't a one size fits all answer. You'll just need to adjust things as you go, and monitor closely for the first couple months. How are you monitoring the humidity/temps in the enclosure?

My opinion-- You should drop the mid-day down to just a quick 20-30 seconds. You want to give it a chance to dry out a bit, and veileds do better with lower humidity during the day.
I would also consider modifying your morning and evening mistings to coincide with your lighting schedule

As an example my schedule for my quadricornis- 5:30am 2 1/2 minutes. Lights start coming on at 6am. 1 PM 30 seconds. All lights on 2PM. Lights start tapering down 4PM. Lights off 6:30 PM. Mist 2 1/2 minutes.
Running cool mist humidifier from 2AM-4AM. The humidity in the enclosure ranges from 50-55% during the day to 90% at night and early morning.

There really isn't a one size fits all answer. You'll just need to adjust things as you go, and monitor closely for the first couple months. How are you monitoring the humidity/temps in the enclosure?
I have my lights coming on at 830am and off at 8pm. I'll switch my morning misting to 8am and my evening misting to 8pm. And make the afternoon misting 30seconds at 2pm.

I have a Zoo Med digital thermometer/hydrometer coming tomorrow to add. Where is the best spot to place the probe in the cage?

20200806_134843.jpg

I'm not 110% happy with it as the live wall curled on me when it cured, and it needs a pruning.

I use a Govee temp/humidity monitor, so I can track multiple enclosure. Probe is set in the center just below the area where he goes to get his UV.

I'm not 110% happy with it as the live wall curled on me when it cured, and it needs a pruning.

I use a Govee temp/humidity monitor, so I can track multiple enclosure. Probe is set in the center just below the area where he goes to get his UV.
I can't see it in the pic, is it attached to the top of the screen in the center? Or wrapped around a vine/branch?

I also can't see the Cham...where's waldo? lol

Yes, it is ok for the soil to always be moist, it actually has to be always moist for the CuC to be happy. The leaf litter on top can be dry as long as under the leaves there is moisture for the CuC to be.

Back
Top Bottom