Will fogging cause water droplets on my floor/wall? Will the soil become moist?

lurker9090

(fully screen enclosure) So Ive been just misting/dripping since I got my cham, and all his urates have all been hydrated! However, Ive started to become worried about the wall and floors, they look fine but I think with repeated water exposure it could cause peeling. I do try to wipe away what I see but it is a hassle. Ive also had a hard time having his enclosure dry out during the day. I find the only way to dry it out would be to have a fan constantly running, but this would remove the humidity from the air.

I saw bill strand say in a video that if you begin fogging, you will have to mist less. Would fogging during the night cause water droplets on my floor/wall? Would it cause the soil to be too damp in my big potted plant? Would the floor of my enclosure be a pool of water in the morning? Or does the water stay "in the air"?

I have a landlord that is WAY too concerned about aesthetics LOL. So I worry putting shower curtains on the walls, and a big matt on the floor, would be pushing it, considering he already let me have a crested gecko and a chameleon even though the lease says NO PETS lol.

Bonus video of my handsome cham about to shed for the second time since getting him :)

Last edited:
You want to put a panel on the back of the cage at least. You can use Corrugated plastic sheets. These are easy to cut and they sell them at home depot and lowes. Then attach them to the outside of the cage. I have used velcro for this so I can take them back off if needed. Depending on your humidity levels you can add these to the two side panels as well. This will protect your walls.

Yes, over spray can damage walls and flooring.

With fogging no this does not stay in the air. It flows in from the top of the cage and then flows down through the cage and then flows out of the screen onto the surfaces below. Yes, it also can cause damage to flooring and issues with moisture in the carpet. This of clouds rolling over mountains or fog on the ocean exact same concept happens with fogging it flows and falls.

What is your ambient room humidity and how much are you spraying? The cage should be dry within an hour or so after spraying.

Absolutely!! That fog coming out is just water being turned into a fog, which is still moisture. With that being said, I don't line anything. I've simply aimed my misters so that their spray doesn't leave the cage, and I put the fogger in the middle as much as possible and it's aimed so that it stays within the enclosure. So I don't have this problem.

However, the size of my enclosure (36x24x48) allows this. I think a 2x2x4 enclosure either needs at least 1 side protected, or to be in a place where the moisture hitting the wall doesn't matter.

Even if the fog is rolling within the cage, it still has to go somewhere, as @Beman pointed out, it drops down and will eventually hit your floor. This is why I have 1 very large plastic tub under my enclosure that covers -almost- the entire bottom of the enclosure. So everything being sprayed/the fog goes right into there for me to collect later.

I have had some adjustment periods where I had water on the floor. I just simply kept adjusting until that didn't happen anymore.

You want to put a panel on the back of the cage at least. You can use Corrugated plastic sheets. These are easy to cut and they sell them at home depot and lowes. Then attach them to the outside of the cage. I have used velcro for this so I can take them back off if needed. Depending on your humidity levels you can add these to the two side panels as well. This will protect your walls.

Yes, over spray can damage walls and flooring.

With fogging no this does not stay in the air. It flows in from the top of the cage and then flows down through the cage and then flows out of the screen onto the surfaces below. Yes, it also can cause damage to flooring and issues with moisture in the carpet. This of clouds rolling over mountains or fog on the ocean exact same concept happens with fogging it flows and falls.

What is your ambient room humidity and how much are you spraying? The cage should be dry within an hour or so after spraying.
Yea i definately think its time for me to get one of those plastic sheets. What isle do you think id find it in at home depot? Is it considered flooring or something? Also the velcro is a good idea! I live on western coast of canada, humidity stays at around 60-70% during the day without me doing any misting. I do a 1 minute misting right before the lights go on, and then 1 minute of misting right before the lights turn off to avoid it getting hot and humid. Then have a dripper going throughout the day! Every single one of his urates have been perfectly hydrated so far which Ive been so happy with! :)

My one super big plant in the middle i initally had problems with because i forget to add drainage holes..... (i know LOL big mistake) however i repotted it with drainage holes and added a drainage layer around 1 week ago. I am scared its either going to mold or die from the 2 weeks it didnt have drainage holes, so Ive been patiently waiting to see if the top of it becomes dry, and it hasn't yet so Im scared its never going to dry out and develop root rot.

Absolutely!! That fog coming out is just water being turned into a fog, which is still moisture. With that being said, I don't line anything. I've simply aimed my misters so that their spray doesn't leave the cage, and I put the fogger in the middle as much as possible and it's aimed so that it stays within the enclosure. So I don't have this problem.

However, the size of my enclosure (36x24x48) allows this. I think a 2x2x4 enclosure either needs at least 1 side protected, or to be in a place where the moisture hitting the wall doesn't matter.

Even if the fog is rolling within the cage, it still has to go somewhere, as @Beman pointed out, it drops down and will eventually hit your floor. This is why I have 1 very large plastic tub under my enclosure that covers -almost- the entire bottom of the enclosure. So everything being sprayed/the fog goes right into there for me to collect later.

I have had some adjustment periods where I had water on the floor. I just simply kept adjusting until that didn't happen anymore.
Which mist system do you use? Is it loud? I think I should probably try adding a large bin underneath to try to capture access water so I dont need to wipe it up everytime haha

Yea i definately think its time for me to get one of those plastic sheets. What isle do you think id find it in at home depot? Is it considered flooring or something? Also the velcro is a good idea! I live on western coast of canada, humidity stays at around 60-70% during the day without me doing any misting. I do a 1 minute misting right before the lights go on, and then 1 minute of misting right before the lights turn off to avoid it getting hot and humid. Then have a dripper going throughout the day! Every single one of his urates have been perfectly hydrated so far which Ive been so happy with! :)

My one super big plant in the middle i initally had problems with because i forget to add drainage holes..... (i know LOL big mistake) however i repotted it with drainage holes and added a drainage layer around 1 week ago. I am scared its either going to mold or die from the 2 weeks it didnt have drainage holes, so Ive been patiently waiting to see if the top of it becomes dry, and it hasn't yet so Im scared its never going to dry out and develop root rot.
Home depot is my favorite. lol So they have drain pans there for hot water heaters. Some even have the pipe hook up so you can add pvc pipe to go into a bucket. This would go under your cage.

Because you are dealing with high humidity. I would do the back and one side only. Then make sure your overspray is shooting that way. Typically this will be the opposite side from your basking fixture.

Which mist system do you use? Is it loud? I think I should probably try adding a large bin underneath to try to capture access water so I dont need to wipe it up everytime haha
I use the Wacool mini reptile mister (the FOGGER that I use is the Repti Zoo 4L). IMO it's not loud. You can definitely hear it but it doesn't seem loud to me, and you can adjust how strong the water comes out. I use it at a little under 50%

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TZV31LH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085G5LJFF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And definitely!! The bin underneath is an absolute must imo

Back
Top Bottom