Respitory Infection

Do you either of you know if your chameleons have an upper or lower respiratory infection? What symptoms are occurring?

The inside of his mouth is yellow, with a slimy mucus. He also has a "cough" which occurs most times right after he drinks. There's also a very slight popping when he yawns.

Baytril is cheap, and its administered orally through a syringe. The amount depends on the weight of your Chameleon. My chameleon just got off of Baytril. It is a very hard on your Chameleons digestive organs. It can reduce your Chameleons appetite. It has made my Chameleon constipated. Hasn't pooped in 5 days now.

The Baytril also didn't fix the lower respiratory infection in my Chameleon. So I recommend your Vet do a Culture and sensitivity test as the Baytril may not be the right antibiotic for the infection and cause your Chameleon more problems on top of his respiratory infection. At least that's what has happened to me. Culture and sensitivity test's can be expensive but is necessary. May I add you to my Friends list? I would like to see how this turns out for you.

I have a method of using a nebulizer which is good for both lower and upper RI's the next best thing to do is inject the amount into a silk or hornworm to help keep them hydrated and keep their appetite up like I said figure out the weight of your animal and I can give you the proper dosage I've been working very closely with my vet

The inside of his mouth is yellow, with a slimy mucus. He also has a "cough" which occurs most times right after he drinks. There's also a very slight popping when he yawns.

If at all possible could you post some pictures of the mucus in his mouth?

Also keep his night time temps up around 90 to keep a fever induced sometimes that alone will help wart it off

Getting pictures will be difficult. I'll try and have them up soon. They won't be the best of quality either...

I have a method of using a nebulizer which is good for both lower and upper RI's the next best thing to do is inject the amount into a silk or hornworm to help keep them hydrated and keep their appetite up like I said figure out the weight of your animal and I can give you the proper dosage I've been working very closely with my vet

Where would I get a Nebulizer? How does it work? I have so many questions about this Method. I have read about it, but your one of the few people on the forums to provide help on respiratory infections.

What's the best way to weigh a chameleon?

Getting pictures will be difficult. I'll try and have them up soon. They won't be the best of quality either...

Thats okay, anything is better then nothing. RI infections is something I'm trying to educate myself on. And anything will help.

Whatcamo would you be able to post more info on the Nebulizer method? What equipment you use. and how you use it.

I've a heat map that I use for breeding dubia. Think that'll work?

If you can place it near him you have to do it when he's asleep so he won't move from it but if it'll keep his ambient temp between 85-90 then yes it'd work

Also keep his night time temps up around 90 to keep a fever induced sometimes that alone will help wart it off

I second this, I picked up a chameleon that had a horrible respiratory infection and after really cranking up the heat and supplementing with pedialyte to keep the cham hydrated despite the heat, she recovered and was back in action.

If you can place it near him you have to do it when he's asleep so he won't move from it but if it'll keep his ambient temp between 85-90 then yes it'd work

Alright I'll see what I can do. I'm so ready for him to be healthy again...

Back
Top Bottom