RI

Asour89

Established Member
So, the other day I started to notice my Reptar having a little bubbling from his mouth and he was doing a weird kind of gasp. It worries me, so we went to the vet yesterday and he has a mild RI. She said other than that, he looks very healthy, so it shouldn’t be a problem getting him better. He’s also 43 grams now. She prescribed him Baytril and gave me syringes to inject his food. I successfully injected a feeder and fed it to him this morning. I have also raised his temps, per vets recommendation.
My question... is there anything that I need to worry about while he is taking the Baytril? I know that I have seen it has horrible side effects. I also know that I need to make sure he stays hydrated, which I do. Is there any other special conditions I need to meet?

About a year ago my horned frog had a bacterial infection (red leg) so I took him to my fathers vets and he was prescribed with a baytril. This quickly cleared up the infection, however the baytril caused damage to his internal organs and he stopped eating and passed away, however he was one of the unlucky few. Also I would raise the temperature a bit as this can help to ‘burn out’ the infection. Good luck.

My girl Lily has been on an extended regimen of Baytril (must be on what, week 3? Week 4? I'd have to check my calendar), and is handling it as well as can be expected. Just make sure Reptar is well hydrated, and it'll be fine.

A lot of the reported organ shut downs can't be directly linked to Baytril, although there are many anecdotal accounts. I had a chance to play my with my vet's VIN (Veterinary Information Network - like a subscription based forum for vets) with her permission, and Baytril is no more dangerous than any other drug when the correct precautions are taken. Hydration is key! Like many medications, it can cause damage to the kidneys if the animal is dehydrated.

You really should check your husbandry. Chances are if your Cham got a RI there is something wrong with your setup.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

You really should check your husbandry. Chances are if your Cham got a RI there is something wrong with your setup.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I’ve filled this out once before... in a different forum. Let me see if I can find it.

• Your Chameleon - Panther , male, 5 months
  • Handling - Maybe once a month, depending on how much of the cage needs cleaning.
  • Feeding - Dubia, BSFL, silks, hornworms. 4-5 med Dubia, a few BSFL, hornworm/silks are treats. Every other morning. Dry Dubia gutload, collards/mustard greens, sweet potato, carrots, bee pollen.
  • Supplements - Repashy LoD every feeding, Calcium with D3 two times per month.
  • Watering - Mistking, 2x daily (morning and evening) for 2.5 mins. One 30 sec in between for humidity. Yes, drinks often.
  • Fecal Description - Brown, slimy, tiny log, with off white urate... yes, has been tested and clear.
  • History - Pretty healthy guy.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Wood, coated with flex-seal, 4 1/2 feet tall, 2 1/2 feet wide. Screen on back and front, wood on 2 sides, trash bag hanging on back for humidity purposes. (Attaches photos for this section)
  • Lighting - ZooMed TH5o, 48 inches, 5.0 UVB. (The bulb is not yet 6 months old and I change every 6 months) 730am - 730 pm
  • Temperature - Top of the cage, 90, middle 80, floor like 70 ish... 60 at night (now, I’ve had to recently adjust bc it was getting colder, which is what my vet said could have caused the RI) Probe thermometer.
  • Humidity - 65%-75%. Misting. Probe temp/hygrometer.
  • Plants - Yes, hibiscus tree & pothos.
  • Placement - Living room. Near ceiling fans, but they’re not getting users. Top of the cage is 4 1/2 feet from floor.
  • Location - NC

Cage

Attachments

• BEF1B0F9-A5E9-4CD6-898A-8003F250C9F9.jpeg
    BEF1B0F9-A5E9-4CD6-898A-8003F250C9F9.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 85659653-3F20-4689-80E6-A9EE16652199.jpeg
    85659653-3F20-4689-80E6-A9EE16652199.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 48
  • F462706F-4C39-4F20-B2EC-80A1CC0F34D2.jpeg
    F462706F-4C39-4F20-B2EC-80A1CC0F34D2.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 95