Repashy calcium plus vs seperate supplements

blackened

Hi everyone,

Currently we are using exo terra calcium, exo terra calcium d3 & Komodo multivitamin in the advised schedule for a veiled chameleon.

However, I see quite a few people using repashy calcium plus on here including quite a few trusted members.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any benefits of using one method of supplementation over the other. All I know is that the calcium plus is a bit easier to manage.

Has anyone crunched the numbers? I could (and happily will) but was wondering if anyone had that info handy.

I started using it this week mainly to make it easier for Cham sitters when we go on holiday. Although I'm using it I would be interested in learning more.

I find this supplement confusing. I prefer to use separate supplements, so I know exactly I am giving the amount he needs. This schedule using the Rep-Cal brand works fantastic for a veiled and/or panther, and is used my many experienced members as well as me:
-Calcium no D3/Phosphorus every feeding
-Calcium with D3 twice a month
-Multivitamin (Herptivite) twice a month
Hope this helps :)

That's okay, it's an important subject and doesnt hurt to repeat.
I use only Repashy CP myself for my chams and now that the Kammer's have
officialy indorsed the product, I feel like I am doing the right thing ;)

I find this supplement confusing. I prefer to use separate supplements, so I know exactly I am giving the amount he needs. This schedule using the Rep-Cal brand works fantastic for a veiled and/or panther, and is used my many experienced members as well as me:
-Calcium no D3/Phosphorus every feeding
-Calcium with D3 twice a month
-Multivitamin (Herptivite) twice a month
Hope this helps :)

Actually that doesn't help:rolleyes: I know chams that have had issues with this supplementation that is relayed like a bunch of parrots on this site. Panthers in particular are suspected of not converting Beta Carotene to Vit A and Herptivite has NO Perform Vit A you would be better with Reptivite.

The reason I find the Repashy better is because it is in balance already. So if your cham doesn't eat on the day you are giving Multivitamin or D3 it's NO big deal they will get a little more tomorrow. Also it has always made sense to give a little bit of potentially dangerous vits like D3 and Vit A a little bit more often then a huge dose twice a month.

The key to everything in life is balance, Repashy just makes that easier. I have raised babies on repashy, given it to adults that were having issues and seen them get better, given it to females that were laying and had perfect clutches...etc.

Actually that doesn't help:rolleyes: I know chams that have had issues with this supplementation that is relayed like a bunch of parrots on this site. Panthers in particular are suspected of not converting Beta Carotene to Vit A and Herptivite has NO Perform Vit A you would be better with Reptivite.

The reason I find the Repashy better is because it is in balance already. So if your cham doesn't eat on the day you are giving Multivitamin or D3 it's NO big deal they will get a little more tomorrow. Also it has always made sense to give a little bit of potentially dangerous vits like D3 and Vit A a little bit more often then a huge dose twice a month.

The key to everything in life is balance, Repashy just makes that easier. I have raised babies on repashy, given it to adults that were having issues and seen them get better, given it to females that were laying and had perfect clutches...etc.

No offense, but I and probably some others find this false. You are DEFINITELY giving balance by giving more than one supplement, Repashy is if you want things to be easier and don't want to do the work of making a schedule. I, personally, like to do things the challenging and successful way. Repashy works, I never said it didn't. But this does too. Tell me, where did you find the info that this schedule is bad? I was also appalled at the first immature sentence you wrote, because in fact, it DOES help. :rolleyes:. Why don't you look on some other threads and posts by some senior members who have proven this works. None of this is meant in a derogatory way, good day to you.

