Silkworms/Phoenix worms/ and butterworms

Jared355

Hey guys, today i ordred from one of the site sponsers "mulberry farms" 200 silkworms 150 phoenix worms and 12 butterworms (treats). I was trying to figure out what you guys use to store worms. I was planning on going to wal mart this afternoon and buy a big plastic bin with a lid and cut out the top and sides and replace it with some kind of mesh. Would this work to keep them alive? Also can i store these guys together, or should i put dividers in the bin to keep them seprate?

thanks for the help:D

Hey Jared,

I use a Rubbermaid shallow tub lined with wax paper for the silkworms. The pheonix worms stay in thier provided container, along with the butterworms. Pheonix's need to stay between 50-70 degees and the butters require refrigeration.

-Jay

don't forget to buy food for your feeders :)
Silkworms will need food provided for them and they grow pretty quickly. Newly hatched and small silkworms must be maintained at warm temperatures (at least 78 degrees) or they will not grow and will usually die. Phoenix worms will last several weeks in the container they arrive in, temperature between 50-70, and the cooler end of that range will make them last a bit longer. They don't need to be fed. Butterworms are shipped in wheat bran and can be refrigerated in the container they arrive in.

All care instructions are printed on the top of each container, so no guess work there. Be sure to get some chow for the silkworms, when you order. Sliced carrots and potato will due for the butterworms, and the pheonix worms just require a few drops of water every few days.

Plastic containers that are the size of a shoebox are available everywhere, and I just drill holes in the lid, it is a lot easier than the cut out the lid and glue screen on system.

Nick

Mulberry is pretty good about helping out with the bugs.

Remember... if you buy chow for the silk worms... you don't just sprinkle the powder on the worms.... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom