Senior Chameleon Care - What to expect and what to anticipate?

Rufi0

Established Member
It's funny this website..

In the beginning you are a terrified sponge trying to research as much as you can and soak in as much info as possible so your new chameleon lives as happy a life as possible. I remember 6 years ago seeing my Nosy change into his pajamas for the first time. He was six months old and hadn't found his colours yet and so just went pale. I thought he died in the night. I found Chameleon Forums and found all the information I needed and more... I didn't even really need to post a question as most answers are there waiting to be found.

And now here I find myself again... Nosy is coming up to 6.5 and I am looking on chameleon forums on what I should be expecting. I saw Pepe's post at https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/any-advice-on-end-of-life-care.170471/ ... 9 years old !!! I am amazed.

Nosy has really slowed down this year, or perhaps now that i am working from home I have been here to see it. He is still "semi" free range.. but this summer he has stopped going for his exploratory walks around the living room. It used to be our game of find where Nosy has stopped for the night when I would get back from work.. now he seems content in being between his enclosure and his Pothos wall. His grip is not what is used to be, and I have found him hanging by his tail once or twice.. I installed a safety mesh in the middle of his enclosure in case he falls and a secondary climbing bridge / net under his preferred bridge should he loose his grip. His diet and drinking has pretty much been the same.

Apart from "slowing down" and the deterioration of grip strength. What else is there that I should be anticipating as a possibility in the next years? Pepe mentioned a loss of appetite and sleeping more?

Thank you kindly in advance for letting me draw from your experience.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_2195.jpg
    IMG_2195.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 174
"branches closer together" and more of them. Basically instead of a tree, you want a bush.

doesnt climb on screen any more

spend more time looking/basking out the human window

Other than that, they dont seem to want to move for food, they kinda turn into a tongue turret.

I also find supplements almost need a senior checkup vet review. Ive had a few that needed some vitamin and calcium adjustments.

Also keep an eye on your gut load, as gout can set in from too high of a protein diet, or if the bugs start storing protein as uric acid.

Thanks nightanole.. much appreciated... Yea Nosy stopped climbing the cage after he hurt one of his claws. He learnt the hard way a number of years ago... That brings back memories the sound of him climbing the screen and me running in to carefully pull him off and tell him he is no longer a young "light" chameleon. He had a huge ficus he sits in when he goes out for real sun. I will try and make more holding points ! Thank you

i'd be happy if i get my panther 5yrs+... he's currently 1 1/2.
As for my female veiled I'm shooting for 4+. She's currently 2.

Do you have any other chameleons?

Thanks NashansCamos.. not without its struggles.. We are still dealing with a skin disease so we will be back to the vets again next month.. but overall he's happy and I'm hoping for more years to come, my little old man chameleon

IMG_2657 2.jpg

i'd be happy if i get my panther 5yrs+... he's currently 1 1/2.
As for my female veiled I'm shooting for 4+. She's currently 2.

Do you have any other chameleons?

No, ones enough :) His free range takes up my apartment. He can also be a DIVA with his food sometimes as you probably already know with your chams. Two divas would be too much for me :p Locust no... Cricket no... Dubia no.... Silkworm no... he got me raising stick insects for a while :p

No, ones enough :) His free range takes up my apartment. He can also be a DIVA with his food sometimes as you probably already know with your chams. Two divas would be too much for me :p Locust no... Cricket no... Dubia no.... Silkworm no... he got me raising stick insects for a while :p
yeah... I feel like 1-2 chams a HUGE change. For example IMO 1-2 chams is a bigger change then 2-3 chams. I'm currently going through the 2-3 transaction? It requires a bunch more food so I started a dubia, bsfl and waxworm colonies (mom wasnt happy, and I was kinda grossed out too. But you do what you gotta do to save money!)

Like when you go from 1-2 you need to worry about visual barriers, more food, more space,make sure they dont get stressed seeing eachother for a while. when I bought my second A LOT of time was devoted to makiing sure they weren't staring at eachother the whole day(because they are free ranged often)

but when you go from 2-3 youve already done all of that before you just need to repeat it.

How did the BSF colony go? I could never breed them.. the lighting or the space was never correct. Thinking about having a BSF composter in the garden but the winters get really cold here and I don’t think the missus will be happy with them in the house :p

How did the BSF colony go? I could never breed them.. the lighting or the space was never correct. Thinking about having a BSF composter in the garden but the winters get really cold here and I don’t think the missus will be happy with them in the house :p
I just started and so far so good! I have multiple sizes and a couple pupaes. A few months I bought some to go the whole 3 stages but with no intention to breed them. The chams ate up the larvae and the flies like popcorn.

I just started and so far so good! I have multiple sizes and a couple pupaes. A few months I bought some to go the whole 3 stages but with no intention to breed them. The chams ate up the larvae and the flies like popcorn.

He he yea those flies.. I used to open the container and release them in his enclosure and close the door and it was party time :) The flies will only mate at a certain wave length of light and with enough space as they mate on the wing.... I looked at getting one of these http://www.livinstudio.com/farm432 but i think they also had issues with breeding them. Would love to follow your story.

You might find this thread interesting and hoepfuly @jannb can give more signs of aging...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/what-are-signs-of-aging.105210/

They can suffer from arthritis (you will often notice sort of knobby looking toes/feet) and other things humans and other animals suffer from in old age. They definitely slow down and I think they need their supplements adjusted....just like old people sometimes do.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

You might find this thread interesting and hoepfuly @jannb can give more signs of aging...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/what-are-signs-of-aging.105210/

They can suffer from arthritis (you will often notice sort of knobby looking toes/feet) and other things humans and other animals suffer from in old age. They definitely slow down and I think they need their supplements adjusted....just like old people sometimes do.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Thanks Kinyonga... of course @jannb was my go to resource when I was first learning. I remember she had a old boy called Hendershot when I was just learning. i will go through her threads ! Thank you kindly

Back
Top Bottom