raising a blind chameleon

danielle609

Established Member
I have another thread going but I thought I would also make a side one. As some of you may know I recently rescued a male panther with eye problems. The vet told me there is a chance he may blind. He currently eat crickets and drinks, I just need to hand feed him the crickets. My main queston for this forum is wether or not anyone has raised a blind chameleon? I am more than willing to take on the challenge, but I want to make sure that his quality of life isn't diminished. I would appreciate any thoughts/replies! Thanks!

I have a Panther that has extemely diminished vision. He will walk along his vine and smack his head off the screen at the end of it. He does eat his own crix, but he can only corner them and stab them with his mouth and tongue. He misses them more often than he catches them.

What I have found effective is to set up his cage and never alter the placing of items. He drinks water from the same collection of water drops , in exactly the same place each day. I also feed a lot of worms. They don't get away easily.

I also bump or tap his cage a few times when I approach so he knows I'm there. Saves him from freaking out from surprise.

If your guy is prone to falling , you may consider coco fibre substrate. If it is ingested , it should pass with no problems.

Good luck...and hopefully he will have some vision left . If only to recognize light and dark and maybe movement .

My first chameleon devolped a lump on his on the top of his head just between his eyes. It was a result of some bacterial infection, it was removed but his vision was severely impaired after that. The surgery changed the angle at which his eye were sitting and he no long could judge distances or elevations well. As chroma already stated, we had alot of luck with just leaving his cage as it was. He basically got used to how many steps it took em to get places and didnt have too much trouble bumping into things anymore. To feed him we would take him out and hold him in the shower. Misting him for just a while got him to start drinking and once his mouth was opeing we would give him a cricket or worm. After a while he got very used to the routine and it became much easier to do. He lived like that for another year before passing.

Good luck with your new boy, and I hope he doesnt need any of this :p

Hi all. I recently found a blind chameleon. Tried to set it free but came back and found him in the pool.. so now I'm trying to help him. We are in our first 3 days now and so far we have to open his mouth to put food in.. but when it is in he eats it... not getting the water situation yet... he bumps into everything and falls of everything. Some advice on how much food per day en water feeding ect... thanx

Hi all. I recently found a blind chameleon. Tried to set it free but came back and found him in the pool.. so now I'm trying to help him. We are in our first 3 days now and so far we have to open his mouth to put food in.. but when it is in he eats it... not getting the water situation yet... he bumps into everything and falls of everything. Some advice on how much food per day en water feeding ect... thanx

Hi Lynette, glad to hear that you giving the Cham some love. I am only new to the Cham scene, but I'm guessing if he/she was in the pool, there is a strong chance that they were hydrating. It might be worth misting the Cham directly to ensure it is well hydrated. I think you need the help of more experienced people than I though. I would advise starting your own post (this one is from 2008 so your post may be missed by people) with photos of your setup and the Cham. There is a form that advises what info people need to assist you more.

We have a blind female veiled, she does need to be hand fed so we usually have to wave it infront if her face and she sees the shadow. I also agree don't change the cage.

For all the Blind chams owners out there,U will have to be their eyes,like a guiding dogs but do more......."Drum Roll"...Singing.....rising up back on the street,took my time took my chances,went the distance now im back on my feet,just a CHAM and his will to survive....its eye of the CHAM,its the cream of the fight,rising up to the challange of our rival,as the last known survivor stalks the prey in the day,and hes watching us all in the......EYE OF THE CHAMY...."DRUM ROLL"

Blind cham still can walk and survive,as long you can be their eyes!!!
th.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom