what are signs of aging?

aplazbarr

Established Member
my cham has been falling a lot. I noticed his nails are almost gone. He also misses a lot when trying to catch his prey. He is about 5 or 6 years old. Are these the signs of him becoming an old man?
What other signs should I be looking for?
Thanks in Advance.

What other signs should I be looking for?

I see a chance for some humor....

- has his AARP card arrived in the mail yet?

- does he need a mini walker?

- are his scales turning gray around his chin or is there a receding scaleline?

- when placed with a young female does he try to look impressive only to not follow thru?

- does he keep going back to the same branch like he has forgotten something?

Humor aside, you've done well if you kept your Cham for that many years. Each species has a different lifespan. You didn't mention what type you have. I know 5-6 years for some animals is old while in some others they can live a few decades. The issues you are describing can be nutritional and in any aged animal they made need additional supplements. I'm not looking forward to the supplements I'll be taking as I finish my roll down hill

:D ^^^^ Cute^^^^^
:D Hello and congrats on your guy being healthy for so long. It my help some of the more experienced keepers to help you if you filled out the Link below. Just copy, paste in your response and fill in with your answers. This will give us an over all pic of his care and see if they can give you any advice.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

I'm not where you are with any of my chameleons yet so I can't give you any first-hand advice, but I do know that you might want to send JannB a message because she has several older panther and veiled males who have arthritis and need extra care.

If he is falling you might want to consider tweaking his cage so that it's more user friendly for him. Perhaps trade a bit of height for length, make sure his branches/perches are thick and stable, maybe put a towel down on the floor, etc.

Just about all of my chameleons are getting old at the same time and having various health issues. If he is having problems with his tongue that is a sign of old age. Also falling and not using one or more of his legs or dangling a leg when he sits on a branch. I've had several older panthers with arthritis and my vet give Adequan injections to keep the joints lubricated and Metacam, an anti inflammatory for pain. They seem to get just about the same issues as us humans do as we age. I also have a panther with high blood pressure and hardening of the arteries. They also get cancer. I would recommend a good check up and x-rays by a qualified chameleon vet. I would also recommend short cages and or trees and catch nets. They can get hurt even worse if they fall.

Just about all of my chameleons are getting old at the same time and having various health issues. If he is having problems with his tongue that is a sign of old age. Also falling and not using one or more of his legs or dangling a leg when he sits on a branch. I've had several older panthers with arthritis and my vet give Adequan injections to keep the joints lubricated and Metacam, an anti inflammatory for pain. They seem to get just about the same issues as us humans do as we age. I also have a panther with high blood pressure and hardening of the arteries. They also get cancer. I would recommend a good check up and x-rays by a qualified chameleon vet. I would also recommend short cages and or trees and catch nets. They can get hurt even worse if they fall.

Translation : Your Cham is going to break a hip.

Side note to jannb, your herp vet is better than my personal doctor. How the heck did they detect high blood pressure and hard arteries? Wow

When I saw the title to the thread, my first thought was, "Let me go look in the mirror and I'll make a list." I hope my panthers live that long.

Translation : Your Cham is going to break a hip.

Side note to jannb, your herp vet is better than my personal doctor. How the heck did they detect high blood pressure and hard arteries? Wow

I went to Dr. Doug Mader. He does x-rays (some of the best you have ever seen), ultra sounds and MRI's.

Back
Top Bottom