Possible open cut from dropping onto branch???

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I noticed earlier that when Spike was getting down from climbing on the top of his enclosure that he kinda fell down and caught himself on some branches. I just went to try to hand feed him but noticed a little red spot.

So I'm wondering of this looks like a cut??? Is that blood? It's hard to say for me. It's almost like it's 1 scale that is red.

He looks fine otherwise.

He felt about 9 inches. Although his front of his body was dangling trying to reach down already.

I took the best pics I could. You should be able to zoom in and see the red spot. It is in the middle of his body on the white bar.

There almost might be the slightest bit of bruising there but he's also changing his white bars to a pretty light blue color so I'd if that's what I'm seeing.

1) Do you think this calls for a vet appointment?

2) How concerned should I be for infection?

3) what are the earliest signs I can look for in an infection for him?

4) could this be something other than an open cut??

He seems to be moving perfectly normal.

Attachments

• 20230904_152031.jpg
    20230904_152031.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230904_152513.jpg
    20230904_152513.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 44
If you have any silver sulfadiazine you could put a teensy dab on that spot. If you don’t have any of that, regular neosporin without pain relief or manuka honey for wounds would work as well. Chams are a bit tougher than they seem when it comes to falling. When threatened, as a last resort to save their life they will throw themselves out of their tree. I am a bit concerned why he fell though. Maybe he needs some additional branches so he can get around easier.

If you have any silver sulfadiazine you could put a teensy dab on that spot. If you don’t have any of that, regular neosporin without pain relief or manuka honey for wounds would work as well. Chams are a bit tougher than they seem when it comes to falling. When threatened, as a last resort to save their life they will throw themselves out of their tree. I am a bit concerned why he fell though. Maybe he needs some additional branches so he can get around easier.

So you'd say that's definitely an open cut?

I don't have that but I can run to the store. I'm gonna need some ideas on how to get that on him because he welcome to me handling him yet.

So he didn't fall from a branch. He was climbing the top screen. He was ready to come down and was hanging from his back legs on the screen with his body stretched down.

He dropped down on purpose I'm pretty sure. Usually he does this onto the pothos. Today he landed on the branches.

Attachments

• 20230904_160035.jpg
    20230904_160035.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 44
@MissSkittles

I forgot to mention that I DID see him drop but I did not specifically see him fall on this spot specifically on his body. Is it possible, considering the locale he is, that this is pigmentation coming through and not a wound?

And considering he "drops down" to get down from the top of the enclosure.... do you think I should provide him with some more sticks as options to safely get down from the top of the enclosure? Usually he just drops down to the pothos. Not sure why he did this today. But now I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I spoke to his breeder and they think he's totally fine and not to do anything but monitor it for now. I'm gonna do that because I just tried to test handle him and he's clearly not ready to cooperate that much with me lol. He let me take some spur of the moment pics though 🤣 then he retreated as I tried to get my hand closer to him more.

Attachments

• 20230904_164652.jpg
    20230904_164652.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230904_164715.jpg
    20230904_164715.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 50
Ahh…ok. He’s being a little daredevil. Sounds like maybe this is something he enjoys doing. As he gets older and too heavy to walk along his screen top, his fun chameleon game of ‘drop onto stuff’ will have to end. Just keep an eye on him, as you are already doing. :)

Ahh…ok. He’s being a little daredevil. Sounds like maybe this is something he enjoys doing. As he gets older and too heavy to walk along his screen top, his fun chameleon game of ‘drop onto stuff’ will have to end. Just keep an eye on him, as you are already doing. :)
Yes he LOVES doing this. Does it once a day (sometimes twice), just to make sure he gives me my daily heart attack. I've semi gotten used to it but as he's getting bigger he's getting more adventurous. He used to climb on the pothos which easily puts him in range of the top screen. Now he likes to stand on 2 legs on the branches and just stretch his arms up and then pull himself up!! lol

Yes he LOVES doing this. Does it once a day (sometimes twice), just to make sure he gives me my daily heart attack. I've semi gotten used to it but as he's getting bigger he's getting more adventurous. He used to climb on the pothos which easily puts him in range of the top screen. Now he likes to stand on 2 legs on the branches and just stretch his arms up and then pull himself up!! lol
Lol chameleon pull-ups 🤣 🤣 🤣

Back
Top Bottom