Small spot on side of veld cham

Alejandro17

I have a veld chameleon that I just bought 3 weeks ago thats 4 mouths old and I noticed a small circle on the side of his body thats brown on the outside and white on the inside could it be a burn or infection? he is very active and eats good could any one help?

Does it look like this? or is is different?

PAN1a.gif

Looks like a burn to me.
What are your temps set at?
And how close does he have to get the the bulb to bask?

HOLY moly! How hot is it under the bulb? I use a 40 watt to get 85 degrees about 6 inches away... I can't imagine how hot 100 watts is.

Digital thermometer is what you need. You need to know the exact temps so burns dont happen. His basking should be around 80-85 degrees max.

Unless your house drops below 50 at night you dont need a night time heat source. The red bulbs disturb sleep patterns anyways.

You dont need anything for night time unless it drops below 50 degrees. If it does go down to 50 your best bet will be a space heater to warm the whole room.

Wow yeah. Looks like burn is the problem lol :rolleyes:.

I am at a 65 w and I get up to 95, so I have to move it far away from the cage just so it gets down to 87.

No light is needed at night time, you need to go down to a waaaay lower wattage, and get the burn checked out by a vet to see what you can do for it.
Do you use a UVB linear tube?

the basking spot is 5 inchs away and for heat i use a 100w
Howdy Alejandro,

As a sanity check, stick the back of your hand right at the basking spot and keep it there for a minute or so and that will give you an idea of what temp your chameleon's skin/body is likley to be exposed to from a 100W at 5 inches. It is ok to use a 100W incandescent light but it must be placed at the appropriate distance :eek:. For example, I use a 60W flood set at a distance of about 6"-8" to get a skin temp of about 85-90F for an adult Veiled. If I had to guess, a 100W flood might need to be 12" away.

The advantages of higher wattage is not so much that you can get higher temps but that you can create a larger lighted/heated area by being able to place it higher up and still develop 85-90F.

If you happen to be lighting/heating dozens of enclosures (not me!) then the costs begin to add-up and using a 60W becomes more economical.

Many of us use an infrared digital temp sensor (like tempgun.com) to read our chameleon's actual skin/body temp. Do a search here and you'll see plenty of links to various models from $10 to $50.

Back
Top Bottom