No offense, but I and probably some others find this false. You are DEFINITELY giving balance by giving more than one supplement, Repashy is if you want things to be easier and don't want to do the work of making a schedule. I, personally, like to do things the challenging and successful way. Repashy works, I never said it didn't. But this does too. Tell me, where did you find the info that this schedule is bad? I was also appalled at the first immature sentence you wrote, because in fact, it DOES help. :rolleyes:. Why don't you look on some other threads and posts by some senior members who have proven this works. None of this is meant in a derogatory way, good day to you.
Ok, so what, you have been on here maybe a month already have 660 posts and are the expert:rolleyes: I bet you hadn't even heard of that supplementation protocol two months ago :mad:

From experience, and talking with people that are MUCH more experienced than I, large scale breeders that don't bother coming on here anymore and sharing their knowledge. I also have reviewed every single piece of literature on chameleons and similar species in regard to Vit A, some of which had to be translated into English. The supplement schedule you recommend, was it something you came up with? It is the same often copied schedule that is repeated over and over and yet NO large scale breeder I have talked to uses anything close to that schedule and the ones I discussed it with said it is WAY too conservative and recommend to use more D3 and Muti Vit. The senior members that are so vocal about it tend to feed LOTS of variety including WC insects and has VERY intensive gutloading. This changes everything!! But, your average keeper does NOT feed WC insects or go to the same lengths as far as gutloading. I would argue that that protocol you recommended gives the BARE minimum to not have problems, and for your new keeper that just isn't good enough.
While you are at it you do know that Vit D3 is also used as Rat poison correct? And Rep-Cal D3 has the highest amount of any supplement on the market. I still do not feel good about giving such a large amount of D3 at once. Sticky Tongue Farms would be far better IMO.

I am sorry if I came across as rude. I just get very tired of this fight about supplements. For the most part the vocal members that recommend that supplement hammer it so hard and relentlessly that those that don't agree just keep quiet...which isn't right specially when they are some REALLY knowledgeable experienced keepers.

Last edited:
Ive been using the Repashy Calcium Plus for over a year now and i have never had a problem with it. All the research Ive done on it says that its the most balanced way to make sure your cham is getting everything they need at a balanced level. When i first go MO, i was using like 3 different supplements and trying to figure out when he get it and how much. But the Repashy does that for me so its a lot of time and money saved.

If you are really interested in what I do here it is:

The chams I keep are primarily Panthers with one Veiled

I feed the following as "staples"
Dubia
Crickets
Silkworms
Hornworms
**Some of my chameleons will only take one or two types of feeders. I have a WC pather that will ONLY eat dubia and only when no one is watching.

The crickets and dubia are gutloaded the same.
Repashy Bug Burger mixed with Dino Fuel Raptor edition
Sometimes I will also use Cricket Crack
Carrots
Wet gutload which I blend as fresh organic veggies and freeze into cubes (butternut squash, Kale, Dandalion greens and flowers if I can find them, mustard greens, apple, papaya, red bell paper, & misc other veggies)

Silkworms get fresh mulberry leaves
Horworms just get hornworm chow

Then I give treats as follows:
Superworms
Butterworms
Soldier fly larvae
Mantis
Stick insects
Silk Moth

Supplements:
I dust dubia, crickets, hornwoms, and superworms in Repashy Calcium plus. Females get liquid Cal twice a month. On occation maybe once a month I will dust with Reptivite or Repashy Vit A supplement. Right after laying I will give the females extra Rep Cal plain calcium
All other insects other then the 4 listed are given without dusting.

From experience, and talking with people that are MUCH more experienced than I, large scale breeders that don't bother coming on here anymore and sharing there knowledge. I also have reviewed every single piece of literature on chameleons and similar species in regard to Vit A, some of which had to be translated into English. The supplement schedule you recommend, was it something you came up with? It is the same often copied schedule that is repeated over and over and yet NO large scale breeder I have talked to uses anything close to that schedule and the ones I discussed it with said it is WAY too conservative and recommend to use more D3 and Muti Vit. The senior members that are so vocal about it tend to feed LOTS of variety including WC insects and has VERY intensive gutloading. This changes everything!! But, your average keeper does NOT feed WC insects or go to the same lengths as far as gutloading. I would argue that that protocol you recommended gives the BARE minimum to not have problems, and for your new keeper that just isn't good enough.
While you are at it you do know that Vit D3 is also used as Rat poison correct? And Rep-Cal D3 has the highest amount of any supplement on the market. I still do not feel good about giving such a large amount of D3 at once. Sticky Tongue Farms would be far better IMO.

