Senegal Chameleon is dying...

Danicuteeyes

My bf's chameleon, mine at heart too, seems to be dying and it just hurts to much that we can't do anything...
it is his first and he is such a sweet guy, used to climb to the top of our heads and crawl around...
I just can't help to cry and feel this huge lump in my throat...

he is now black with white, and sunken eyes...we believe it is impaction for he hasn't shown any poop in his cage for days...he can't afford a vet

I just can't seem to see him anymore...my heart is breaking as he tries to grip on my finger, wrapping his tail around me...

maybe next time, he would have learned from this experience

here are some pics of him...before all this...

9132_1142818886496_1108170078_1571260_8080244_n.jpg

9935_1127182135587_1108170078_1533597_1916959_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs272.snc1/9935_1127182095586_1108170078_1533596_7941977_n.jpg

9132_1142818926497_1108170078_1571261_709177_n.jpg

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Reptarium, 38 gallon 16.5 x 16.5 x 30
Lighting - Compact UVB lamp, Exoterra 5.0 tropical reptile bulb, clamp lamp with basking bulb
7 am-8 pm
Temperature - What temp range have you created? 85
Lowest overnight temp? 78
How do you measure these temps? hydrometer

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 35-60%
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? spraying, misting on plants
What do you use to measure humidity? hydrometer
Plants - Umbrella plant
Placement - In a room, air conditioner inside room but closed off a bit so it doesn't get too chilly, probably 5-6 feet from the floor
Location - Miami, FL

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Senegal Chameleon, Male, 1 year and 1 month
Handling - Handled him every so often, he was a free roaming kind of senegal, always wanting to get out
Feeding - BF was feeding him meal worms at first, then crickets(live and dead)...gutloaded the live crickets
Supplements - He gave the chameleon only D3 calcium and vitamins...then he started giving it calcium when he started showing signs of sickness
Watering - He mists it in the morning, before he leaves for work, and when he comes back...he's always drank water in front of us
Fecal Description - just yellow and runny...no sign of poop...
History -
Current Problem - He is black with white and yellow markings, barely moving, only thing that is colorful is a spot that is green...we still dont know what it is

we think he is suffering from impaction

Sorry about your problem. I had a Senegal also. Once it turns black like that there is not much else you can do. Truely a cool Chameleon.

your not supposed to use a compact UVB bulb, I did and now my female veiled is probably permanently blind in her right eye and does not eat on her own. You are supposed to use a linear tube uvb lamp

Have you tried electrolytes, like Pedilyte with a dropper and force a few drops in his mouth? It's worth a try.

Im sorry for lizard that you find yourselves in this predicament.
There can be no response to this thread, that I am willing to live with in good concience, other than 'take it to a vet, a.s.a.p'.

A few days ago your only concern was a yellow spot,
https://www.chameleonforums.com/chameleon-skin-problem-32444/ (and you refused to give details) now you beleive its impacted and dying? If your lizard is in serious trouble, nothing anyone here can tell you to do, other than this, is going to save it. Thats the bottom line. Your lizard, your responsibility.

'Cant afford a vet' just dosen't cut it. You, or your boyfreind, took into your possession a living creature that you had no idea how to care for, nor the willingness or means to provide care for.
I suggest strongly that either you make payment arrangements with a vet and have it diagnosed immediately,Beg borrow or steal, or surrender it into the care of somebody who can afford its requirements.

Your only other option is to make self justifications and excuses, and post about how your heart is breaking while you wait for it to die. Your choice.
My 'compassion-o-stat' tends to plummet when I read 'Can't afford a vet'. This is because too many folk are actually simply unwilling to afford a vet, rather than dont have the money, because they consider a small cheap pet, somehow 'unworthy' of the expense, especially if the vetcare will cost more than replacing the animal when it dies.

maybe next time, he would have learned from this experience

Sounds like you made your choice already and hope there never comes a 'next time'. :(

Last edited:
NOTHING makes me more angry than "I can't afford a Vet". If you cannot afford a vet, do not get an animal.

Senegals are not an easy cham. They are one of the most imported WC's and are usually very inexpensive, yet they stress and die over and over again. Handling is something that just should not be done with these guys. Acclimation and taking care of parasites is yet another issue.

When chams get sick-you cannot just wait and see if it will get better. Like birds they mask symptoms until the end and keel over.

Is it true that veileds are a little more tolerable to handle? I do not handle mine at all a this point.. Him relocating and not eating on his own yet..But I heard through the grapevine veileds can be handled more than others. This true?

NOTHING makes me more angry than "I can't afford a Vet". If you cannot afford a vet, do not get an animal.

Senegals are not an easy cham. They are one of the most imported WC's and are usually very inexpensive, yet they stress and die over and over again. Handling is something that just should not be done with these guys. Acclimation and taking care of parasites is yet another issue.

When chams get sick-you cannot just wait and see if it will get better. Like birds they mask symptoms until the end and keel over.

Amen sister.

