Slow Grower, or is something wrong with my care..

ChameleonRave

Avid Member
Cortez, my 8 month old Panther Cross Chameleon seems to be on the very small side. His limbs are straight, he has a repti-sun 5.0 linear tube light, he gets supplemented like usual.. I weighed him last month at 11 grams 4 inches H/V and about 7 inches H/T. He eats like any chameleon should. I try to vary his diet, and I gutload with what I have at my disposal.

Chameleon Info
:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

50% Nosy Be x 25% Amilobe x 25% Ambanja Panther Chameleon, 8 months old, since he was 2.5 months, so since about July.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Whenever I clean the cage, and every few days, just to check him over.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

I feed him 1/4 inch crickets, small/nymph dubia, a mealworm as a treat once every few months, and small superworms, also waxworms, butterworms when I get them. I feed him everyday since he is so small. He gets about 20 insects a day. I gutload them over night, with collard greens, carrots, romaine, and kale.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Reptivite, TetraFauna Multivitamin, Fluckers calcium with d3. I supplement on a tight schedule of calcium w/o d3 every feeding except the four days he gets the other supplements, multivitamin two days out of the month same with calcium w/d3.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

I use a dripper and a misting bottle, I mist two to three times a day. I see him drink and also cleaning his eyes when I mist.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Solid feces, brown with white. He hasn't been to the vet yet, since he hasn't had any problems that I can see, although he is going in for a check up before christmas.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

He seems to be a slow grower and isn't getting his colors as a panther his age should be getting. Still showing somewhat baby colorings.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

All screen cage, bought at local pet shop, but it was a LLLreptile cage from the previous owner. It's 2'x2'x3' screen enclosure.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

I use Zoo Med Repti-Sun 5.0 Linear Tube Light, I use a 40 watt light (reg. house bulb) and they are on for 12 hours a day. The Repti-Sun is getting replace at the end of the month.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

Basking temp is about 85-86 degrees, the night temps drop down to the mid 70'- high 60's. I use my analog temp. gauges, but they aren't accurate, so I am getting a digital temp. gun.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

My humidity levels are at 65-80% and I use all live plants and mist three times daily as stated above to keep up the humidity. I am using an analog gauge.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Yes, I am using a palm, ficus and schefflera arboricola.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

It is behind my bathroom door on my dresser against the back corner. No vents/fans etc in that area. Also it's not a high traffic area, as I'm usually not in my room. It's about 6-7 feet at the top of the cage.

Location - Where are you geographically located?

South Dakota.

Current Problem
- The current problem you are concerned about.

The current problem is his size. I'm worried somethign might be wrong with my care so he is not growing much. He's gone through about 6 shed's with me while in my care.

Last edited:
These are the most recent photos of Cortez.

Attachments

• 102_0849.jpg
    102_0849.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 102_0848.jpg
    102_0848.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 241
pictures can be deceiving. but either way, he looks all around healthy - just a tiny bit skinny. i am not sure why he would be so small. maybe he's a "late bloomer"?

He does look a bit skinny. When conditions allow I would put him outside to expose him to natural sunlight. Panthers are sun worshippers and mine seem to responded positively to natural sunshine. What yours is eating seems to be enough however for extra food I would recomend ocasional silk worms, my panthers always eat them.

He does look a bit skinny. When conditions allow I would put him outside to expose him to natural sunlight. Panthers are sun worshippers and mine seem to responded positively to natural sunshine. What yours is eating seems to be enough however for extra food I would recomend ocasional silk worms, my panthers always eat them.

I would love to have him outside, but it's too cold up until about the end of May.. I tried silkworms, but it was a disaster. I've been trying to get the courage back to get some again. Thanks for the help!

Thats a very small guy then. My 9 month old masoala at almost 100 grams.. I dont think your scale is accurate, or he is just very small (baby size).

Thats a very small guy then. My 9 month old masoala at almost 100 grams.. I dont think your scale is accurate, or he is just very small (baby size).

The whole point of this thread, is my worry about him being small. Either his age is incorrect or my scale is wrong. It's not a used one. I went out to Wal-Mart and bought one.

Hmm.. Maybe he'll hit a growth spurt soon. Idk what else it could be. The scale is off though, i can assure you. The baby i have is not more than 2" S/V and 6 grams. Is it digital?

Hmm.. Maybe he'll hit a growth spurt soon. Idk what else it could be. The scale is off though, i can assure you. The baby i have is not more than 2" S/V and 6 grams. Is it digital?

Mine is digital. I went through all the settings. etc. it came out at 10 grams, but my sister cared for him the past week an a half, so not sure on his eating. He's been getting more food this week, so hoping for improvement...

Mine is digital. I went through all the settings. etc. it came out at 10 grams, but my sister cared for him the past week an a half, so not sure on his eating. He's been getting more food this week, so hoping for improvement...

Hopefully he gains weight because that is veery small! As long as he is eating and alert he should be fine though

can you take a picture of him next to a dollar bill so we can get an accurate size reference? i know you said inches but i just for my sake would be happy if you did it... i have female that is barely 5 months if not less and she is 11 grams and looks much smaller than your male. the seller must have lied about the age or something. he also has adult colors coming in imho but he is a morph so their colors in some cases can be duller then full breeds with selected breeding... i hope none of this comes off rude i dont mean to be in any way. other than that he looks cool happy and healthy

also when you weigh him are you sure his entire body is on the scale? because if even his tale is touching the ground off the scale he will appear much lighter. what i do to get the most accurate weight reading is place them in a tall cup then get the weight, then weigh the cup alone, and minus the weight of the cup then you have the chameleons true weight...

ehhh im going to say that he is not eight months old. im going to say about maybe somewhere between 4-6 thats just me though mine is about 8 months old and about double that size. very cute looking fellow you have there.

What is the most that scale will weigh -the top load?

Put something on it that you know the weight and see how close it is- some food item from the kitchen- unopened.

Maybe the 100 or the ones place is burnt out and only showing 2?

is it on grams?

He looks healthy. Chams don't grow at the same speed all the time. I have two brothers born the same day, fed the same diet, are raised in the same room, & yet one is twice the size of the other. They eat & grow at their own pace. Looks like your husbandry is spot on so it sounds like he's just a slow grower. Not to worry !

Cobalt was the same way. Here he is at 7 months - You may not be able to tell, but I had a 3 month old that was the same size. Weighed something like 20g and ate like a pig. I kept testing him for parasites and always came back negative.

cobalt7months3.jpg

Then here he is just last month. Now he's completely normal in size, not huge, but normal.

cobaltoutside1.jpg

When he was about 8-9 months old I started free ranging him and this seemed to do wonders for his metabolism. I also started leaving outside for days at a time if the weather allowed it, and all of this seemed to help. But I was in the same boat as you, there wasn't anything wrong with his husbandry and he was eating really well. But he hit 8-9 months and grew quickly to catch up.

So don't be too concerned, he might surprise you one month and catch up to a more typical size.

I'd side with Olimpia on this one! You know I am no expert by any means but your husbandry looks good, Cortez is beautiful. I would give him time, I thought Claude was really small for awhile and he is going on a year old, but the last couple months he has grown a lot!

Back
Top Bottom