I am sorry if I came across as rude. I just get very tired of this fight about supplements. For the most part the vocal members that recommend that supplement hammer it so hard and relentlessly that those that don't agree just keep quiet...which isn't right specially when they are some REALLY knowledgeable experienced keepers.

I don't like long replies, so really I didn't have the interest to listen much to that. Unless you're ignorant, you should know that many, many others have suggested this. I learned this from camimom, elizadolots, and more of whom I can't remember. And I'm VERY aware of what D3 is in.

Blackened, chose the schedule that you feel most comfortable in and what's easiest for you.

EDIT: I will not respond to any more useless protests against my very effective method. :p

I don't like long replies, so really I didn't have the interest to listen much to that. Unless you're ignorant, you should know that many, many others have suggested this. I learned this from camimom, elizadolots, and more of whom I can't remember. And I'm VERY aware of what D3 is in.

Blackened, chose the schedule that you feel most comfortable in and what's easiest for you.

EDIT: I will not respond to any more useless protests against my very effective method. :p

Hello I am blackened gf.

We are not new to supplement schedule and we are doing the normal plain daily and d3 multivitamin twice a month at the moment.

The reason we ask about repashy cal plus is because we I have seen a lot of other senior members recommend it (camimom being one of them).

We are looking for the best for our little girl and tbh, I am thinking cal plus is the way to go. Think about it, you have a big fat milkshake on its own- your body is loaded with sugar and it passes through you. You have same milkshake with a healthy meal and all sugars are processed properly along with the various other food stuffs.

My take on it is that you don't want to just have healthy 'spikes' and overload one type of vit at one time of the month. IMO it would be better to make it a regular intake and that way you she will always have a steady vit level.

Anyhoo, the reason we made this post is because we wanted some senior members with experience to guide us in the right direction, not one single persons persistent opinion, we've already seen that and just wondered if this would be better.

I think we have our answer, repashy chameleon calci plus in the mail!

EDIT: I have to add that I do not believe repashy is for people who want to shirk scheduling responsibilities. It's for open minded people who are constantly looking to improve on old methods and learn new things. IMO all good chameleon keepers have this open minded quality :)

Last edited:
this supplementation that is relayed like a bunch of parrots on this site.

I too have been repeating that particular schedule, but only when the user's existing schedule would have definitely caused some problem (hypocalcemia or vitaminosis d). Apart from one case where I did not know about repashy calcium plus (I should've held my tongue or done my research before posting and I have acknowledged that).

Herptivite has NO Perform Vit A you would be better with Reptivite.

Forgive me, I'm still learning, isn't preformed vitamin A bad? I read it can build in the chameleon's system and reduce the absorption of vitamin D.

I do see the sense in this. I don't know how a chameleon's biology works but I do know that humans do better with a 'little and often' approach. Of course, for all I know, chameleons could be very different.

The key to everything in life is balance

I strongly agree with this statement. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Swayne, I too believe that nothing good comes easily. Hence I'm taking the time to ask (what are hopefully) the right questions. I would like to believe that the schedule you have given (that I currently use) has been of help to the people I have given it to. The thought of my advice inadvertently damaging one of these noble creatures is enough to make me hang my advice giving hat.

Clark, may I ask are the sources you have read online? If they are would you maybe share any links you may have? I'm eager to learn and only want the best for our chameleon. Also, thanks for your whole feeding schedule. It's appreciated.

We are currently feeding our veiled crickets, locusts and silkworms (she doesn't seem too keen on the dubia roaches we tried her with).

Crickets and locusts are both fed a dry mix (got a recipe from sandrachameleon, she really seems to know her stuff) and a variety of fresh fruit & veg (carrots, kale, steamed yam, peppers, strawberry).

Silkworms are fed silkworm chow, maybe need to invest in a mulberry bush if indeed it will grow here in the middle of the North Sea :).

I truly did not mean to start any argument. I, like all of us, just want what is best.

Hi everyone,
Currently we are using exo terra calcium, exo terra calcium d3 & Komodo multivitamin in the advised schedule for a veiled chameleon.
However, I see quite a few people using repashy calcium plus on here including quite a few trusted members.