I am sad your animal is I'll but I am also upset with how people get into something they aren't ready for and then wait till it's too late. Call a vet and see if they can help.

If you can't afford a vet it means you aren't trying hard enough. There are ways to get money to take it to the vet, that animal can't take itself to a vet. You have decided it's fate and not trying to help it is just as bad as someone who brutally beats a puppy for fun.

I agree with everyone else. If you can't afford a vet don't buy a animal.

I agree and chameleons need more vet care than most animals such as dogs and cats. Chameleons are very expensive animals to keep. It just breaks my heart to know that that little guy has been sick and you have not took him to the vet.

wow you are just really helpful...
in the words of Lamb of God, "Pathetic"

To be honest...he was being the most helpful here. Who are you to know if this animal couldn't be saved???

Not to mention, your post has the least positive input in this thread yet.

Oh one more thing.....Did you really have to quote a band for one word?? really???

Is it true that veileds are a little more tolerable to handle? I do not handle mine at all a this point.. Him relocating and not eating on his own yet..But I heard through the grapevine veileds can be handled more than others. This true?

I wouldn't put much faith in that, they are not a creature that likes handling.
That said, veilds are considered a reasonabley 'hardy' chameleon compared to other species, and are most common for this reason.

As far as handling, the species really dosent make a difference, some are more tolerant than others, some folk have 'easy going' veilds, while others swing the otherway to extreme. Time will tell for you.

The important thing to remember is to let your lizard 'tell' you whats ok or not.
Learn to read the signs/behaviours and what they mean. Never force a stressed or defensive lizard, learn how to approach and,
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-handle-chameleon-18438/ when nesssary or when it seems willing.

:)

Glad you're here to help.

wow you are just really helpful...
in the words of Lamb of God, "Pathetic"

LOL, and your helpful advice would be..........?:confused:

Hearing a sob story about how someone has a sick animal and can't do anything for it, has no place in the health clinic, unless they are asking for help. This person didn't give any information about the animal or it's setup. Telling this member how to ask for help, gives them a chance to get help and gives the thread a real purpose. You obviously don't have anything helpful to add, so what leg do you have to stand on?

LOL, and your helpful advice would be..........?:confused:

Hearing a sob story about how someone has a sick animal and can't do anything for it, has no place in the health clinic, unless they are asking for help. This person didn't give any information about the animal or it's setup. Telling this member how to ask for help, gives them a chance to get help and gives the thread a real purpose. You obviously don't have anything helpful to add, so what leg do you have to stand on?

thanks guys for the help...just to tell you guys...IT IS NOT MY CHAMELEON, I don't live with my bf and It's not my chameleon...I would visit it and take care of it sometimes by holding it and taking it out of its cage (he would grasp to the cage mesh)

When i saw how cool that chameleon was, I read up on this forum ALOT before I got my chameleon from BocaJan, so I'm taking care of my own veiled...and I have a steady job which I can afford to take it to the vet if It got sick for any chance...

My bf just didn't know about the calcium and D3 stuff...The person who sold it to him just told him to get calcium, and he went to petsmart and bought the only calcium there...(like always) only with D3.

The chameleon passed away today, we buried him in a small box with a Y spelled on top by a tree...I put pink flowers on top of the small box...

My bf never gets on these types of forums because people end up bickering on the thread posted and have different views...No need to put extra comments on bagging other people...

Also it was ME who cried because I personally couldn't do anything because it wasn't mines, I don't have a car...I just hated seeing him like that

thanks guys for the help...just to tell you guys...IT IS NOT MY CHAMELEON, I don't live with my bf and It's not my chameleon...I would visit it and take care of it sometimes by holding it and taking it out of its cage (he would grasp to the cage mesh)

When i saw how cool that chameleon was, I read up on this forum ALOT before I got my chameleon from BocaJan, so I'm taking care of my own veiled...and I have a steady job which I can afford to take it to the vet if It got sick for any chance...

My bf just didn't know about the calcium and D3 stuff...The person who sold it to him just told him to get calcium, and he went to petsmart and bought the only calcium there...(like always) only with D3.

The chameleon passed away today, we buried him in a small box with a Y spelled on top by a tree...I put pink flowers on top of the small box...

My bf never gets on these types of forums because people end up bickering on the thread posted and have different views...No need to put extra comments on bagging other people...

Also it was ME who cried because I personally couldn't do anything because it wasn't mines, I don't have a car...I just hated seeing him like that

It is sad watching a cham die...especially because sometimes it seems like there is nothing you can do. Rather than watch a pitty thread I thought giving it some direction might serve the animal better.

Sorry for you and your BF's loss. next time he knows a bit more. Every keeper loses an animal.. as sad as it is, it helps the keeper know more about the animal. It ensures that the next time (if there is a next time) they might do it a bit better, if they learned something from the last time.

I am glad you read the forums. Sure, it takes some filtering to get the info on the forums.... but reading, learning, (i hope from someone who knew what there were talking about) and sharing what you learned with a newer member looking for help, is what keeps the forums going.

Back
Top Bottom