Roaches living in enclosure 🤔

bbyoda

Chameleon Enthusiast
My boyfriend counted about 10 roaches inside Yoda's enclosure tonight. Hanging on the screen or branches or the floor.

I guess they escaped from his feeding gallery. It's lost a few tacks so it's a little loose.

Should I be trying to remove them? Any chance that they'd breed or become an issue?

My enclosure is bioactive so they have plenty of places to burrow and make their home.

I had this happen in all of mine, they never bred in my enclosures and I had a lot at one point. Our cham temps are generally low for roach breeding, though I'm sure it's possible too. Mine worked well as CuC. In large numbers they might chew on plants, but I never had that problem.

They breed at night/dark at around 100 degrees fahrenheit, so i wouldn't worry about that them multipling. They can live in there for a very long time and will survive off of droppings. Don't worry about your chameleon eating them because they'll learn to hide all day long. If you want to catch them then, get a bucket, go in durning late night/dark with a flashlight and catch as many as you can. After a few nights of doing this you'll get most of them. You don't have to get them all, but I'd recommend keeping their numbers under control or they will chew up at other things when the food/poop source is gone. Do not mix them back in with feeders or breeders as I said they have been living off of poop, I toss mine in a bag and freeze over night to kill.
Happy roach hunting :).

And.. if you have or leave one tiny crack open in your cage over night, they'll get out and you'll find them around your house. Then just get a cat :).

I do have some openings in the bottom because I'm doing bioactive in the dragon strand and the way my soil bin is in there (just the weight of it) creates some openings in the pvc bottom. So far only isopods have managed to get out. Maybe the roaches like it in there. 😂 But I do have cats to catch any bugs that escape. Not worried about infestations; just want things to be good for my cham and his enclosure!

I'm going to leave them be for now!

Last edited:
I do have some openings in the bottom because I'm doing bioactive in the dragon strand and the way my soil bin is in there (just the weight of it) creates some openings in the pvc bottom. So far only isopods have managed to get out. Maybe the roaches like it in there. 😂

Haha, then you probably already have some loose, but it's no bid deal as they do not breed without high nightly temps. Not trying to scare you but here are some of my stories.

One day my Mom slept over and found one crawing over her in bed, the scream she let out was worth it....hehe. Another time my wife was giving her friends old baby cloths and their was one in the pile, her friends jumped and screamed, hehe...whoops. I've watch my dog just stare at one running across face and he did nothing. They like to hang out under room heaters and under the fridge so you can probably catch them there.

I've since then had my cage completely sealed with weather strip and check every month at nigtht to control the population, no more have escaped for the past few years.

Back
Top Bottom