Questions, from a future owner

Mai

Established Member
Hi, I just joined a few days ago, I been doing all the research possible, but I’m left with a few questions that I guess is more personal opinion based. I have only had dragons but I want a panther really badly. Got the fever lol for one.
1. Ok so from what I read it’s better to get a young one, but I see conflicting info about cages. If it’s young it should be in a cage not bigger then 30 inch in height because more then likely they won’t be able to find their food. But the recommendation size cage is the xl which is 48 inches in height. So buy two ?
2. Do I use the red night light ? I understand about the regular light to bask and heat purposes?
3. How long should I keep the cage all set up before I purchase a panther. To make sure the temps and humidity levels are good.
4. Also I been to about 6 pet stores here in the West Palm Beach area and the average cost of a panther is $350 now I found one pet store with baby nosy be for $150 am I being too cautious? But why such a cheap price?
5. Also do you guys take your panther to the vet to have it checked out or do you wait until there are any problems?

Any info is really appreciated I’m in no rush I just want Everything right perfect. Ty

Welcome to the Forum. I commend you for doing your research before jumping in.
Let me try to answer these by the numbers. These answers are for panther chameleons. So if you change species they might not apply.
1) I wouldn't recommend a chameleon younger than 4 months for a first cham. Younger than that can be more difficult. I would also try to get a male for a first timer.
2) Any lighting at night will throw off a cham's body clock so no red light. If you live somewhere where your night time temps are below 60˚F indoors then a ceramic heat emitter can be used for the coldest part of the night.
3) I run my cages for 10 days before I put a cham in them. Mostly to run the lights because some bulbs can be to strong initially and irritate young cham eyes. IMO
4) Young babies can be cheaper sometimes just because the breeder hasn't invested as much time in them and because their survival rate is lower. Females tend to sell for less because they are more trouble to keep and don't show colors.
5) An initial vet visit and fecal test a few weeks after you cham settles in can be a good way to establish a relationship with and evaluate a vet for future (fingers crossed) emergency visits.

This is the panther care sheet. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
The resources pages of this site hold a lot of valuable information.

In regards to 1. You could put a young cham in a large cage and it will be able to hunt fine. These guys are stealth ninja hunters.
4. Your best bet is buying from a reputable breeder instead of a pet store. It's worth the wait because your animal will be off to a better start.

Like Fireborn said there are many reputable breeders that sell direct. Some are site sponsors or can be found on the market page under chameleon's for sale on this site.
If you buy a larger cage you can also elevate the cage floor so a younger animal doesn't need to roam as much to find feeders, get UVB and misting is necessary.

Thank you guys so much, I’m sure I’ll have loads of more questions in the future.

Dont be afraid to ask if and when you have questions. Taking the time to absorb all the information available helps keep things from being overwhelming (atleast in my experience lol).

Once you get all the necessary equipment, set it all up and make sure you are hitting the target temps and humidity you need. Humidity is usually the tricky one for most keepers. Live plants helped me tremendously along with the Mistking system. I hand misted the cage when I first got my veiled and it was hard to keep on a decent schedule. An automated mist system takes one more thing off your mind.

Chameleons can get into routines as well so the more you automate things, like lights and misting, the less stressful it is for the cham and easier for you.

1) I have two panthers (3-4 mos when I got them) and the one just didn't move around enough in her XL (2x2x4') cage. I hade to hand feed her and she was a slow eater. If she was cup fed, she often didn't find the cup. her sister was just fine in the larger cage but she is a hog. 10-12 roaches in a morning if I let her.

On a side note, the zoo med "Flexible Hanging Vine" (yellow package) is great for young chams.

Welcome!!!

It is so awesome you are doing your research before hand:) You have come to the right place for research and helpful hints/tips, this site is a wealth of knowledge with great knowledgeable people!!

Back
Top Bottom