Set Up Tips PLEASE

hi i’ve had Houdini for about a month. He shed the first day in his cage and just had his second shed with me a few days ago. He eats twice a day and I mist his cage in the morning and as soon as i get home from work (dropper overflows the plant pot.. working on getting a mister soon)

i have it covered with plastic to help maintain humidity. i would like some set up tips with the plants i bought and how i should go about adding more horizontal branches for him to perch on. also the pothos i have aren’t as viney so i can’t really string them throughout. they’re all kind of at the bottom. after his vet visit i’m going to clean his cage and would like to do some rearranging so any tips on how i can rearrange his cage would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 99
Hi dragon strand ledges are great . Or you could buy some trelis from a garden store and run live branches across from them. Personally your little guy/gal would benefit from a lot more branches up ,down horizontal whatever to make the most of the space that you have in your enclosure . Pothos or wandering jew up high are great
20210507_192847.jpg

Hi dragon strand ledges are great . Or you could buy some trelis from a garden store and run live branches across from them. Personally your little guy/gal would benefit from a lot more branches up ,down horizontal whatever to make the most of the space that you have in your enclosure . Pothos or wandering jew up high are greatView attachment 306716
so are dragon strand ledges attachments that i stick branches into/on top of so that they run across his enclosure?

ur set up looks amazing btw!

Thank you that's an old picture it's a pure jungle now. Any way you can run branches across the the dragon strand ledges or also use them to attach hanging plants . You can let your imagination go if you have to look for a bit to find your baby then you have provided your cham with an enclosure that provides up top basking space middle space that provides coverage from heat ,uvb, and a space to feel safe ( especially for night time to sleep)

hi i’ve had Houdini for about a month. He shed the first day in his cage and just had his second shed with me a few days ago. He eats twice a day and I mist his cage in the morning and as soon as i get home from work (dropper overflows the plant pot.. working on getting a mister soon)

i have it covered with plastic to help maintain humidity. i would like some set up tips with the plants i bought and how i should go about adding more horizontal branches for him to perch on. also the pothos i have aren’t as viney so i can’t really string them throughout. they’re all kind of at the bottom. after his vet visit i’m going to clean his cage and would like to do some rearranging so any tips on how i can rearrange his cage would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.

I think it would behoove you to copy/paste and complete this questionnaire; I can see some issues with your enclosure.

Regarding supports for dowels & branches, here are a few ideas:

• Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male. i’m unsure of age but he’s been in my care for about a month. has recently had his second shed.
  • Handling - 2-3 times a week. he rushes to come out when he sees me preparing his food
  • Feeding - calcium w/o D3 & retivitamin dusted meal worms. 6 in the morning. 6 in the evening.
  • Supplements - zoomed calcium w/o d3 & reptivitamins
  • Watering - he has a dripper but i took a break from it because it floods the plant pot. but i just his cage for about 5 minutes twice a day with a spray bottle
  • Fecal Description - his poop is dark brown & oval shaped. the white part has always been white & about a cm(+/-) long
  • History - Juvenile veiled chameleon sold from petsmart

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - it was a screen cage from a starter kit. i have the back & sides wrapped in plastic to help with humidity (idk if it has been but 🤷🏽‍♀️)
  • Lighting - zoomed light one for heat and a blue bulb for UVB (i threw away the boxes so idk specifics.)
  • Temperature - mid 80s during the day. mid/low 70s at night.
  • Humidity - humidity meter stays between 40-70%
  • Plants - pothos & i have no idea what this tree is called. it’s from home depot.
  • Placement - its near my window right BEFORE the ac draft. it’s on a 3 or 4 feet table
  • Location - about 30 mins south of Atlanta, Georgia

Current Problem - Well i originally made this post for tips to rearrange his cage & make him more happy but when i got home from work yesterday one of his eyes was closed. he would open it for a moment then close it again. he was still eating and moving like normal. today he is still eating and but now he is closing BOTH EYES. i have his vet appointment set for wednesday & currently have him in a shower. there was shed around his eyes at his last shed (eyes still open) & i tried extra mists & rubbing with a qtip but i know closed eyes are not good at all. any help would be appreciated

I would suggest to give him calcium WITH D3 twice a month, I alternate that with multivitamins every Saturday.