Both ways can work. I prefer having several products, and that way i can choose to use only that which is actually needed.

For example, you dont need a calcium product (or any of the various "all in ones" that contains calcium) when using butterworms or terrestrial isopods.

Ive been using the Repashy Calcium Plus for over a year now and i have never had a problem with it. All the research Ive done on it says that its the most balanced way to make sure your cham is getting everything they need at a balanced level.

Balanced for what? Each feeder/prey choice provide different nutrients, your gutloading will vary, whether or not the chameleon is outside varies among keepers, type of chameleon (and thus its needs) vary also.

Certainly I wouldnt use the Repashy product daily. I do use it occassionally, at those times when it makes sense to do so.

IMHO, most all in one products, most supplements generally, are over-used.

Supplements should be supplementary to a good diet.

P.S. - you absolutely CAN have healthy long lived panther and vieled chameleons withOUT having to supplement with preformed Vitamin A. Despite that many on this particular forum think otherwise. I think the smart approach (and the one I now prefer) is to use just a little now and then, as insurance.

I also have the Calcium Plus AND plain calcium, and use them now and then throughout the week when I see fit. I don't use either product every day or with every feeder type. Crickets get plain calcium most often, to correct their poor phosphorous:calcium ratio while things like roaches get the Calcium Plus now and then. Butterworms, hornworms, silkworms, mantises, grasshoppers etc. etc, don't get dusted at all. The females will get a slightly heavier dusting of plain calcium every so often and a drop of liquid calcium injected into a feeder a few times a month if it seems they are working on eggs.

I guess I'm with Sandra, my "schedule" is much more fluid and it depends on what is on the menu and what the menu got to eat the night before.

Also, be wary of who you consider an expert on here. Just because someone may have 5,000 posts doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. Often times the real experts on here are the mostly silent members, who don't say much very often but when they do it's worth listening to. ;)

I strongly recommend listening to sandrachameleon. She is the absolute best on this site IMO on chameleon nutrition.

I strongly recommend listening to sandrachameleon. She is the absolute best on this site IMO on chameleon nutrition.

thank you!

BUT I actually caution anyone from listening to only one voice.
There are many members here with as much and MORE knowledge on the subject.
Further, what works for one person doesnt necessarily work for another persons situation. And the situation changes as much as daily too!

I'm with Olimpia :) I advocate a "schedule" that is fluid, adjusted to "what is on the menu and what the menu got to eat the night before."

thank you!

BUT I actually caution anyone from listening to only one voice.
There are many members here with as much and MORE knowledge on the subject.
Further, what works for one person doesnt necessarily work for another persons situation. And the situation changes as much as daily too!

I'm with Olimpia :) I advocate a "schedule" that is fluid, adjusted to "what is on the menu and what the menu got to eat the night before."

I knew you would be here to post on this topic soon ;) And I agree that a fluid supplementation is best. BUT there is a lot that goes into all YOU do in your chameleon keeping as is the case for Olimpia. I would venture to say that there are only a few dozen people in the country that do anywhere near what you do. Also I'm not sure many people have the intellect to do what you do or reason out what you do or have the expience on their side. I mean some of what you say about performed vit A flies against what many of the most knowledgeable chameleon people in the world think including doctors.

Can people do what you do? Yes! I'm a doctor, spent years running a research laboratory, I have no problem understanding and going beyond. BUT!!! 99.9% can't or will not. I posted up my general structure of nutrition in a previous post, and that was just a quick dumbed down version of what I do.

I feel strongly that an all-in-one supplement like Cal+ is a god send to the chameleon community that allows new keepers and your average keeper to provide a balanced and safe protocol on the typical diet provided.

As far as all the literature reviews, it was many different sources, books research papers blogs by experts (check out Dr. Alfanso's blog) etc.

Performed Vit A is a lipid soluble vitamin like Vit D. This means out of balanced and it can build up. Both low levels of Vit A and Vit D can cause very bad health issues and they do "play" together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom