Snails....Silkworms......Roaches (Not Dubias, not waxed)

Thatwizard420

Chameleon Enthusiast
Tryna find a plug that has silkworms and a roach my Cham willing to eat... Also I’m bored by his diet... Who has Mantis, Snails on deck? Currently he only eats Crickets, Superworms, Calciworms, and waxworme every now and then. Tryna eliminate Crickets since they’re loud, stinky and boring... Also I looked at some prices in our sponsors, but they tax.. Anybody got a plug near Tucson Area with good feeders? Or a good website? Or Am I just tripping?

Tryna find a plug that has silkworms and a roach my Cham willing to eat... Also I’m bored by his diet... Who has Mantis, Snails on deck? Currently he only eats Crickets, Superworms, Calciworms, and waxworme every now and then. Tryna eliminate Crickets since they’re loud, stinky and boring... Also I looked at some prices in our sponsors, but they tax.. Anybody got a plug near Tucson Area with good feeders? Or a good website? Or Am I just tripping?

Your cham is an adult, right? I don't think mantids would be practical in that case. The only cost-effective way to feed mantids, in my experience, is to either hatch the nymphs yourself from an ooth or to buy a bunch of nymphs at a time. But they will be much too small to be of much use to an adult veiled. And larger mantids are sold with the price tag assuming they will be pets, so unless you want to spend $20-$50 on a single treat bug, I'd look elsewhere.

Some people raise snails on the forum, but it's not a huge number of people. I've been curious about this, but don't have firsthand experience.

If you're looking for something exciting and new, I'd recommend getting some stick insects from fullthrottlefeeders

Your cham is an adult, right? I don't think mantids would be practical in that case. The only cost-effective way to feed mantids, in my experience, is to either hatch the nymphs yourself from an ooth or to buy a bunch of nymphs at a time. But they will be much too small to be of much use to an adult veiled. And larger mantids are sold with the price tag assuming they will be pets, so unless you want to spend $20-$50 on a single treat bug, I'd look elsewhere.

Some people raise snails on the forum, but it's not a huge number of people. I've been curious about this, but don't have firsthand experience.

If you're looking for something exciting and new, I'd recommend getting some stick insects from fullthrottlefeeders
Yeah, he is an adult. I want a Pet Mantis!!

Snails are illegal without a permit to ship from my understanding.

@snitz427 is on vacation I believe, but her silkworms have been the best I've come across.

I have close to 20 roach colonies if you're interested in something.

Hornworms are great for hydration

Stickbugs are another option and you can raise a colony fairly easily.

Snails are illegal without a permit to ship from my understanding.

@snitz427 is on vacation I believe, but her silkworms have been the best I've come across.

I have close to 20 roach colonies if you're interested in something.

Hornworms are great for hydration

Stickbugs are another option and you can raise a colony fairly easily.
Yeah, we get in a lot of trouble if the Agriculture department finds a single snail in the farm.
Is your website Fulltrootlefeeders?

Okay so Snail's are illegal to Ship Across state Lines.

You can ship snail's, with in state lines. I have some eggs, I just had a clutch. I dont know if shipping Eggs is a good idea.

Once my eggs hatch, I will be done with my WCs. So I can ship you those, or if you want to wait for my babies to grow a little I can give you some of them. Apparently there is some pet store in Tuscon that sells snail's, they were talking about it on the snail Facebook, but I never found out who it is.

Either way, your going to have to breed them, to get more. As I don't have many, but hit up the snail Fbook group, and you may be able to get that petstore plug or a breeder that has some in Tuscon, there is a few in that area, that might have some today/sooner than mine are ready.

I am working on a colony of Harlequin Flower Beetles, so I may have some of those in a couple of months. But fair warning beetle care is kind of expensive, as are beetles.

Okay so Snail's are illegal to Ship Across state Lines.

You can ship snail's, with in state lines. I have some eggs, I just had a clutch. I dont know if shipping Eggs is a good idea.

Once my eggs hatch, I will be done with my WCs. So I can ship you those, or if you want to wait for my babies to grow a little I can give you some of them. Apparently there is some pet store in Tuscon that sells snail's, they were talking about it on the snail Facebook, but I never found out who it is.

Either way, your going to have to breed them, to get more. As I don't have many, but hit up the snail Fbook group, and you may be able to get that petstore plug or a breeder that has some in Tuscon, there is a few in that area, that might have some today/sooner than mine are ready.
Hell yeah thanks.... I can make the trip to cali. I dont have a FB

Hell yeah thanks.... I can make the trip to cali. I dont have a FB

Cali? Cali for what? I'm in AZ I can send you some in a few weeks most likely. If you want to wait. But their is a pet store in Tuscon apparently. Someone in the snail group was selling to AZ peeps and said they breed them in mass for a Pet Store in Tuscon. Maybe call around.

They do need apparently a pretty large tank, depending how many you keep. If you have too many, they will excrete toxins to kill off each other till there is less. I have heard 1 per gallon, and read a study saying at 3 per gallon 27 of 30 survived to adulthood. So I think your safe with 3 per gallon, maybe more if you feed them before adulthood (which you will) so we will have to just learn that as we go I guess. We need a snail raising thread for all the snail raisers to post out experiences. The info is thin, and the snail people are trying to keep them as pets, so they give 5 a 40gallon breeder lol.

I planned to put mine in a 18x18x12. I have changed my mind. I am going to out them into a 18x18x24 I have around unused with a broken lid. They do want high humidity, so I am going to replace the lid with Plexiglass. Completely.

Last edited:
Cali? Cali for what? I'm in AZ I can send you some in a few weeks most likely. If you want to wait. But their is a pet store in Tuscon apparently. Someone in the snail group was selling to AZ peeps and said they breed them in mass for a Pet Store in Tuscon. Maybe call around.

They do need apparently a pretty large tank, depending how many you keep. If you have too many, they will excrete toxins to kill off each other till there is less. I have heard 1 per gallon, and read a study saying at 3 per gallon 27 of 30 survived to adulthood. So I think your safe with 3 per gallon, maybe more if you feed them before adulthood (which you will) so we will have to just learn that as we go I guess. We need a snail raising thread for all the snail raisers to post out experiences. The info is thin, and the snail people are trying to keep them as pets, so they give 5 a 40gallon breeder lol.

I planned to put mine in a 18x18x12. I have changed my mind. I am going to out them into a 18x18x24 I have around unused with a broken lid. They do want high humidity, so I am going to replace the lid with Plexiglass. Completely.
Ohh you in ShowLow.... I was in Honda last week fishing... I have a 30g aquarium I don’t use.... can I keep 10 there?

We definitely need a good snail thread. I have four and haven't had luck breeding. I'm about to switch up their enclosure to try again.

Ohh you in ShowLow.... I was in Honda last week fishing... I have a 30g aquarium I don’t use.... can I keep 10 there?

Ya you could easily keep 10 in there. I had 12 in a 5 gallon and they bred for me. Adults. Then we had 2 in. Critter Keeper small. Those just laid, my wife killed the ones in the 5 gallon on accident.

Don't leave their tank outside in AZ sunny day, you will have escargot.

My wife took them outside to get the FFs out, and forgot them, and they were cooked in 2 hours. I missed their eggs till they hatched, so she killed the babies too :(. But our 2 in the CK just laid about 90 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom