Quick Question

vgaines

OK...So I am really thinking about raising dubia roaches to feed to my veiled chameleon, my beardie, fire belly toads and crested gecko. Can I replace crickets with the roaches? I want something that is easy to raise/breed and that doesn't stink.

Ok..So I have two questions really...lol

What supplies will I need for raising/breeding the dubias?

Thanks from me and my critters..:D

pigglett79

Avid Member
I use roaches instead of crickets. To breed you just need some type of plastic bin, cut out part of the top and hot glue screen. I then have a heat mat underneath it to keep them warm. Throw in some egg cartons and keep them well fed and you will be fine.

I find it is easier to have a breeding bin, and then I take out the ones that are the sizes I want to feed off and keep those in a smaller container for easy access and gutloading.

vgaines

I use roaches instead of crickets. To breed you just need some type of plastic bin, cut out part of the top and hot glue screen. I then have a heat mat underneath it to keep them warm. Throw in some egg cartons and keep them well fed and you will be fine.

I find it is easier to have a breeding bin, and then I take out the ones that are the sizes I want to feed off and keep those in a smaller container for easy access and gutloading.
I have a heat rope...will that work or must I have a heat mat? I'm also assuming ( I know, I know, one should never assume lol) that the roaches can be gut loaded with what I use for my crickets. Bug Burger and fresh fruits and veggies plus water gel. Oh and do the roaches need to be dusted like that crickets?

Thanks for your help

pigglett79

Avid Member
I dont know about heat ropes. I do know that heat from underneath is better than heat from above.

Yes, I gut load them with all of the same things as other insect. Greens, fruits, veggies, nuts

They should be dusted just as crickets are.

Top Bottom