Receptive female panther?

kenya

Avid Member
Hey guys, my female ambilobe, Sencha, has been showing bright pink coloration for the last few weeks. She is still a bit small in my opinion and is estimated to be about 8 months old or so. She weighs about 44 grams and eats like a horse normally, but has been refusing crickets and roaches lately.

So, is she receptive or is this just her adult coloration?

Here are photos of her about a month and a half ago:

DSCN8631.jpg

DSCN8628.jpg

Here she is last week (sometimes she is much pinker than this- she was getting grumpy and was in the sun):

DSCN8755.jpg

DSCN8757.jpg

DSCN8761.jpg

I would say she is def. ready. Have you put her in front of a male?

Well, as to a fellow keepers advice via instant message, yes, they are together as we speak. Neither is being at all aggressive, she is just sitting there waiting to be mounted and he is not head bobbing but is starting to fire up. They are just...regarding each other. It is bizarre.

Is it his first time breading? I notice that it takes much longer for males to become sexualy mature than females. It sounds like she is ready and willing I always leave my chams together for a couple days as long as I'm not seing any signs of stress.

Is it his first time breading? I notice that it takes much longer for males to become sexualy mature than females. It sounds like she is ready and willing I always leave my chams together for a couple days as long as I'm not seing any signs of stress.

It is the first time for both. He is a month younger than she is so he may not be ready.

Also, what kind of breading? Parmesan or garlic? :D

Horrible puns aside, I am not going to leave them together unsupervised (don't worry, I am not sitting right beside them staring) as I don't want to stress them out or chance any aggression.

I would say she is ready to go. Mrs. Fireball was ready at 6 months but had to wait untill she escaped and bred through the cage at around 8 or so months. I would definatly monitor them. When the male figures out what to do and starts to bob his head and get closer she will let him know if she isnt ready. If she starts to sorta walk away but not act aggressive this is her positioning her self for the male. It seems the females know exactly what to do but the males are a little hesitant and not so sure of what to do hahahaha hmmmmmm sounds quite human:eek:hahahaha

If this female is a virgin it may take her a few days to reject him. I would have personally waited to see if she gained alittle more weight but since they've already been introduced its to late now. Not saying a 44g female cant breed but the beefier the better. Just keep an eye on her, and peek at them from time to time.

They didn't breed. I will try introducing them again over the next few days....my male doesn't seem interested but my female stayed very pink and still the whole time. She even moved closer to him at one point as if waiting. :(

Just keep them together. If they're not being aggressive toward eachother and they aren't stressing each other out with their presence theyll be fine. If your male hasn't attacked her already hes probably a gentleman, just keep the together and see what happens. I left a pair of mine together for 5 days before i saw the female rejecting him. If you take her out while shes still receptive, she might begin cycling an infertile clutch.

Just keep them together. If they're not being aggressive toward eachother and they aren't stressing each other out with their presence theyll be fine. If your male hasn't attacked her already hes probably a gentleman, just keep the together and see what happens. I left a pair of mine together for 5 days before i saw the female rejecting him. If you take her out while shes still receptive, she might begin cycling an infertile clutch.

Are you sure? It is a rather small cage (new ones have been getting set up the past week or so)

I have a similar situation. I have a female panther that is a little over a year old, and is the same colors as the photos you posted at yours. My male is also a little over a year. I think they are ready to mate, but not sure how to go about it. Whenever my male sees the female he fires up and head bobs like crazy. he seems to know where her cage is and whenever he comes out of his, he goes straight for her. However, whenever she sees him she gets a darker color, puffs, up,gapes her mouth and hisses. I haven't put them in a cage together. I was told that females sometimes reject the male for a while,and the give in. Is that what she is doing now? or is she definitely not ready?

My female just became receptive as well. Her colors look similar to the ones you posted. About 1 month ago I tried to put my male with her and she puffed up and got mad. Though earlier this week when I noticed her color change I put the male with her and she allowed it.

As far as them actully "breeding" Im not sure he knows exactly what to do. He got on top of her she patiently waited his "member" came out brushed up against her tail and he released......and it landed on the rock on top of the plants....are there any videos he can watch to learn what to do haha.

they have been together for 3 days now shes fine with it hes happy as a lark dumping goo all over the rocks.....not sure if he was sucessful yet or not but as soon as she stresses hes out of chances LoL.

I have a similar situation. I have a female panther that is a little over a year old, and is the same colors as the photos you posted at yours. My male is also a little over a year. I think they are ready to mate, but not sure how to go about it. Whenever my male sees the female he fires up and head bobs like crazy. he seems to know where her cage is and whenever he comes out of his, he goes straight for her. However, whenever she sees him she gets a darker color, puffs, up,gapes her mouth and hisses. I haven't put them in a cage together. I was told that females sometimes reject the male for a while,and the give in. Is that what she is doing now? or is she definitely not ready?

Try putting her in his cage or putting them both in neutral territory. It sounds like she is receptive but being territorial with her cage- my female is doing the same thing. She will be right by him and not be bothered anywhere but in her cage- she gapes in her cage, though.

It sounds like the male isn't old enough. The girl sounds ready however.
Some males are slower to mature. Do you have access to an older male?

Thats so weird that are two males act so differently. Mine seems like a horny little teenager. I wonder if it is because I housed them together when they were very young....what do ya think?

my female seems very fat. Could this be because she holding infertile eggs, or is she just a big girl? Is there any way to know?

Back
Top Bottom