Sick Chameleon? Maybe?

You said she naps through the day and the vet says she is not pregnant but can't tell the sex...how is the vet telling that it's not pregnant? Sleeping during the day is not a good thing. I can't tell for sure what the sex is because the photos are not clear...but I'm leaning towards male.
You said it produces urates but no poop...do you have a substrate in the cage?
They checked her stomach very well. I'm starting to think male also, a bulges as started to form at the base of her/his tail The past few months. I'll upload more visible pictures once I take pictures. And yes, just urates no poop, though today we finally saw a tiny bit of poop. No longer using any substrate as of yesterday.

2Month without any food intake is a very long time and Medications on Panacur Suspension will put the cham even more stress,can u give us a updated photo of ur cham,did the vet knows that she hasn't ate any food since last December ??
Yes they know. Like I said, they do not do exotic pets. If she does not eat within next week they want to tube teed her. She's weighing a tiny bit under but nothing drastic.

Since male Senegal Chameleons have a pronounced hemipenal bulge, I’d likely say this is a female.

Unfortunately most, if not all, Senegal Chameleons are wild caught, meaning your little girl was born in the wild and shipped here. The entire process causes undue stress which when they finally arrive in their final destination (your cage) they are very sickly. It would also explain why the pet shop didn’t know any better.

Flies, while maybe not the most nutritionally sound insect, are great for getting picky eaters to eat. Also green bugs (katydids, mantids etc.) are also eye catching. My wild caught Senegals never seemed to recognize silkworms or hornworms as food, maybe because they didn’t come across them in the wild, but that is my experience only. They are good and squishy if your girl likes them.

I do have a blog written about acclimating wild caughts. Perhaps you will find some of this helpful. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/entry/dealing-with-a-wild-caught-chameleon.776/

Senegals are also a fairly shy species so adding some more cover would be helpful. Real plants will help hold the water and humidity better than plastic ones. Keep handling to a minimum. Real sun also does wonders so if you can get her outside that would be beneficial.

Panacur is a great dewormer because it is relatively safe and takes care of a large number of parasites. One of the problems with the Panacur is it does cause inappetence (a problem you are already experiencing) and it can be hard on the kidneys if they aren’t getting enough water. 10 seconds every couple of hours is not enough water for a healthy chameleon so, aside from being on the Panacur, you should make those times longer. I suggest some rehydrating showers to start.

We have written a short article on medications that you might find helpful: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/health/vet/

Since male Senegal Chameleons have a pronounced hemipenal bulge, I’d likely say this is a female.

Unfortunately most, if not all, Senegal Chameleons are wild caught, meaning your little girl was born in the wild and shipped here. The entire process causes undue stress which when they finally arrive in their final destination (your cage) they are very sickly. It would also explain why the pet shop didn’t know any better.

Flies, while maybe not the most nutritionally sound insect, are great for getting picky eaters to eat. Also green bugs (katydids, mantids etc.) are also eye catching. My wild caught Senegals never seemed to recognize silkworms or hornworms as food, maybe because they didn’t come across them in the wild, but that is my experience only. They are good and squishy if your girl likes them.

I do have a blog written about acclimating wild caughts. Perhaps you will find some of this helpful. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/entry/dealing-with-a-wild-caught-chameleon.776/

Senegals are also a fairly shy species so adding some more cover would be helpful. Real plants will help hold the water and humidity better than plastic ones. Keep handling to a minimum. Real sun also does wonders so if you can get her outside that would be beneficial.

Panacur is a great dewormer because it is relatively safe and takes care of a large number of parasites. One of the problems with the Panacur is it does cause inappetence (a problem you are already experiencing) and it can be hard on the kidneys if they aren’t getting enough water. 10 seconds every couple of hours is not enough water for a healthy chameleon so, aside from being on the Panacur, you should make those times longer. I suggest some rehydrating showers to start.

We have written a short article on medications that you might find helpful: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/health/vet/

I found this super helpful!

Thank you! I read your blog and it was really helpful. :) We changed her duration time also.

Back
Top Bottom