Roaches infesting enclosure’s plants

So, put a couple dubia in a feeder cup, and they go motionless pretty quick. Surinams behave like they’re on crack. They move fast and erratically in search of somewhere to burrow.
Ah... OK, THX. I don't know that I'd call that "much more mental stimulation", but that's fine. I keep my dubias moving by tossing a giant mealworm in the cup w/ the dubias, or putting the cup in the shade.

Ah... OK, THX. I don't know that I'd call that "much more mental stimulation", but that's fine. I keep my dubias moving by tossing a giant mealworm in the cup w/ the dubias, or putting the cup in the shade.
Fair enough. But I swear those surinams move. Have you tried some super fast moving feeders, or flyers, or anything green? I just see some focused and energetic behaviour from my chams when I use one of the above, compared to the almost lazy feeding behavior they display for slower moving bugs. Perhaps we should call it visual/prey drive stimulation, instead of mental stimulation?

Last edited:
I got rid of my surinam colony (that I was too afraid to feed from). They can reproduce parthogenetically, which is a big ol' nope from me. I find them in my plants that are purchased from down south, quite often. They typically burrow and stay in the soil if they are happy, but due to their reproductive abilities, they can quickly reproduce and will eventually spread out when it gets crowded.

I've succumb to the fact that any feeder is going to escape at some point. Adult dubia are gross - but I am sure there are a few living in my cham enclosures or hiding under an appliance. It's just a fact... so I've given away any of the colonies that would give me heart failure if found outside of an enclosure. Surinam, hissers, and orange heads - no more! A wild and free Dubia is probably still in the same exact hiding spot for a year.

I got rid of my surinam colony (that I was too afraid to feed from). They can reproduce parthogenetically, which is a big ol' nope from me. I find them in my plants that are purchased from down south, quite often. They typically burrow and stay in the soil if they are happy, but due to their reproductive abilities, they can quickly reproduce and will eventually spread out when it gets crowded.

I've succumb to the fact that any feeder is going to escape at some point. Adult dubia are gross - but I am sure there are a few living in my cham enclosures or hiding under an appliance. It's just a fact... so I've given away any of the colonies that would give me heart failure if found outside of an enclosure. Surinam, hissers, and orange heads - no more! A wild and free Dubia is probably still in the same exact hiding spot for a year.
Why no orange heads?

Fair enough. But I swear those surinams move. Have you tried some super fast moving feeders, or flyers, or anything green? I just see some focused and energetic behaviour from my chams when I use one of the above, compared to the almost lazy feeding behavior they display for slower moving bugs. Perhaps we should call it visual/prey drive stimulation, instead of mental stimulation?
I've always heard/read it referred to as stimulating their feeder or hunting response. Whatever. 🤷‍♂️
It causes him to display his "hungry colors". :cool:

If I were 30 years younger and could get around better, I'd probably try some of those. I'm using dubias, crickets, and giant mealworms as his main staples, with some of the other worms/larvae for variety. For a little enrichment, I rearrange a few things in the enclosure (relocate his highways), move his feeder cups (he knows where the food is), and twice a week he gets to run around on the Missus' plant table and play "gargoyle."
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-variety-of-chameleon.184992/

I put a couple crickets in with my dubia when I feed them and it keeps them going Although the last order of crickets I got have nearly all died in the last week. I think they got cold on their way here and it really effected them. The roaches come in alive and no problems but crickets are finicky

Back
Top Bottom