Re-vamped enclosure

joeandsoph

Established Member
Well re have re-vamped our enclosure a little. Got live plants now and removed the substrate and just used newspaper. How's it look?

Attachments

• P020509_15.48.JPG
    P020509_15.48.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 209
You should really not have glass...( I think I read that it has one screen side....not sure though) where is the uva bulb?? and how does your cham get water? maybe a few more branches. Oh how old is your cham?

But other than that its very pretty!!!

We do have a dripping system but we're only just re-arranged before taking that pic. The uvb bulb is on the way, was supposed to arrive yesterday but still hasn't.

We're in the UK and once he's a tad bigger we will probably build a new cage. Don't think the glass is too bad as most of it is covered up with plants.

i know alot of people on the forum atcually do use glass cages. The reason glass is bad is not only the reflection(which you have covered with plants), but its also hard to regulate tempature. if you can get a nice constant day and night temp then you should be ok with the glass cage i would imagine. How long has your cham been without uvb light?? If its not to cold outside or windy, you might want to take him/her outside to get some sunlight for a little while

It's still a little windy over in the UK at the mo!! Hoping to have a sunny day tomorrow if it is might try taking him out. He's very reluctant to come out of his snug little tank but once he's out he's great. We do have some decorative background sheets of leaves and stuff which we can put on the glass, would this help?

It's still a little windy over in the UK at the mo!! Hoping to have a sunny day tomorrow if it is might try taking him out. He's very reluctant to come out of his snug little tank but once he's out he's great. We do have some decorative background sheets of leaves and stuff which we can put on the glass, would this help?

not pearticualy, it would only make it look a little nicer but wouldnt make much difference.:eek:

If you are going to be using a dripper, you may want to think about drainage for your plant and glass cage.

I use live plants as well and drip the water off the leaves and let the remainder sink down to the plant soil. I then have the plant resting in a plastic bowl with a hole drilled in it and a control valve plugging the hole with some tubing attached that runs to a bucket so the water can drain out.

This way the plant gets water daily, and doesn't drown from all the water, and I don't have to worry about stagnant water pooling and causing bacteria.

I find that with a glass cage you will get water pooling at the bottom, especially with all the misting as you are supposed to mist them for 3-5 minute intervals and about 3 times a day.

But otherwise your setup is ok, however you do really need that UVB bulb I would call to find out what the delay is.

I can't tell from the pic, but is that back ground in the tank? If so remove it. If you want a back ground, put it behind the tank against the outside of the glass.

I have the same enclosure and I found that my guy liked to climb that wall. Well it gave him easy access to the top screen. My guy burnt his feet hanging under the lamp.

Exo terra cages are not good for Chameleons, unless they are very young and very small. Ya they look cool, they say they have good ventilation, but they for sure dont. You could get a reptarium twice that size or bigger for half of what you payed for that i bet. LLLreptile.com has them for cheap.

I'm using the exact same enclosure at the moment. I'll let you know the problems I'm facing with it.

- Reflection (it seems like my cham can see his reflection some times and gets stressed)

- Barrier Confusion (I've been told because Chams don't encounter glass in the wild, it can cause them some confusion. Sometimes my cham will stand on a branch clawing away at one of the glass walls as if he thinks he can grab something behind it)

- Lack of Drainage (I'm having a Gnat problem because im using a dripper and theres a lack of drainage)

- Ventilation (Not sure how good this thing is or not, seeing as it only has some holes in the front and a screen top, regardless I don't think its enough so i open the front glass doors and supervise)

- Glass cleaning (It WILL get bad if you don't clean it frequently, especially due to the deposits water from misting leaves.)

Sadly, I trusted the guy at Petsmart when he told me glass would be find for a chameleon, but even now im finding my Cham wants to adventure and be more active then the enclosure will let him, regardless of how much vines and branches he has to climb on. I ordered the 2''x2''x4'' screen enclosure for $79.99 (on special) and I'm waiting for its arrival. Sadly, the glass enclosure cost me almost $300.00 and now i have no use for it. I'll probably use it as a temp holder when i need to clean out his occupied enclosure.

As for your enclosure, the only change I'd make is putting the heat lamp more into a corner, just to allow your chameleon some temperature variations incase he wants to cool down a bit, as the glass can hold in a bit too much heat.

I can't tell from the pic, but is that back ground in the tank? If so remove it. If you want a back ground, put it behind the tank against the outside of the glass.

I have the same enclosure and I found that my guy liked to climb that wall. Well it gave him easy access to the top screen. My guy burnt his feet hanging under the lamp.

Well I wasn't sure about putting it on the outside or the inside, as if it's on the outside I was worried there still may be a little reflection issue. As someone else said about the exo-terra tank being no good, he is only a little baby at the mo and we are planning to build a bigger tank as soon as he's a tad bigger.

Exo terra cages are not good for Chameleons, unless they are very young and very small. Ya they look cool, they say they have good ventilation, but they for sure dont. You could get a reptarium twice that size or bigger for half of what you payed for that i bet. LLLreptile.com has them for cheap.

Yeah, that's true. Use the tank for geckos or stumptaileds. For what species is the cage ?

Hey thanks for the reply. He's a male veiled 10 weeks old. Posted a few pics a few days ago. We only have this enclosure temporarily while he is a baby. We are keeping a close eye on him and temperatures etc.

Ok, if it is just temporary it works maybe some weeks more, but please look for another cage as soon as possible

He we have already started looking and found some mesh enclosures :) At least then we will overcome our drainage problem (hopefully!!)

He we have already started looking and found some mesh enclosures :) At least then we will overcome our drainage problem (hopefully!!)

I think you may find that with an all screen enclosure in the UK you may struggle with keeping the temps up. We have a cage that is wood on all sides, with venitlation holes and a glass front and we haven't had any issues with it. Try and see what works for you and your climate.

that "back ground" is foam and would be ridiculous out side of the tank and adds more places to climb. once hes gets the UVB (not a uva, not a uvc....UVB) i would place the tube going across the back instead since he can snug up to it. it will be fine till he gets bigger, but i wouldnt use a glass cage ever again. when i first got my guy thats what he was in since i just bought him and the cage he was in from the store. he would always stay at the top since he needed better ventilation, but if you still want a glass tank them make semi glass semi screen ones which would be you next best bet if you are having humidity/ heat issues since we know the UK doesnt have the most favorable reptile weather

also if you have heat issues with the screen you can hang pegboard on the sides/back, or make it out of that. i saw a few people do this

that "back ground" is foam and would be ridiculous out side of the tank and adds more places to climb. once hes gets the UVB (not a uva, not a uvc....UVB) i would place the tube going across the back instead since he can snug up to it. it will be fine till he gets bigger, but i wouldnt use a glass cage ever again. when i first got my guy thats what he was in since i just bought him and the cage he was in from the store. he would always stay at the top since he needed better ventilation, but if you still want a glass tank them make semi glass semi screen ones which would be you next best bet if you are having humidity/ heat issues since we know the UK doesnt have the most favorable reptile weather

also if you have heat issues with the screen you can hang pegboard on the sides/back, or make it out of that. i saw a few people do this

It's not foam. We haven't yet put the background in. It's like a plactic sheet with some pictures on of rocks and bushes and stuff

Back
Top Bottom