Safety over aesthetics

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Will soon be setting up a new/bigger enclosure for my veiled girl Stella and really want to put in some air plants, a bromeliad and perhaps some moss. Am also wondering about philodendron and wandering Jew. She is a very avid plant eater so I need to make sure those would be safe for her.

I think some species of philodendron are not good for them...and veileds are very likely to take bites out of whatever you put in there in the way of plants.

I tried multiple types of dracena and pothos for Beman. I even have two orchids in there right now. He tried the orchid and has not tried it again. Lol I don’t think he liked the texture of the leaf. He does not munch on the dracena at all. But he does love his pothos plants lol. I did not do wandering Jew because they are very fragile and would be no match for his weight.

I think some species of philodendron are not good for them...and veileds are very likely to take bites out of whatever you put in there in the way of plants.
Yes. Stella has nibbled just about every leaf of her pothos. She really loves her plants!

I have philodendron in clarice’s enclosure - its a large, broad leaf and she hasnt taken a bite yet... but she nibbled on a lot of her plants when younger. I think most
Philodendron are in the same boat as pothos - technically toxic due to high levels of oxalates

Philodendron are in the same boat as pothos

This. Right here. Check the pet Poison site for exactly why a plant is considered "toxic", and go from there. Oxalates arent a toxin - they're tiny bits of indigestible crystals that may prove irritating at an unidentified concentration. The sap of many ficus species (including benjamina, the most commonly used in the hobby) causes dermatitis (skin irritation).

Wandering jew isn't pulling up any flags for me, and unless she's mowing down crazy amounts I wouldnt bat an eye on using some!

Thanks so much for all of the input. I’m hoping once I get her out of her cramped little cage, she’ll find other things to do besides eat her plants. What about air plants and mosses? Would those cause any potential problems?

Thanks so much for all of the input. I’m hoping once I get her out of her cramped little cage, she’ll find other things to do besides eat her plants. What about air plants and mosses? Would those cause any potential problems?
So the only thing I would be really concerned with are the mosses... Just because she is such a plant eater and to me that would be a potential impaction risk. Have you tried getting dandelion leaves from the store and clipping them into the cage? See if she goes for those instead? Then you just change them out each day. It was suggested to me to try when Beman was younger although he never went or them.

So the only thing I would be really concerned with are the mosses... Just because she is such a plant eater and to me that would be a potential impaction risk. Have you tried getting dandelion leaves from the store and clipping them into the cage? See if she goes for those instead? Then you just change them out each day. It was suggested to me to try when Beman was younger although he never went or them.
I had tried dandelion with Grumpy and she had no interest. Now they aren’t available. I do give both girls shaved sweet potato, apple, parsley and whatever other organic things I can find. Stella is more accepting, but seems to depend on her mood.

I had tried dandelion with Grumpy and she had no interest. Now they aren’t available. I do give both girls shaved sweet potato, apple, parsley and whatever other organic things I can find. Stella is more accepting, but seems to depend on her mood.
It is a total #VeiledProblems situation huh :hilarious: The Panther owners don't realize how easy they have it with their non plant eating chams. The struggle is real in the world of the Veiled :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom