sick veiled chameleon

jeapal23

My chameleon looks unwell. her eyes are sunken and pin pricked looking. she is not eating and is half way down her housing. this morning she slipped off her perch. I can touch her which is very unusual but when I do she is opening her mouth and I spray some water into her mouth.

I have been in hopital for 4 days and my husband has been looking after her. I think he wasnt spraying her and her viv, he said he did. He also said that she was diggin a hole for laying eggs. There are no eggs so I think she could be egg bound.

I have increased the heat in her viv and spray water directly in to her mouth every hour. she does look a little better her eyes are open and she is looking aroung with them,

I dont want to loose her she is lovely. she is three years old.

Jean

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled Chameleon, 3 years old had her from 10 weeks
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? dont
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? dusting the Locust size5, 5 bugs every other day, rocket when she wants a change
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? not sure of the brand, I cant get it at the moment had Knee op last saturday
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i normally see her drinking, she is misted 4 times a day,
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no testing, normal looking fecal matter
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. she has layed twice none fertilised eggs

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? wood and glass, 4x 2x2 feet
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 10 hours a day lighting, not sure of brand cant chekc
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 82 degrees not sure night time
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? dont measure humidity
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? umberella plant
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? in the lounge, same place it has been for 3 years
Location - Where are you geographically located? England
t Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
looked awful, eyes sunken and pin pricked. lying on the floor. and black in colour she is now on a branch a green colour, eyes are open and has been drinking. I think we might be over the worse. I have been making her drink every hour. She has let me pick her up very unusal she normal hates me going anywhere near her.

just realised you mean some where for her to lay eggs, yes I do she never uses it, she always goes in the soil that the plant is in.

I'm glad she is a bit better. As far as supplements go she should be getting plain calcium without d3 every feed and calcium with d3 every two weeks and a multivit every two weeks. This schedule depends on which brands you use. When was her uv light changed? Should be every 6 months. Could you lower her basking light so she can keep warm as she is on the floor?
Hope your knee gets better soon. You could perhaps let us know which brands of supplements are next time you are on the move:)

Back
Top Bottom