Slightly opened mouth ?

Open mouth is scary because it can be anything from just sitting that way for a moment to serious respitory problems.
Keep track of the tiniest details to help narrow it down.

@HankeyPoo fill this out.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled Male, apparently 4-5 months old and with me 3 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Maybe 1-2x a week IF he lets me but not often
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets, Dubai roaches, wax worms, occasional super worm and gut loading with leafy greens and apples just recently potato’s
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calc with out d3 6x a week
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? A dripper and I spray .. looking into mist king How often and how long to you mist? A min or 2 Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No and brown and white is his droppings
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not really

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Small raptibreeze I think 12/12/24 ... but he will be out of that soon to the larger enclosure
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? T5 rectangular and a 60 or 70 watt basking bulb I think I will have to check when I get home and 12 hours on at 8:30 am off at 8:30 pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking 75-80 and 66 at night
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 50-70 at night How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Just keeping up a little hydrometer
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos and I can’t think of the other one
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? We just moved it from the dining room to the spare bedroom and I’m not sure of the height from the floor but it’s taller than me so he can go as high as possible
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? East coast . Syracuse Ny

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. His mouth being slightly opened last night for the first time in 3 months I noticed it

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• 4F01701B-313F-4F6A-A320-EE65F77088E2.jpeg
    4F01701B-313F-4F6A-A320-EE65F77088E2.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 62
  • B16F2E98-65A8-48D8-BC8A-5655220BCC4D.jpeg
    B16F2E98-65A8-48D8-BC8A-5655220BCC4D.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 61
  • A67A442E-22DB-40E3-B65C-4AD002CB660F.jpeg
    A67A442E-22DB-40E3-B65C-4AD002CB660F.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 7A8768D2-D2E9-41D6-B648-113C7481C3C9.jpeg
    7A8768D2-D2E9-41D6-B648-113C7481C3C9.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 60486219-AC9C-4ECB-8C1D-7383C2420297.jpeg
    60486219-AC9C-4ECB-8C1D-7383C2420297.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 7C749C0A-263D-4610-93B2-28443ADF27AD.jpeg
    7C749C0A-263D-4610-93B2-28443ADF27AD.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 58
  • D80C8701-EFCF-44A8-9547-1A3C47822482.jpeg
    D80C8701-EFCF-44A8-9547-1A3C47822482.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 57
Do you have calcium with D3 or Multivitiam?
Attach pic of temperature and humidity gage.
Are you sure it’s T5 and not T8?
What’s humidity during the day?

Do you have calcium with D3 or Multivitiam?
Attach pic of temperature and humidity gage.
Are you sure it’s T5 and not T8?
What’s humidity during the day?
during the day around 50 at night 60-70 and I have calcium with out d3. Calcium with d3 and a multi vitamin.. without d3 daily and with like 1x a week

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 55
during the day around 50 at night 60-70 and I have calcium with out d3. Calcium with d3 and a multi vitamin.. without d3 daily and with like 1x a week
And he only is doing it in this spot where his tail is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 56
It’s 14 inches and a 12 inch enclosure... That I have a larger one coming early November along with a 24 x 24x 48 inch enclosure

And he only is doing it in this spot where his tail is
So if he is only doing his little gaping in the spot where his tail is, that spot may be a bit warm. Your thermometer probe is at the same level as that branch, which is most likely a couple of degrees cooler that the area in which the top of his head would be sitting there.

Ok I was just confused when I seen it say 14 inches well awesome im sure you will have a very happy chameleon!
I hope he’s as happy as I am with him definitely willing to learn! Bought all the wrong stuff in the beginning only because I saw him at the store loved him had to have him .... then started following Neptune the Chamaeleon and had to re-buy everything just because there’s a Chamaeleon on it doesn’t mean it’s OK to buy! Definitely learned that the hard way and spent way too much unnecessary money?

So if he is only doing his little gaping in the spot where his tail is, that spot may be a bit warm. Your thermometer probe is at the same level as that branch, which is most likely a couple of degrees cooler that the area in which the top of his head would be sitting there.
So the thermometer gauge is at the top part of that branch mainly where his butt sits .. should I lower the branch? And if he wants to get warmer he’ll try to climb higher or turn so his head is normally wear his butt sits? It’s so hard to gauge the right temperature for him I thought he was happy for the past three months and now all the sudden I’m noticing this, maybe because it’s he’s getting bigger and his body obviously is growing taller therefore it’s reaching higher to the light? So the only thing I can think of is to lower the branch?

So the thermometer gauge is at the top part of that branch mainly where his butt sits .. should I lower the branch? And if he wants to get warmer he’ll try to climb higher or turn so his head is normally wear his butt sits? It’s so hard to gauge the right temperature for him I thought he was happy for the past three months and now all the sudden I’m noticing this, maybe because it’s he’s getting bigger and his body obviously is growing taller therefore it’s reaching higher to the light? So the only thing I can think of is to lower the branch?
Yes, you could try lowering the branch a couple of inches to take into account his growth. Sometimes just a couple of inches can mean a big difference.

Yes, you could try lowering the branch a couple of inches to take into account his growth. Sometimes just a couple of inches can mean a big difference.
I really hope that’s it! Should I add a couple of vines hanging from the top part of the screen just so he can crawl up there if he wants to? I just seems like so much empty space to me from basking branch to the top of the cage especially when his new bigger cage comes in November

Back
Top Bottom