Posting my silkworm experience

LOVE this thread and thank you all for sharing so much!! I would love to start breeding a few staple feeders - silkies included. I worry A LOT about quantity! I only have one cham and this is a TON and overwhelming! Anybody have general advice for scaling down this whole production significantly? I'm not sure if it's worth it, but I hate spending money repeatedly on feeders when I could breed them myself.

1000 is too many, and I have 4 chams! I would buy a smaller number of eggs. 100-250. You could feed off plenty and still have enough left to try for eggs. I’d let 3 dozen or more pupate to refill your egg stash - then you can take out and hatch small quantities. Its much easier with less silkworms.

I really dont want to jinx myself - but these guys have been hardy and healthy. I think the key is to keep the lid off while they are growing so that poop dries out and only feed what they’ll eat in a day.

The only silkworms that died were maybe A dozen that didnt successfully pupate. No silkworms died before spinning.

I think it’s well worth breeding your own feeders if possible.
We have been breeding silks for a few years now. We usually do a large hatch every spring, feed a bunch, and cocoon more. Hoping for a couple 100 of cocoons by the time they are all done.
Silk worms seem to be hard to find around here, so I like to always have eggs available.
The chams also love the silk moths too.

I think it’s well worth breeding your own feeders if possible.
We have been breeding silks for a few years now. We usually do a large hatch every spring, feed a bunch, and cocoon more. Hoping for a couple 100 of cocoons by the time they are all done.
Silk worms seem to be hard to find around here, so I like to always have eggs available.
The chams also love the silk moths too.

I agree, raising your own feeders if possible is the way to go. It does take a little more work up front, but will eventually save you time and money.

I also don’t think raising silkworms is as bad as people make it out to be, so long as you are willing to commit a little time every day or two.

I'm gonna share my experience with silkworms. It takes way too much g effort or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I bought about 100 eggs, most of them hatched. I fed them fresh mulberry leaves twice a day, in the morning and at night and it takes time to remove them from the old dried leaves. In the beginning I have no idea they were very sensitive animals and many died. 7(I think) made it into adult moths. It's the process of feeding them that made it tedious for me.

Attachments

• 20180330_161608.jpg
    20180330_161608.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 163
  • 20180410_194543.jpg
    20180410_194543.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 20180426_075340.jpg
    20180426_075340.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 20180427_202542.jpg
    20180427_202542.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 20180426_122244.jpg
    20180426_122244.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 20180416_232953.jpg
    20180416_232953.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 164
  • 20180405_115116.jpg
    20180405_115116.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 20180413_200301.jpg
    20180413_200301.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 20180518_093304.jpg
    20180518_093304.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 20180510_142716.jpg
    20180510_142716.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 170
I started breeding by simply buying 30 adult worms. Fed off ten and the other twenty pupated. 17 moths emerged, 10 of those successfully mated and laid lots of eggs. Those eggs are in fridge. In meantime, I bought 200 eggs, 175 hatched and are now adults, probably a week or two still to go before they're big enough to pupate. I only have one cham so I feed off some but going to let most pupate and mate. Hoping to get enough eggs in the fridge to last all year, hatching out just really small batches every couple weeks.

Ok I really need to know what the netting is that your using. I am terrified about when I hatch mine out. I am months away from that but I need netting lol. I have had 7 of 10 moths hatch out so far. But only 1 came out on its own. The other 6 I had to cut out. It is pretty sad how they can not even get out on their own and that they can't even fly. I have 5 more that have just started to cocoon. I have decided I am going to use egg cartons to but the cocoons into and then I can write on each egg holder the date that they cocooned completely when I removed them from the tp rolls and put them in. This way I have a better idea of when they will emerge. This has been one heck of a learning curve lol

I think you are asking for "gutter guard". That can be found in many hardware departments and stores. I think that might be the netting you speak of.

I started breeding by simply buying 30 adult worms. Fed off ten and the other twenty pupated. 17 moths emerged, 10 of those successfully mated and laid lots of eggs. Those eggs are in fridge. In meantime, I bought 200 eggs, 175 hatched and are now adults, probably a week or two still to go before they're big enough to pupate. I only have one cham so I feed off some but going to let most pupate and mate. Hoping to get enough eggs in the fridge to last all year, hatching out just really small batches every couple weeks.

Super helpful! Thank you!

I agree, raising your own feeders if possible is the way to go. It does take a little more work up front, but will eventually save you time and money.

I also don’t think raising silkworms is as bad as people make it out to be, so long as you are willing to commit a little time every day or two.
Exactly

Tell me more about hatching out smaller batches... I have eggs that will be ready to remove from the fridge on the 29th. I do not want to end up with tons... Can I just remove 20 from the fridge at a time. Or do the eggs die if they are left in the fridge? Also should I get the petri dishes with lids to hatch them out in?

Tell me more about hatching out smaller batches... I have eggs that will be ready to remove from the fridge on the 29th. I do not want to end up with tons... Can I just remove 20 from the fridge at a time. Or do the eggs die if they are left in the fridge? Also should I get the petri dishes with lids to hatch them out in?

I would avoid petri dishes like the plague. Just buy some cheap food storage containers. Once they are a few days old you can just leave the lid off.

You can take them out as needed. The longer they are in there the lower the hatch rate, but you can always take a few more out to account for that.

I would avoid petri dishes like the plague. Just buy some cheap food storage containers. Once they are a few days old you can just leave the lid off.

You can take them out as needed. The longer they are in there the lower the hatch rate, but you can always take a few more out to account for that.
Ok great thank you! I was worried about the petri dishes lol.

I remember reading somewhere that the eggs can last for a few years in the fridge.

What a great thread - thanks to everyone who contributed!
So, once the moths emerge (and, do they always need help?) do they stay in the lined bin and mate (hopefully) right there? After that, you collect the eggs and chill until you (or they) are ready? Feed off the moths? (Thats gonna suck- they are the CUTEness)
Do you hatch them out in the small container (not a petri dish) and just at a warmish room temp?

Back
Top Bottom