RI Message of Hope

Fogerty

My 2-3 Month old Female Veiled ,was given to me as a Christmas present , she came complete with an infection and all of the wrong stuff for proper husbandry, all glass enclosure ,insufficient lighting etc.. She came from Petsmart and I almost returned her ,but knowing that would be a death sentence I stuck it out, got her in a screen cage left over from my Late Jackson's , she had all the classic signs of infection, sat all day, blowing bubbles out of her nose, popping noises,head up ,no activity and little appetite, I increased the wattage in her enclosure, from one to two 60 watt basking bulbs ,as well as her UVB lamp, got her temps up , dusted her feeders with Reptivite as well as the calcium for the past few days, and the results have been outstanding, she is constantly active now, hunts more and seems to be a normal healthy critter. She is drinking more, and seems to be making a full recovery. Heat and Vitamins and love seem to work pretty well, I have my fingers crossed that it stays away and her natural immune system is strengthened. I was worried about administering antibiotics ,hopefully it won't be neccessary, thanks to everyone at the forum for advice and support.

Sounds like she is making a quick recovery the only thing I would suggest is getting a fecal sample done -15 to 30 depending on area also se bloodwork is helpful just to be sure , do you use bottled water hopefully you do even in your mister if you have one just use the jugs

I use mostly bottled water and I have that blue additive stuff, I am on a well that is filtered , but it is still kind of Hard water(iron), When I do resort to using it I make sure I get it through my fridge so that it gets an extra level of filtration, I bought a mist King but have not set up the big girl cage yet so I am hand misting and dripping right now, she seems to be hydrating well as her urates are as big as her poops!

Pet stores that act like know-it-alls but aren't actually caring for their animals properly is probably one of my biggest pet peeves. I don't think they should carry animals like chameleons, and everyone should just purchase from reputable breeders. On the same token, shame on the breeders who sell their babies to pet stores that don't know how to properly care for them, just for a quick buck.

It's great that she seems to be improving. Just make sure that it is actually clearing up on its own without antibiotics. Sometimes, they end up with a boost of energy before they perish. It's as if it's their final fight.

As Dirty said, I would also recommend a fecal for one that came from a pet store that doesn't know how to properly care for them. There are a lot of different animals at pet stores. Even if she didn't arrive to the store with a parasite, you never know when she could have come into contact with another animal or feces that does have parasites.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom