Restless Veiled

You said..."She made it through her first clutch of eggs just fine. I only found one egg but need to finish going through the bin"...glad she made it through the egglaying! How many eggs did she lay. It's important to know so you know if you need to adjust her diet and temperatures to be different than you've been doing.

I’m so very glad that all is going so well for you and your pretty girl. My girls have always preferred larger bins too. They can be quite fussy about it. Linda was in contact with me, so I know that I don’t need to remind you about reduced feeding and all that. :) The only advice that I will give is that you could add some more branches for your little sweetie to travel on. To fully utilize your Dragon Ledges, check this out. https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/ Do be careful that your girl doesn’t get too hot or burned from being so close to basking bulb. There should be about 9” distance from your uvb to basking area, and I usually keep the same distance with basking bulb too. Aside from that, I think all looks pretty good and you’re doing great. Thank you for coming back and letting us know how you’re doing. We love hearing about your success.🥰
Thanks for the reminder. She does need some more branches but I've been busy with work and the shop. As far as feeding, I was planning on going down to every other day but she's been quite verbal about being hungry after laying her eggs. She looms over the food bowl looking for something to eat so I planned on humoring her for a few days to get her satisfied and healthy after all that work. As far as the light, it's exactly 9 inches from that branch and gives comparable readings to what I found over at Linda's but I'll keep an eye on it.

You said..."She looms over the food bowl looking for something to eat so I planned on humoring her for a few days to get her satisfied and healthy after all that work"...just a couple of good feedings should be enough and then, IMHO, she needs to be on the "diet" to make sure her next clutch won't be huge.

You said..."She made it through her first clutch of eggs just fine. I only found one egg but need to finish going through the bin"...glad she made it through the egglaying! How many eggs did she lay. It's important to know so you know if you need to adjust her diet and temperatures to be different than you've been doing.
Between work and the online shop I haven't really had time to finish sifting through the sand. I found one so far and that's it. There is still quite a bit of sand in that bin as it's rather huge. When I get a day off from work I want to sift through the rest of it to be sure but so far only found the one. It wouldn't really surprise me if it's just the one. She was lacking proper UVB and likely not getting the full nutrients she needed for a large clutch. This would probably also explain the dirt eating. Hopefully with the new light and some adjustment of my dusting schedule she will stop doing that as much. I've only caught her doing it once since the new setup.

Thanks for the reminder. She does need some more branches but I've been busy with work and the shop. As far as feeding, I was planning on going down to every other day but she's been quite verbal about being hungry after laying her eggs. She looms over the food bowl looking for something to eat so I planned on humoring her for a few days to get her satisfied and healthy after all that work. As far as the light, it's exactly 9 inches from that branch and gives comparable readings to what I found over at Linda's but I'll keep an eye on it.
Yes, for 2-3 days after laying you’ll want to feed her well. I like giving hornworms and silkworms after to help rehydrate. We do have to be mindful of our veiled chameleons, both male and female. They are very opportunistic when it comes to food and will always look and act like they are starving. As soon as mine see me, they all head to their feeding stations expecting food. It can be rough for us sometimes to look at their sweet little begging faces, but we have to stay strong and keep them healthy. I feed all of my chams 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week plus occasional treats. That helps keep them all at a healthy weight and reduces egg production of my girls.

Back
Top Bottom