soil cover

turrgon

i just my new red bar baby ambilobe and the seller gave me enough crickets to last a few days. the setup i have now may be less temporary than originally planned and it includes 2 little plants in about 3 inches of soil. whats a good idea to keep the crickets from digging??

You could cover the soil with mesh screen but the crickets would probably try digging into the plant crowns.

Due to this reason, many people advise against using soil as a bottom. Most people use just paper towel, enough to soak up water and gather feces. If you put the mesh netting, it would just make it possible for them to breed easier without the males eating the eggs. So in short, to keep them from digging, take out the soil. Another thought, if you really dont want to remove the soil would be to lessen the crickit amount. Maybe say, put three crickets at a time. This way he can keep up with the amount your putting in and wont leave the extras to dig. I know you probably want to keep the soil but it is also a breeding ground for bacterias. I just built my new cage and had all these same questions and answers from many people so decided against the bottom soil. Anyway, hope this helps.

Pots, No substrate is the best substrate in this instance... what do you have your cham in now? You need to get a screened enclosure and the proper lighting for him/her as well.. Do you have basking spot and uvb lights going right now?

Back
Top Bottom