Repashy Bug Burger

maggiemay1969

I know that a variety is very important in a cham's diet,and that whatever your cricket eats, your cham is eating... but is it okay to feed your crickets just this 'bug burger' stuff exclusively? I just bought some and it hasn't arrived yet, but I was wondering if this is a well-rounded enough diet for them (the crickets) or should I STILL be providing fruit and veggies. It sure would be nice and convenient to only have to provide this one gutload if it is good enough to give my cham what it needs.

Oh, by the way my cham, Wiley, gets hornworms, butterworms, crickets and supers....so he can/does get variety of vitamins/minerals/h20 from these other sources too...He has shown zero interest in the fruits/veggies on his own.

So...Any thoughts good or bad on feeding strictly 'bug burger' to the crix?
Thanks for any thoughts/opinions....

i have been useing the bug burger it is easy to make and the crickets love it i use it along with the repashy cal plus and i think my cham is looking great and enjoys his food:D

bug burger was formulated to be an all in one every meal replacement...so yeah...you can use it every time!

ive used it and really like it and i know all the bugs ive kept have enjoyed it!

I use the Bug Burger along with the Cricket Crack (as well as, fresh fruits and veggies, of course!). Call me crazy, but I don't like to eat the same thing day after day after day.. healthy or not. ;)

All my feeder bugs like them both! :)

I know that a variety is very important in a cham's diet,and that whatever your cricket eats, your cham is eating... but is it okay to feed your crickets just this 'bug burger' stuff exclusively? ....

My understanding is that it is intended as the sole food for crickets or roaches. Quite a bit of research and thought appears to have gone into its making. I've not used it long enough to have a personal opinion, but it seems like you'd be find to use this as your only (or primary) cricket food. Especially as you are using other feeders gutloading differently.

well, i did a little research into bug burger, along with asking some people on other forums, and I went ahead and ordered some 32oz of it.

Apparently the old bug burger was 20% calcium, and the new stuff is 13% calcium. The 20% was too high in calcium for dubia roaches, and was causing high mortality rate in adult dubias. But it didn't effect nymphs. One guy had a lot of 20% left over, and he feeds that to nymph dubias, and the 13% new stuff to adult dubias.

I can only assume that what I ordered from joshsfrogs (his shipping was cheaper than ordering straight from repashi) that it will be 13% calcium. Even if it isn't, I'm not feeding my entire colony on this stuff. I will set up a gut load box where I will place dubias that will be eaten, into a few days prior, and feed them the bug burger. And just keep adding in more mid size dubias into the container.

This will help me maintain good feeder roaches for my lizards, while still having low calcium roaches to feed to my growing spineless wonder collection(Tarantulas). All while not wasting bug burger on roaches that aren't going to be eaten any time soon.

Lastly, you can use bug burger to feed horn worms also, just don't mix it with too much water.

Just to clarify,

There was only one batch of Bug Burger made (the very first batch of 100 kilos) that was 20% protein. I then changed the formula, but it took a while to get the labels changed, so if your label says 20% still, it is probably the new formula. The first batch of bug burger is long gone for sure.

Allen

and yeah in my previous post I meant protein not calcium, my bad...

I got my bug burger today and says 20% protein, but I'll assume its 13%. Anyway,

I mixed up 1/4 cup burger 3/4 cup water, microwaved for 2 minutes, and chilled it in my freezer. This stuff smells good. I can't exactly place it, but it almost smells like oat meal raisin cookies, mixed with an earthier plant smell. I almost want to try it.

My dubias are pretty full on apple and romaine but I gave it to them this evening, I assume it will be gone by morning. Though I need to dry out my colony its really humid.

thanks for chiming in Allen

Great Stuff!!! I use it for my crickets every day. I use the Bug Burger as the 24 hour Gutload before feeding them off. I dust with Calcium Plus daily.

For the 1000 count cricket bins, I use Superload as feed and Hydroload for hydration. This allows me to leave the food in the bins 24/7 and just add water gel as needed.

Love the Repashy line!! :D

Great Stuff!!! I use it for my crickets every day. I use the Bug Burger as the 24 hour Gutload before feeding them off. I dust with Calcium Plus daily.

For the 1000 count cricket bins, I use Superload as feed and Hydroload for hydration. This allows me to leave the food in the bins 24/7 and just add water gel as needed.

Love the Repashy line!! :D

Thanks for the kind words.......

I would have to say that in my opinion, you have this backwards. The bug burger is designed to be an every day food, and the Superload is designed to be used for final gutloading due to its very high calcium level.

Allen

I have been breeding chameleons for a while and they love VARIETY. The bug burger is very nutritious and tasty, but chams love to have different foods. I have a weekly cycle of different gut loads to make sure they dont go on food strikes.
i use
Bug Burger
Flukers Orange total bites
romain lettuce
orange slice
homemade gutload
i give these to the crickets on a constant cycle.
The crickets are what they eat, and if you feed them diferent foods they will get variety and nutrition

Do I need to supply water if I use the big burger? Or is it all in one, like the orange cubes?

In my [novice] advice and so far with my luck with keeping crickets (about 4 weeks of experience...) I'd also keep a water source available. Just don't forget that even large crickets will drown in even 1/4'' of water, so use something like water crystals, gels, or fresh veggies that are high in water. People also DO NOT recommend the orange cubes at all. They're not terrible if you're in a bind, but they are NOT a proper gut load for a chameleon and don't provide enough nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom