Shaking Newborn

chamlover

So finally the very last egg hatched. He was #48. All the other veiled eggs hatched 6-7 weeks ago and we anxiously awaited this guys arrival. He did look a little shaky at first, but being a newborn , we figured we would cut him some slack. But today is day 3 and i've continued to notice some disturbing signs.

He isn't eating as much as i think he should and he doesn't appear to be
too interested in the crickets either.
But the thing that worries me the most is he shakes ALOT. While walking mostly. And he ends up on his back alot as well when he's trying to walk on the bottom of the cage. Like his equalibrium is off. Or he's drunk.

Not sure what to do at this point. I've never come across this before. Did i mention all the other ones were perfectly healthy, as is the parents.

Separate the lil guy and manage feeding. He won't be able to compete with the rest of the babies.

So finally the very last egg hatched. He was #48. All the other veiled eggs hatched 6-7 weeks ago and we anxiously awaited this guys arrival. He did look a little shaky at first, but being a newborn , we figured we would cut him some slack. But today is day 3 and i've continued to notice some disturbing signs.

He isn't eating as much as i think he should and he doesn't appear to be
too interested in the crickets either.
But the thing that worries me the most is he shakes ALOT. While walking mostly. And he ends up on his back alot as well when he's trying to walk on the bottom of the cage. Like his equalibrium is off. Or he's drunk.

Not sure what to do at this point. I've never come across this before. Did i mention all the other ones were perfectly healthy, as is the parents.

Oh i'm sorry i didn't mention it, he is the only one in his cage. No one to compete with. Also forgot to mention he doesn't seem to be basking like they usually do. He is staying towards the cooler part of the enclosure. His eyes are wide open and he does seem alert though.

Fingers crossed - I hope he perks up. Being the rut of the litter so to speak, it doesn't bode well. Keep us updated!

Oh i'm sorry i didn't mention it, he is the only one in his cage. No one to compete with. Also forgot to mention he doesn't seem to be basking like they usually do. He is staying towards the cooler part of the enclosure. His eyes are wide open and he does seem alert though.

Maybe just try to keep him alive. Give him bug juice if he doesn't eat. maybe kep his basking area where he can reach it easy. Not much advice but I hope he keeps up.

If I was in your position, the most I would do is put him in a cage alone. I wouldn't do much else to give him special care. In other words, let nature take it's course. Sometimes they just don't survive and if they don't, that is how it was meant to be.

I hope he shows improvement.

Thanks everyone. That's kinda what i'm doing. Of course he's been in his own cage since day one. He's still alive, but still not doing well. He wont eat, the crickets just die. At least i haven't seen him eat. I figured he probably isn't going to make it, but you never know. I will let nature take it's course. Of course, i dont think there is much else i can do anyway.
I definately think something serious is wrong. He won't stay under his basking light, always on the cool side. And can't seem to stay upright. He's always falling over. Poor baby. Breaks my heart to watch him.

Have you tried to hand feed it?
Does it drink?
Have you tried giving it a bit of calcium? (I don't know if its even possibility that calcium could have anything to do with it...but it shouln't hurt to give it a little bit.)

He looks interested in the crickets but doesn't seem to try to eat. When i spray the enclosure, he runs for cover. Nothing seems to make him happy. I would almost think it is more genetic than anything else. None of the other ones had any problems similar to this. They are ALL healthy. I've tried holding a cricket for him, but he's way too scared and tries to run away. I've tried holding the guy and he just continues to fall over. He's too darn small to try to feed him. But it's been a week already and he's still here. Can u post mini videos on here? So you could see what happens when he walks. He just looks like he is really really drunk...If it is his equilibrium, do you think a vet visit would help. He's sooooo tiny my vet would probably think i'm crazy if i brought him in.

Back
Top Bottom