Setting up the Lighting

wedidthis

Hi, I'm looking to set up my cage so that my veiled chameleon/live plants will have sufficient heat and UV conditions.

It is a wooden frame, aluminium (black) mesh, 4'Hx2'Lx2'W cage.
hUg2i1a.jpg

I recently Purchased a Reptisun 5.o UVB CFL, and 100w incandescent basking lamp. I arranged them as so,
UEvXDxL.jpg
(L to R: Home made dripper, basking lamp, UV CFL)

My Temps seem to be pretty spot on ranging from, Low spot 74ish and a basking of 85. I also hand mist; the Humidity ranges form 50-70%.

So i feel my Incandescent is adequate, for the needs my little guy will have.

However...

Upon Further inspection of my CFL... It's recommended that it be within 5-8" for effective radiation. And In "The definitive lighting thread! Everything you really need to know" it states
Is your habitat top screened? if so, you can expect a significant reduction of UVB that reaches the chameleon from the light, from 10 to 50 percent. Exoterra bug screen tops reduce UVB by 50 percent while hardware cloth results in a 10 % reduction.

So I feel like this CFL is just a complete waste. I also have concerns about supposed blindness being caused by CFLs.

I am planning on buying a Linear bulb. What setups can I use to effectively support my Veiled, and this Umbrella tree
VaeZugn.jpg
?

Thanks so much for your consideration and willingness to help :D

Inwould go for a 10.0 linear uv tube which will allow good uv exposure down the cage creating a good UV gradient through th cage allowing the chameleon to regulate its uv exposure.

Hey Bradley,

Because of the reflection (of mesh) and depth (of cage), the 10.o won't hurt my chameleon? Am I understanding that correctly? Also I would assume this then be set up at the top of the cage? I had personally envisioned, maybe, setting it up vertically along the height of it so that it would only be a short distance away throughout the cage. Also this single bulb will be able to support the umbrella tree as well?

Hey Bradley,

Because of the reflection (of mesh) and depth (of cage), the 10.o won't hurt my chameleon? Am I understanding that correctly? Also I would assume this then be set up at the top of the cage? I had personally envisioned, maybe, setting it up vertically along the height of it so that it would only be a short distance away throughout the cage. Also this single bulb will be able to support the umbrella tree as well?

A 10.0 is nowhere near what they would get in the wild so it won't hurt the chameleon at all. It won't be too strong and won't cause problems.

The uv needs to be at the top of the cage. If it goes vertically it will cause eye problems as chameleons have evolved the recieve light from above.

Forget the 10.0 and go for the Arcadia 6%. It is much better than even the 10.0 Reptisun. Check out the dual fixture that has the 6% Arcadia UVB and the 6.5k plant light. This is some of the best lighting that you can get.

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/24hot5dobufi.html

Todd is also a sponsor of the forums here and is the most knowledgeable about reptile lighting that I have found.

Thank you so much for your input, when I described my horizontal plans to the people at the pet store they agreed whole heartedly... do you recommend placing it as close to the top of the cage as possible? Or could i mount it to my dowel rod system now (about 9" from top)

Keep right on top of the screen. You want it to penetrate down into the enclosure. The screen will block about 50% of the UVB from the light.

i have reptisun 10.0 cfl in a big 10 dome i got from home depot she has 2 spots that angle down under it one is at 4 inches at its high point and 6 at its lowest and the other is at about 7 high and 9 low, i also have a 2 blub set up for t8 plant lights and one basking light.. she never sits at the highest point under the uvb light shes usually about 7-8 inches under it but she has the choice to sit higher if she needs to and i hav not had any problems with that set up. I did read where CFl were causing problems but its wasnt CFLS in general it was a specific bulb by a specific company, not the one i use but a very popular well known company which has been re designed and no testimonies or complaints have been made since that adjustment. the arcadia bulbs are great from what ive heard

I have purchased the Arcadia and eagerly await its arrival :D

That Arcadia setup from Todd is absolutely amazing. I have a T8 5.0 bulb before with a T8 plant light, but this new T5-HO setup from Todd just blows it out of the water. I am so glad that I did my research on lighting and could not be happier. I even bought the Arcadia book about lighting and MBD and it is a great read. I would honestly call it a MUST HAVE for every chameleon owner.

You will be very happy with it. I have mine laying across the top of the cage, so as close to the screen as you can get. There is a great reflecting panel in the fixture so you get that much more light and UVB down into your cage.

There are problems occurring again with compacts, not just with the reptisuns as before but with the Exo terra ones too. These are not old stock either. I can't see the point in using them really. They give off mistype uv over a small area which is unnatural.

The Arcadia lighting is the best. I use the 12% T5 HO bulbs on my panthers and they are thriving. Thy give off loads of uv and light. Arcadia really know their stuff.

It still makes me laugh how so many people will go out and think nothing of buying a 6% T5 HO bulb but frown highly upon using a 10.0 T8 with chameleons when the 6% gives off way more uv than the 10.0 T8!

Back
Top Bottom