shaky and not eating very well

bjohnsey

My panther chameleon is shaky and is not eating very well or at all. He is still drinking plenty and does not appear to be suffering from dehydration. I am trying to subsitute some reptile food that I got from the vet for another chameleon that would not eat after shipping and he seems to have no problem drinking that in. I am confused as what I should do. Also I have been mixing a little calcium w/ D3 in with the reptile food in case thats what it is. Any suggestions?

bjohnsey, I'm not an expert by any means but our veiled had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I had moved some things in her cage and she just stressed over it for about three days then settled down and hasn't done it since. Did you move him or make any changes to his environment recently? Just a thought. Sometimes it's the simple things we ignore that are the answers. Keep us posted.

You don't want to give the d3 more than twice a month or so, you can overdose the d3, you want a phos free with no d3 at almost every feeding. Can you fill out this form so we can better help you
Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

I was at the vet on friday for the same issue on a chameleon I purchased a week ago. Both have MBD, due to lack of calcium.
You need to take your Cham to the vet and get him checked. Mine showed no visible outward signs other than the shaky, stilted gait.
My vet gave a shot of neocalglugon(sp?) (Calcium) and I am giving injections at home daily.
Please change your calcium schedule if you haven't already. This is a preventable disease if care is given with the supplements and gutloading.
Getting your Cham outside for real sun is also important

Back
Top Bottom