Really wanna know

Hi i am intrested in buying a veild chameleon.However i have done resarch for about a year now and i have only had a crested gecko and some firebelly newts.can you guys tell me what you think is hardest about to take care of the chameleons:)....thaank you:)

I can't speak to raising vieleds, but in general terms , I'm sure my Panther experience is similar.
What is difficult for a long time keeper , would probably be different than that of a newbie.
I expect that newbies will have trouble " reading" their chameleon. With experience, you begin to notice the subtle changes to your cham that indicate issues , such as edema, gout, dehydration, overfeeding , underfeeding, lethargy, parasites..etc. Newbies tend to either under react and find that one day they have a crisis on their hands, or tend to over react and then become paranoid to every perceived change.
My suggestion is to research as much as possible. Read and search this forum on health issues. Ask questions on this forum. You won't be ridiculed for asking a "stupid" question, because everybody here has asked the same questions in the past. Find a mentor either in your community or online. Sometimes a close friend in the hobby can be a great help and moral supporter.
Personally, after several years at this, my own difficulty is balancing supplements. I think of it as a pendulum swinging back ( too much supplementation) and forth ( not enough). I will never get it perfectly correct, so I am resigned to constantly tweaking supplements, by reading my chams needs.
Good luck

Thank you

My moms boyfriend who is over here a lot, has a friend that had chameleons for 5 years.I talk to her all the time.If i have any major problems ill talk to her.Thank you....i am waiting to find the perfect one.preferably one I can handle.

I agree with Brad-if you are intent on handling-please get a Bearded Dragon. A much better choice. Only 1 out of 6 of my chameleons are easily handled, and I don't handle him much.

Im just wondering

The only reason is my friends chameleon was so bad it did not even let him get near the tank.And if i want to clean it every weekend and stuff i dont want that same thing to happen to me.I will listen to you Brad.I have seen a lot of good posts about you on here.:)

the only time i handly my cham, i put him immediately onto a plant to play on, you'll find you have a much easier time when they equate you with play and recreation than them equating you with holding them all day

Back
Top Bottom