Quick check up & hes sneezing?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Sambava, Male, 3 1/2 months, had him with us for 5 weeks
Handling - once everyday 5 - 15 mins.
Feeding - Small/Medium Silent Crickets, atm he hes about 20 a day, feed 1 hour after lights on from feeding cup, then huts around for extra. gut loading carrots, apple and orange
Supplements - ProRep Calci Dust every feeding, Exo Terra Calcium + D3 once a month, 2 weeks aftecalcium + d3 I use Exo Terra Multi Vitamin
Watering - mist 2 - 4 times a day depending on how fast it dries & the humidity, he drinks from the leaves and shoots his tongue at water droplets
Fecal Description - dark brown with specks of light brown with white urate. Never been tested for parasites
History - I bought him from a reptile shop, I recently went in there to get mine some food and saw the other babies from the same line as Kaji, they are about a third of his size, eyes sunken, just sat there not moving with their tail curled up and very dark. :-( was sad to see.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Exo Terra Flexarium Mesh 100 76x42x122cm
Lighting - I use a Arcadia D3 Basking Lamp with UVA, UVB & IR 100W
Temperature - 85 basking spot - 70 on the floor. Lowest Temp overnight 60 use exo terra temperature gage.
Humidity - (before misting) 52% up to 89%, keeping humidity up by misting use exo terra humidity gage.
Plants - I have a ficus benjamina inside his enclosure + fake leaves and Vines
Placement - upstairs in the computer room away from doors and windows. Cage is on the floor at the moment.
Location - Hampshire, England

Current Problem -
He sneezes occasionally, and I've heard him sneeze a few times today. I got him out and he started making this gasping or fast release of air noise so I checked on here and I think I have found that this is normal? its just way of nicely being a little pissed to being handled? he luuuuves his enclousure since we put the ficus in there... before ( 2 weeks ago) the ficus was outside his cage and he wanted to spend all his time on it. We have had to cover the soil up as we realised he likes to eat that? twice I had to get soil and a little branch out of his mouth - he was super pissed at me! Is that normal?

About him sneezing? is that normal? or indication or RI? everything else seems ok but am willing for an criticism/helpful tips on the general husbandry, wanna do the very best for our little guy! Also, do his eyes looks a little sunken? how do i get him to drink more water if he is dehydrated?

heres a few recent pictures of Kaji and his enclosure

Kaji-10.jpg

Kaji-34.jpg

Kaji-46.jpg

Sorry message was cut.off. he will build trust and be comfortable around you over time. He is not hissing though.

Ok, I think I get your messages, even though a little conufusing. hissing? not hissing?

But actually if I've understood right, this explains ALOT!!! Ok, does anyone have any good tips for him to gain trust and confidence in me? or is his ficus tree just too damn amazing he never wants to leave it :p

sorry meant he is hissing not sneezing

Oh wow i feel dumb, I meant he is hissing not sneezing. It is really hard to see the screen on my phone.

Oh wow i feel dumb, I meant he is hissing not sneezing. It is really hard to see the screen on my phone.

hehe, no its fine, its good to know! Its such a sweet noise for a hiss :p I've learnt my lesson, I will try to make him feel EXTRA comfortable and hopefully he will gain my trust :) THANK YOU

Ok, I think I get your messages, even though a little conufusing. hissing? not hissing?

But actually if I've understood right, this explains ALOT!!! Ok, does anyone have any good tips for him to gain trust and confidence in me? or is his ficus tree just too damn amazing he never wants to leave it :p

I recommend hand feeding and when you hold him or tough at all, come from below him. If you come at them from above they see it as an attack and will be defensive aka puffing hissing. Also dont force yourself on him overnight, take it very slow. It will happen in time.

Yeh its weird, He never blows up at me, never opens his mouth and hisses, only with his mouth closed - and normally almost everytime he is a super light colour and very lively! I always let him walk onto my hand, hes always very happy to get on, and I always approach for underneath. He's a good little baby, sure it will get easier as he grows up with me :)

Back
Top Bottom