Slightly opened mouth ?

HankeyPoo

Established Member
is this a common thing chams do? Tonight is the first night in 3 months I noticed him with his mouth open like this? This is his basking spot and it’s between 72-78 degrees with the humidity at about 55 and as soon as I walked towards him he closed his mouth and just swallowed a little and started to walk away from me ?

Attachments

• E9C289B1-463A-485A-BF5A-77086F6A6294.jpeg
    E9C289B1-463A-485A-BF5A-77086F6A6294.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 97270427-1561-444F-AFE1-B5436C6A0F59.jpeg
    97270427-1561-444F-AFE1-B5436C6A0F59.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 102
is this a common thing chams do? Tonight is the first night in 3 months I noticed him with his mouth open like this? This is his basking spot and it’s between 72-78 degrees with the humidity at about 55
Mine did this too for a little bit. I raised his heat bulb just a tiny bit higher and i haven’t seen him do it anymore. Your cham might be a tab bit hot :) just raise the heat bulb and you should be alright

I would raise it. If he dosent feel like he’s warm enough he’ll climb the screen and hang right under his bulb.
If the temperature is in the high 70's where he is sitting then I don't think he's opening it because he's too hot.
so weird cause I haven’t done anything different In Over a month .... and I say different because I removed all my fake plants but the basking area has been the same... this is good to know ... I will lower his branch or make the light higher somehow so it’s not sitting on the enclosure... thanks ?

If the temperature is in the high 70's where he is sitting then I don't think he's opening it because he's too hot.
Totally read that wrong .... so disregard my response cause this doesn’t make since to me either.... I haven’t done anything different for that to be to warm

@HankeyPoo fill this out.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom