Shedding

iya78

Does shedding cause a chameleon to slow down. At first her appetite kind of slowed down, she didn't really want to get around to hunting, so I would blow in her cage to get the crickets to her, then she would eat. But now she is eating like normal, so that concern kind of went away. But she doesn't seem to be as active, does shedding usually cause this? She has been shedding the pat 3 days and that is how long she has been acting this way.

Does shedding cause a chameleon to slow down. At first her appetite kind of slowed down, she didn't really want to get around to hunting, so I would blow in her cage to get the crickets to her, then she would eat. But now she is eating like normal, so that concern kind of went away. But she doesn't seem to be as active, does shedding usually cause this? She has been shedding the pat 3 days and that is how long she has been acting this way.

All animals are different. Some refuse to eat when shedding - others continue eating. Some slow down a lot, some speed up.

Your described behavior does not sound too abnormal for a shedding chameleon.

Is that that baby veiled we spoke about some weeks ago?

S.F

Some will slow down on hunting and eating during a shed. To help with the shed dont mist her as much it will help speed up the process =]

Some will slow down on hunting and eating during a shed. To help with the shed dont mist her as much it will help speed up the process =]

Im sure the chameleons will be singing your praises for the now tight skin drying out on them while they try to shed. :p

Increased humidity will keep the shed moist and pliable, making it easier to rub against a friendly branch or leaf and more likely to separate from the main body.

reduced humidity, from my experiences during winter, causes the shed to stick more to the underlaying skin - the chameleons had to do "the yawn" to start cracking it up into pieces.

I found that changing from 3 sprays a day to 5 made shedding much easier.

Im sure the chameleons will be singing your praises for the now tight skin drying out on them while they try to shed. :p

Increased humidity will keep the shed moist and pliable, making it easier to rub against a friendly branch or leaf and more likely to separate from the main body.

reduced humidity, from my experiences during winter, causes the shed to stick more to the underlaying skin - the chameleons had to do "the yawn" to start cracking it up into pieces.

I found that changing from 3 sprays a day to 5 made shedding much easier.

I have always cut down when the skin is already pealing off and Jasper has never had a bad shed it lasts 2 days max. So yes he is "singing praises" for the nice easy shed. =]

I have always cut down when the skin is already pealing off and Jasper has never had a bad shed it lasts 2 days max. So yes he is "singing praises" for the nice easy shed. =]

Just saying mate, increased humidity helps the shed off easier.... I can't see any reasons why to cut down on misting. You did say it takes 2 days... thats not bad, but I should mention when Luciano shed when it was still warm, he started in the evening and by noon the next morning he was done.

Now that its cold... my chams got all pissy trying to shed - doing "the yawn" and such.

Just saying mate, increased humidity helps the shed off easier.... I can't see any reasons why to cut down on misting. You did say it takes 2 days... thats not bad, but I should mention when Luciano shed when it was still warm, he started in the evening and by noon the next morning he was done.

Now that its cold... my chams got all pissy trying to shed - doing "the yawn" and such.

I dont change my misting of the plants but I stay away from misting jasper. I wanted to make that clear.

I dont change my misting of the plants but I stay away from misting jasper. I wanted to make that clear.

See now it makes sense! :).....

all my chams hate direct misting, one will readily drink from the nozzle, but any spray he runs from.

I always give them a few sprays though - gotta clean the eyes out and such.

But when they start to shed - misting of plants and such increases. Still just spray the head for eye cleaning and perhaps a drink or two from the nozzle.

See now it makes sense! :).....

all my chams hate direct misting, one will readily drink from the nozzle, but any spray he runs from.

I always give them a few sprays though - gotta clean the eyes out and such.

But when they start to shed - misting of plants and such increases. Still just spray the head for eye cleaning and perhaps a drink or two from the nozzle.

Jasper loves getting sprayed except when he is shedding..

Jasper loves getting sprayed except when he is shedding..

they all have such different personalities! its hilarious really.

But back to topic - IYA I think its generally agreed that increased humidity can do nothing but help during a shed ( don't go over board of course and drown the poor guy :p )... but whether your spray your little guy directly is up to him and you.

Hope to hear more about him/her soon.

P.S- did you sex him/her yet? perhaps I forgot... its been a while.

P.S- did you sex him/her yet? perhaps I forgot... its been a while.
Yes, she is a little girl, she is sooo cute, she seems to be getting more and more pink highlights as the weeks go by. Cute, since she is a girl, fits perfect...

Yes, she is a little girl, she is sooo cute, she seems to be getting more and more pink highlights as the weeks go by. Cute, since she is a girl, fits perfect...

Nice... when they are tiny - you can have some of the most fun just watching them grow. But of course then they get old and colorful :rolleyes:.

Now, while you have time, is a good time to start reading up everything you can about your little girl - keeping a female is different from keeping a male. There will be decisions about husbandry you will need to make and enforce - not now, but soon.

best of Luck.
S.F

Back
Top Bottom