Dehydration tips?

IotaPhi936

I have a two year old male panther (captive bred, had him since he was baby) that is, according to a $200 veterinary test - in perfect health. The only problem noted was dehydration. This guy will not drink to save his life (literally).
HOW I KNOW HE'S DEHYDRATED-->Dorsal line is visible sometimes, eyes sunken, wrinkly skin, sometimes closed, orange urates, and the vet said so.
WHAT I HAVE DONE TO KEEP HIM HYDRATED:
(1) Increasing waterings --> I have experimented with days where he got over an hour of watering, to no avail. He typically just freezes up and sits motionless.
(2) Syringe (forced)--> When he is looking really bad, I'll agitate him so he opens his mouth and then squirt in a little syringe full of water. He always perks up after this, but I shouldn't have to do this to keep him alive.
(3) "Making Rain"--> He hates getting sprayed, so I've tried adjusting the nozzles so that it sprays the top of the cage and leaves, making more droplets for him to see.
(4) Showers---> Like the increased waterings, sometimes I'll get a drinking response where he opens his mouth and licks his lips and swallows repeatedly. But this doesn't seem to be a great solution, especially longterm.
(5) Fogger--> I have a humidifier that I keep on throughout the day that puts a light fog throughout the cage. In the early morning hours this comes on as well and creates a dew.
HUSBANDRY
(1) Mistking: I have the double nozzle sprayer. It goes off for about a minute each hour of the night to keep things humid. Then he gets a 5 minute shower before the light comes on at 8:45am. He then gets a 20 minute shower at 1:45pm, and a 10 minute shower at 6:45pm. Lights are off at 8:15pm.
(2) Dripper: I have tried drippers and he doesn't seem to pay any attention to them, but I still provide one that slowly drips onto a large leaf.
(3) Live Plants: Almost the whole cage is live plants, and it's bio-active.
(4) Humidity: Usually between 60-70%, but never lower than 40% or higher than 90%. To stimulate drinking, I have bumped things up to a steady 80% humidity with no improvement.
(5) Feeders: Mostly Dubia Roaches and Superworms, but also supplement with crickets, hornworms, phoenix worms, silkworms, and occasionally waxworms.
(6) Supplements: Regular dusting of non-D3 Calcium. About one meal a week I dust with multivitamin and a hint of Vitamin A (retinol).
(7) Enclosure: 48 inch by 24 by 24 DragonLedge, Bio-Active with lots of ivy and an umbrella tree.
(8) Lighting/Temperature: 75 watt and an Arcadia UVB (changed every 6 months). There's also a plant growing light as well. Basking spot is in the low 90s, ambient temperature at the top is in the 80s, then it gradients down to room temperature at the bottom.

ANY OTHER THOUGHTS??? HOW DO YOU STIMULATE DRINKING???

I have adult Jackson who won't drink unless his body is misted. If you have a mistking and he moves away from the spray, try misting him by hand. Takes a few minutes but my cham will eventually start opening up his mouth and start taking in drops. It takes some patience on my part but otherwise I would never see him drink.

I have adult Jackson who won't drink unless his body is misted. If you have a mistking and he moves away from the spray, try misting him by hand. Takes a few minutes but my cham will eventually start opening up his mouth and start taking in drops. It takes some patience on my part but otherwise I would never see him drink.
Interesting, so I have tried this myself and it sometimes works. Even so, he just does the lip-licking+swallow a few times but never drinks from the actual droplets. I know many go without ever seeing your chameleon drink from drops, but since I know mine isn't drinking enough, I think this is a different issue (I don't care if I see him drink, I just want him to drink). I think I may be stuck with your advice and just have to give him some one-on-one attention to make sure he's drinking. Ugh, I just wish there was a better way. Thanks for your response.

Very interesting I would've thought high humidity and 100% fog throughout the day would be enough hydration
I know right?!?! I am sure he is getting a little water when he opens his mouth and licks his lips, then swallows. But clearly it's not enough. Even when I get a pipette or syringe and drop it onto the tip of his mouth, rarely does he ever start the drinking response.