Definitely switch both cage and lights, minimum size for the cage is 24"x24"X48" (XL) and switch to linear uvb, fixture T5 5.0 HO 24" with a 6% or 12% bulb ( raise the lamp from the cage if you get the 12%)

About the setup you can hang those photos from the top using fishing line or any garden metal strips

For the dripper you can create a drainage system, since you'll have to move him into a bigger enclosure, I would get it done before the move-in day. Also suggest an umbrella tree as center plant for the cage, has a lot of foliage and it's safe for chams

I would suggest to give him calcium WITH D3 twice a month, I alternate that with multivitamins every Saturday.

Definitely switch both cage and lights, minimum size for the cage is 24"x24"X48" (XL) and switch to linear uvb, fixture T5 5.0 HO 24" with a 6% or 12% bulb ( raise the lamp from the cage if you get the 12%)

About the setup you can hang those photos from the top using fishing line or any garden metal strips

For the dripper you can create a drainage system, since you'll have to move him into a bigger enclosure, I would get it done before the move-in day. Also suggest an umbrella tree as center plant for the cage, has a lot of foliage and it's safe for chams

update: i’ve cleaned & rearranged his cage & had to use what i had. i planned on getting him a bigger cage after the vet visit but it’s only in a few days. will also be getting the D3 calcium. i definitely have to get him some better foliage & i also plan on getting an automatic timed misting system

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 89
Hi @Houdini’s Mom some don't recommend mealworms, but are ok in moderation Variety is best. Personally I would go with the arcadia 6% you will want his basking branch around 8/9 inches below the uvb as you can see in my enclosure picture I have my lights raised. What are your vitamins? Daytime humidity is a bit high you want 30/50% at night 70% but this can go higher . Also I see you have an analogue gauge wired digital probes are better/ more accurate you will want one at basking one near the bottom and a humidity gauge somewhere in the middle . Also govee mini wireless are a great addition to download and track data ( especially at night 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20201227-171839_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201227-171839_Chrome.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male. i’m unsure of age but he’s been in my care for about a month. has recently had his second shed.
  • Handling - 2-3 times a week. he rushes to come out when he sees me preparing his food
  • Feeding - calcium w/o D3 & retivitamin dusted meal worms. 6 in the morning. 6 in the evening.
  • Supplements - zoomed calcium w/o d3 & reptivitamins
  • Watering - he has a dripper but i took a break from it because it floods the plant pot. but i just his cage for about 5 minutes twice a day with a spray bottle
  • Fecal Description - his poop is dark brown & oval shaped. the white part has always been white & about a cm(+/-) long
  • History - Juvenile veiled chameleon sold from petsmart

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - it was a screen cage from a starter kit. i have the back & sides wrapped in plastic to help with humidity (idk if it has been but 🤷🏽‍♀️)
  • Lighting - zoomed light one for heat and a blue bulb for UVB (i threw away the boxes so idk specifics.)
  • Temperature - mid 80s during the day. mid/low 70s at night.
  • Humidity - humidity meter stays between 40-70%
  • Plants - pothos & i have no idea what this tree is called. it’s from home depot.
  • Placement - its near my window right BEFORE the ac draft. it’s on a 3 or 4 feet table
  • Location - about 30 mins south of Atlanta, Georgia

Current Problem - Well i originally made this post for tips to rearrange his cage & make him more happy but when i got home from work yesterday one of his eyes was closed. he would open it for a moment then close it again. he was still eating and moving like normal. today he is still eating and but now he is closing BOTH EYES. i have his vet appointment set for wednesday & currently have him in a shower. there was shed around his eyes at his last shed (eyes still open) & i tried extra mists & rubbing with a qtip but i know closed eyes are not good at all. any help would be appreciated
@Flick boy

Back
Top Bottom