Safety Precautions necessary?

yojon3000

Okay so yea everyone washes their hands after handling a cham. But when my cham escapes I wipe the floor in my room. Is it necessary. I mean Ive seen videos of people having their chams on their beds with them their crested geckos on their bed I mean do they sleep in that bed? is that a way you can get sick? do you hold them on the couch/bed do you wash it? Cause anything my cham touches that isnt his i clean it...is that bad/good/not needed? what do you do when your cham is walking on the floor of your room or on your computer do you not do anything? ive seen people hold their cameras right after holding their reptile. ive seen people put their fake plants on the floor of their room while cleaning a cage. I mean am i just being a clean freak or what?

Okay so yea everyone washes their hands after handling a cham. But when my cham escapes I wipe the floor in my room. Is it necessary. I mean Ive seen videos of people having their chams on their beds with them their crested geckos on their bed I mean do they sleep in that bed? is that a way you can get sick? do you hold them on the couch/bed do you wash it? Cause anything my cham touches that isnt his i clean it...is that bad/good/not needed? what do you do when your cham is walking on the floor of your room or on your computer do you not do anything? ive seen people hold their cameras right after holding their reptile. ive seen people put their fake plants on the floor of their room while cleaning a cage. I mean am i just being a clean freak or what?

Personally, I'm terrible at washing my hand etc after holding my pets. In general, it benefits your immune system to have some exposure to the germs because then your body is then able to develop antibodies to protect you. but if your not exposed your body won't have as much resistance. It's like catching chicken pox when you're a kid- after that you're immune because your body recognises the germs. That's the principle behind most vaccines- they put dead viruses into your body, your body develops the antibodies, so when it comes across live ones it fights them off straight away.

I don't know much about what bacteria reptiles carry, I guess it's prudent to wash your hands but I personally recommend not being over zealous with the cleaning.

I've heard that it's ok to use a 10% bleach solution to clean your chams cage and things, but personally, I'm scared to do that- what if I don't rinse it properly?

I mainly wash my hands inbetween reptiles so i dont transfer things from one to the other. I don't care about the germs on me. My guys do little running around my house but I wouldn't be to concerned if u keep a tidy house. My concern would be the chemicals u clean with that ur animal then comes in contact with

I'd agree. Nothing wrong with being clean, but the chance that your cham contaminates a bed or floor with something dangerous to you (other than salmonella) is remote. It doesn't get exposed to many different new germs if it never leaves your house or room. Hate to worry you, but YOU are probably the biggest germ transporter because of where you go and what you handle every day.

Honestly I have NEVER washed my hands after holding any of my current or rpevious reptiles and have never gotten sick and they have never gotten sick. I had 2 red eared slider turtles, I have had many snakes, I took care of a tegu and some bearded dragons, I have my chameleon plus others I have had in the past, and I have had frogs and salamanders. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that your chameleon would carry any diseases unless it had internal parasites which can be fixed. Also, your not going to get salmonella from your chameleon :) Honestly the only time you would contract salmonella from a reptile is if it is housed in extremely dirty living conditions. You can get more illnesses from your cat or dog than you can a reptile. (unless you have a komodo dragon, then your F****d :D)

If I had a baby or a toddler or even a 4 or 5 year old child I would think wiping the floor after a chameleon excursion was a requirement. They are little and so more vulnerable to infections, they are in contact with the floor far more than we are. I could make a case for doing it if I had a small dog. Oh, heck, any dog, they all lick the floor.

That said, you need to clean to your level of comfort. I have my own personal "things" that others think are silly. I say who cares what others think? I have to be comfortable. If mopping the floor after a chameleon escape makes you more comfortable, who does that hurt? No one. It makes you feel better and there is no better reason to mop a floor than "It makes me feel better".

Back
Top Bottom