Brainstorming and suggestions for new / uncommon feeder insect production on a large scale

I think these fall under their same guidelines as Grasshoppers. Does your Cham like those green stink bugs?
Yes, in fact I fed one to him today. Katydid season is coming to an end here in VA. Should only be a couple more weeks and they'll be gone. Had a cicada fly down on me while mowing today. I couldn't capture him, he flew off to fast but my Cham has eaten a few of them this year. I live in a very small rural county and I have always fed wild insects to Clyde.

Always good to meet a fellow bugger!

I live on a good chunk of land in southeast Louisiana with few neighbors but the ones I do have think I’m nuts. They act like they have never seen a 31 year old man chasing bugs around his yard before! It takes me hours to cut my grass because I’m always jumping off my mower to grab a bug! I even have a small cricket keeper bolted to the hood of my mower.

Being in the swamp I’m pretty sure I live in the bug capital of the USA. My 6yo son and I spend many summer nights catching Katydids, praying mantis, huge moths, stick bugs, dragon flies, and everything else by the dozens. We just walk or ride my Cam-Am with spotlights, all the bugs freeze just like deer in headlights. It’s almost too easy. We have still been seeing a lot of the adults but the baby’s are absolutely everywhere right now. The grass looks alive they are so thick. We have been scooping them out and tossing them into our hatchling enclosure for weeks, they won’t even touch store bought crickets now.

We also have a huge vegetable garden and I have released(and temporarily lost!) both of my chams into the garden to help with bugs but I noticed neither of them would ever touch a stink bug, that’s why your post caught my attention. Wish mine would...
E6F90EFD-7784-47EF-84EB-CEF6F034BB97.jpeg
94956DA0-8D15-4BCE-94B8-05CE3EAC51AA.jpeg
F9809022-0C66-4B18-918F-06B9DD4A38F3.jpeg
D3CCD073-39B0-4D40-869E-F819CAB413B2.jpeg
5EA6E029-6C62-41B4-8449-0FD59518C272.jpeg
9EC6B5D1-DBD0-4183-BFCD-EE27F00B7987.jpeg

Always good to meet a fellow bugger!

I live on a good chunk of land in southeast Louisiana with few neighbors but the ones I do have think I’m nuts. They act like they have never seen a 31 year old man chasing bugs around his yard before! It takes me hours to cut my grass because I’m always jumping off my mower to grab a bug! I even have a small cricket keeper bolted to the hood of my mower.

Being in the swamp I’m pretty sure I live in the bug capital of the USA. My 6yo son and I spend many summer nights catching Katydids, praying mantis, huge moths, stick bugs, dragon flies, and everything else by the dozens. We just walk or ride my Cam-Am with spotlights, all the bugs freeze just like deer in headlights. It’s almost too easy. We have still been seeing a lot of the adults but the baby’s are absolutely everywhere right now. The grass looks alive they are so thick. We have been scooping them out and tossing them into our hatchling enclosure for weeks, they won’t even touch store bought crickets now.

We also have a huge vegetable garden and I have released(and temporarily lost!) both of my chams into the garden to help with bugs but I noticed neither of them would ever touch a stink bug, that’s why your post caught my attention. Wish mine would...View attachment 214818View attachment 214819View attachment 214820View attachment 214821View attachment 214822View attachment 214823
Just now gett’n around viewing this thread again - That’s alot of K-dids!!!! I’m 54 and am still a kid at heart - Love to put on a headlight and go Bug hunt’n. Love your young boy following in Dad’s footsteps - Little countryboy!!!

Back
Top Bottom