Sleeping before lights go off

Tputtwhatwhat

My Cham isn't really "sleeping during the day". He is very active and healthy during the day( moves around, basks, eats, drinks) but... He has been consistantly going to his sleeping spot an hour or sometimes two hours before 'lights out', and goes to bed. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this? Thanks.

My Cham isn't really "sleeping during the day". He is very active and healthy during the day( moves around, basks, eats, drinks) but... He has been consistantly going to his sleeping spot an hour or sometimes two hours before 'lights out', and goes to bed. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this? Thanks.

How long are the lights on?

Mine both "settle in" for the evening before lights out. Sometimes it's as much as an hour, sometimes as little as 15 minutes. It seems to me that the warmer the day has been, the earlier they settle in, but I could be trying to find relationships that aren't there.

12 hours. On at 8am, off at 8pm... I'm not too worried about it, only because he seems in exellent health otherwise. But it's just weird that he goes to bed with tail coiled, and in full 'sleeping colors' with the lights on. It's usually 1.5 hours before true sunset( his cage is in the window)

My three do the exact same thing about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs before lights out. They also sleep on the exact same branch every night which is interesting because my cages have tons of plantlife. Creatures of habit.

My three do the exact same thing about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs before lights out. They also sleep on the exact same branch every night which is interesting because my cages have tons of plantlife. Creatures of habit.

Ok thanks. Haha that's funny, mine chooses different spots, but always in the same plant(pothos). I don't use the word "cute" very often... But a chameleon sleeping, with tail coiled, and eyes at rest.... That's cute

are his eyes closed or is he just hanging out in a sleeping spot waiting for night to come?

Ours hangs out in his sleeping spot an hour or so before lights out. I think they are just winding down and getting ready for lights out.

sounds fine to me... as long as he is eating, drinking and getting around during the day... which it sounds like he is.

i'd move lights on time up a bit? maybe? I have mine on at 8... so right now they are getting a tad bit of morning light in through the window before lights on.... then lights on. but I stagger my lights. UVB on first, then heat lamps 45 minutes later and then mid day the heat lights turn off for a couple of hours to help control the room temp, going into summer. then lights are out around 6:30 or 7... still the room has some light coming in so chams have time to get to sleeping spots if not already there. I have a melleri who is a 'rise, bask..... bask..... bask...... eat... bask..... bask... heads for sleeping spot about one hour before lights out and leeps once there. SOMETIMES he'll 'nap' mid day out of range of the UVB while his basking lamp is off and then come back for more basking. but for the most part he basks all day in his UVB and heat lamp (while it's on).

My cham usually sleeps in the same spot every night too, but check out the second pic! he decided to sleep up against the glass! Haha what a nutter :p

Attachments

• 90157972.jpg
    90157972.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 373e67d1.jpg
    373e67d1.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 157
My cham usually sleeps in the same spot every night too, but check out the second pic! he decided to sleep up against the glass! Haha what a nutter :p

Haha some of the positions they get into for sleep are hilarious. Once when our girl was younger we were looking for her in her cage for about 20 minutes. In the end we found her sleeping holding on to the screen in the top corner of her cage! We were starting to think she escaped or something.

To the original poster, like most other peoples responses here, our cham settles in about an hour before lights out as well. I doubt you have anything to worry about

The room that my chams are in has lots of windows, so 6:00 am is their waking time. (Not mine) By the time I get up at 7:30 they are all awake and ready for breakfast. Needless to say by 6:00pm they have found their sleeping spot and have fallen asleep or are ready. Doesn't matter that the sun is still out - 12 hours is their limit. I wouldn't worry about it, just adjust your times because they aren't gonna.

My Panther goes to his spot and sits there with his tail all curled up when he is ready for bed, I usually turn the light out around that time.

I have one panther who settles in for bed by 4:00 and has his eyes closed by 5:00 every night. He does his winter schedule all year long. He's a healthy boy, just likes to go to bed early:)

Back
Top Bottom