So I lost my chameleon!:confused:

Chamero

So yesterday day I decided to put my cham outside in his outdoor cage. Lately he’s been escaping his indoor free range and I figured its due to him being between 5 – 5 ½ months old and he is just exploring.

Anyway, checking on him the last time at 5pm I noticed him gone! He was there just 15 mins prior but now is no where in sight. Since the cage is “in progress” the bottom is not totally secured, meaning he went through the bottom flooring, dropped down to the cement, and went for it.

By this time it was already about 60F and dark so I figured he wouldn’t get to far. Lucky it was rather warm last night. Come this mornings search, there was a nice fog but no cham. Checked again when it got warmer to see if he was basking and still no sign of him. So as of now, im still charmless.

My questions to you guys are:

How much ground can they cover in a day/week?

Could the neighbors bush possibly be his home for the next week or so, or do they walk to different places daily?

Should I leave a way for him to get back up to the cage? Ive seen this work for indoor free-rangers and was wondering if I could apply the same method. Anyway, Ima go look again… don’t leave your chams out!

Ive been through this myself. I lost one for 2 days and spent the whole time searching. One thing I did was put dixie cups with a few crix in all the bushes and trees around my house. This isnt what made me find her but its a good idea. If the crix are gone you can bet he is somewhere near. Just dont give up. I was about to call it and then bam I looked up and there she was. She was in a tree about 50 yards away across a gravel parking lot. Also another idea I had was to spray cold water with a hose in all the trees and plants. This may make him move and be more noticeable. I wish you luck.

Usually they don't go far......up the first tree they come to. Keep looking and looking and looking. Jann

Might not be a bad idea to put a heat lamp out somewere....he may be attracted to that source of heat.

..why would you house an animal in a unfinished cage?

keep searching areas that are knee high and above. The mornings are the best time to search because they will be up high looking for the sun to warm them up.

Do keep looking, and don't get discouraged. So many golks here have found their chams after days, weeks, and even one guy was missing for 4 months. The owner found him in the neighbors yard, if I remember correctly.

Hi,

wait till it is dark in the night. When you search him with a flashlight you may have success. Nearly every species I know is very bright in the night.
They often are on the ends of the branches when they sleep, because there they are saver.

Yeah mine came back after two months. I found him on top of the cage tring to get in to see his female friend.

Ok so I tried the water thing this morning. No luck yet, but ima do it again later. I do think ill find him in a few days. Thinking about it now though , I think this can be a positive thing... hes out getting the best UVB he can get, and hopefully learning a lot about the world...lol... Just hope the birds to get him...

Do keep looking, and don't get discouraged. So many golks here have found their chams after days, weeks, and even one guy was missing for 4 months. The owner found him in the neighbors yard, if I remember correctly.

This was my little carpet chameleon you speak of. She was out for a day of sun and never usually went anywhere. However, being she was close to laying eggs any day, I assume she went exploring for a dig. Almost four months later she was found in my neighbors yard three houses down and behind me. She definitely found enough food to keep fat, and there's some lateralis eggs somewhere out there.

Anyways, keep your hopes up! They always end up coming out of the blue. :)

So look what I found today!

So I just got home from work, went out to go give the bushes another quick scan, and what do I see… my lost chameleon trying to warm up on a cold day…gotcha!…I knew he was just wishin he had a basking lamp. Anyway, I got the broom, a stool, and hopped the wall to retrieve. Here are some pics…

Attachments

• Escape route.jpg
    Escape route.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 279
  • What I saw first.jpg
    What I saw first.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 243
  • What I saw second.jpg
    What I saw second.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Him noticing the camera.jpg
    Him noticing the camera.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 268
  • After capture.jpg
    After capture.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 320
Very happy to hear you found him!!!! He was almost impossible to find in that tree!!!

We use to live right down beach blvd from you, in La Habra!

Back
Top Bottom