Repashy Bug Burger

In my [novice] advice and so far with my luck with keeping crickets (about 4 weeks of experience...) I'd also keep a water source available. Just don't forget that even large crickets will drown in even 1/4'' of water, so use something like water crystals, gels, or fresh veggies that are high in water. People also DO NOT recommend the orange cubes at all. They're not terrible if you're in a bind, but they are NOT a proper gut load for a chameleon and don't provide enough nutrients.

I came to this forum today to ask about Bug Burger, and I see this thread was just revitalized.

I do not think I see crickets eating the Bug Burger much at all. I see others saying their crickets "love" the Bug Burger.

I wonder if I am doing something wrong? I see crickets visiting the water dish but hardly see the visiting the Bug Burger.

I came to this forum today to ask about Bug Burger, and I see this thread was just revitalized.

I do not think I see crickets eating the Bug Burger much at all. I see others saying their crickets "love" the Bug Burger.

I wonder if I am doing something wrong? I see crickets visiting the water dish but hardly see the visiting the Bug Burger.

How many crickets are you keeping and how much Bug Burger are you providing? Crickets don't go through as much food as you might think. Are you preparing the Bug Burger according to the packaging? Each variety of Bug Burger is prepared a little differently. Sometimes I'll also soften up the food if it's too hard, or I'll break it up to make it easier for crickets to get to it. Size matters when it comes to the food and the crickets. Also make sure the food is kept fresh. If you prepare a bunch of Bug Burger, you can break off smaller pieces and freeze the rest to keep it fresh longer.

Hope this helps, but also hope to hear from some more avid members!

You can use for up to 50% of your feeders diet in my opinion. No more though otherwise you get no fresh greens no fresh anything just random good ingredients but I don;t think it's enough to sustain good health in the long run.

I use both Bug Burger and Super Load by Repashy. They are great gut loads
Thanks. Kinda hijacked the thread. Found a post w/ NHenn describing diff. between Bugburger and Superload. Bugburger for everyday and Superload for 24 hrs. prior to feeding. I'll get them both and see what happens.

How many crickets are you keeping and how much Bug Burger are you providing? Crickets don't go through as much food as you might think. Are you preparing the Bug Burger according to the packaging? Each variety of Bug Burger is prepared a little differently. Sometimes I'll also soften up the food if it's too hard, or I'll break it up to make it easier for crickets to get to it. Size matters when it comes to the food and the crickets. Also make sure the food is kept fresh. If you prepare a bunch of Bug Burger, you can break off smaller pieces and freeze the rest to keep it fresh longer.

Hope this helps, but also hope to hear from some more avid members!

I do follow instructions, i.e., no more than 3 parts by volume of water to one part of raw powder.

In reading the post, I thought I'd jump on Amazon and order Bug Burger. I also saw Allen's "Superload Insect Gut Load Formula."
https://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=repashy+bug+burger&sprefix=repashy+bug+burger,aps,292&crid=3NWPQVYA6CYV9
Obviously, they are 2 separate insect gut loads, but what is the difference? Is one better than the other for a mature velied?

You can use for up to 50% of your feeders diet in my opinion. No more though otherwise you get no fresh greens no fresh anything just random good ingredients but I don;t think it's enough to sustain good health in the long run.

You are suggesting no more than 50% feeding of crickets with Bug Burger?

What recipe of veggies/fruits do you use to feed your crickets otherwise?

Okay, okay, I know I've said this a million times before and there are a decent number of people that use Repashy products.... BUT every time this comes up, I just have to point out that the first (read: main) two ingredients are rice and corn products, respectively.

These ingredients are on the AVOID THESE INGREDIENTS list on our Feeding page of the Resources section of this very forum. While I understand that bug burger is not going to kill our chameleons, I just don't think it is the best option. In my opinion, at the very least, some leafy greens like collars, etc. should be used in addition to bug burger. Or, consider getting Cricket Crack, which is leaps and bounds superior than this stuff

I make up 1 scoop of bug burger and 1 scoop of superload then water. The dubia eat it quick and the crickets seem to love it. I also have the Repashy calcium plus but am still not clear on if this would be acceptible to use instead of using the calcium, calcium with D3 and multivitamin schedule everyone recommends. I would love to just use this one not just because 1 supplement would be easier but because it seems like this is a complete nutrition and smells like it would taste a lot better then plain calcium.

I do use the Superload product to gutload my feeders around 24h up to a couple of days before feeding them off (I just put those in a seperate container) at least some of the time. Based on prior research I have read by Mark Finke, to properly gutload crickets and mealworms you need a pretty high calcium content and many commercial gutloads when tested did not conform to their labels. The high calcium content also makes a proper final gutload not good for a maintenance diet hence the separation of superload and bug burger. Superload is 9% calcium so it has the right amount of calcium to boost the Ca:p ratio of many common feeder insects and posts the lab name and results of his testing. Other studies have confirmed the caroteniod content of feeder insects is low compared to wild insects. The superload formula includes a wide variety of natural caroteniod sources in it so you're going to get your feeders closer to the caronteniod contents of wild feeders which presumably will increase their health (and if nothing else will make sure they living up to their full color potential). Having said that I do not use bug burger because I have thousands of mealworms, superworms, roaches, and order crickets and it would simply be too expensive and I've had good luck with vegetables and non-medicated chick feed for a maintenance feeder diet which also gutloads the insects too. I don't see superload as a replacement for anything but just another tool for gutloading insects, between the superload, non-medicated chick feed, vegetables, ground grains, and fruits, there is a lot of different sources of nutrients going into the feeders and ultimately into the reptiles themselves.

I just make my own. Between 200 to 300 (depending on what I can find) organic ingredients. A lot of it colected way out in nature! Things like wild rose petals, rose hips, dandelions, berries etc. I dry them at a low temperature and grind them to a powder. The bugs love it!

Back
Top Bottom