You should not be fogging at all in the cage during the day because this can give them respiratory infections... If you utilize it at night when lights are off and temps are coolest and can get an 85% level you will see a big difference in dehydration.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-naturalistic-hydration/
Thanks for the response. I will try turning it off during the day (though I have to ask, why would risk of respiratory infection be any different at night?) and then letting it rip at night to see if that works. I'm skeptical though, his humidity is already about that high at night, perhaps even higher when I aim the fogger at him.

I use a fogger at night (on a timer) and I have no problems with hydration. When the misters go off in the day she doesn't even care about all the water on the leafs. I would probably look for some hornworms as they have high moisture content, and they seem to be the to-go to when chams are having hydration problems. Plus they go crazy because of the blue/turquoise coloring. Hope it helps!

Thanks for the response. I will try turning it off during the day (though I have to ask, why would risk of respiratory infection be any different at night?) and then letting it rip at night to see if that works. I'm skeptical though, his humidity is already about that high at night, perhaps even higher when I aim the fogger at him.
So it is the wet air combined with the heat from the lights that gives them the respiratory infection. It is different then they breathing in wet cool air.
I have mine going into my cage and I get about 87% total humidity and my ambient temps are down to about 66 when mine goes on. I run non stop for 4-5 hours. I never see my boy drinking and he has perfect urates. Look at the link I gave you... 30 minutes a day for showering is really really unheard of. Most do not like being wet like that.

I use a fogger at night (on a timer) and I have no problems with hydration. When the misters go off in the day she doesn't even care about all the water on the leafs. I would probably look for some hornworms as they have high moisture content, and they seem to be the to-go to when chams are having hydration problems. Plus they go crazy because of the blue/turquoise coloring. Hope it helps!
What setting do you put your fogger on? I have a large humidifier that does the same thing but I just don't want to give too much fog and have him get a respiratory infection.

Interesting, so I have tried this myself and it sometimes works. Even so, he just does the lip-licking+swallow a few times but never drinks from the actual droplets. I know many go without ever seeing your chameleon drink from drops, but since I know mine isn't drinking enough, I think this is a different issue (I don't care if I see him drink, I just want him to drink). I think I may be stuck with your advice and just have to give him some one-on-one attention to make sure he's drinking. Ugh, I just wish there was a better way. Thanks for your response.

If you can get him stimulated enough to open his mouth, he might take it from you with a syringe

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleons-drinking-water.174261/#post-1556319

What setting do you put your fogger on? I have a large humidifier that does the same thing but I just don't want to give too much fog and have him get a respiratory infection.

I leave it at the max setting, I bought some extension hoses and attached it to the top of the enclosure at different places so it would spread the fog throughout, here's what I'm talking about

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VCLR6SZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jYFgFbX55DEDA

I Jerry rigged it to the top of my humidifier and that is attached to a timer, it goes off for about an hour, twice at night, one at 12am and one around 4am , I've noticed that I rarely see my Cham drinking from the leaves when the misters come on during the day after starting the use of the humi at night.

I leave it at the max setting, I bought some extension hoses and attached it to the top of the enclosure at different places so it would spread the fog throughout, here's what I'm talking about

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VCLR6SZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jYFgFbX55DEDA

I Jerry rigged it to the top of my humidifier and that is attached to a timer, it goes off for about an hour, twice at night, one at 12am and one around 4am , I've noticed that I rarely see my Cham drinking from the leaves when the misters come on during the day after starting the use of the humi at night.
This is very helpful, I will try this from now on and see how he does. Thanks!

FYI for those that fog and do not cut holes for the pipe to go through the screen. If you have it sitting directly on the screen top it will pool moisture and cause the flow of fog to stop completely. Make sure you lift it up off the screen an inch so the fog can flow around the pooling water. Otherwise you may think your fogging when in fact it is only working the first 30 minutes before backing up on itself. :)

Back
Top Bottom