New Cham owner … very paranoid and worried.

Jojoscosmo

I just got a 5 month old veiled cham. I’ve always wanted one and read way too much about them. Saw one a few days ago at a local pet store and he honestly looked abused so I got him. Dependent on the knowledge in my head .

5 month old cosmo looks stressed but I also feel like he constantly seeks me out. I’ve Hashim for aprox a week now and he hasn’t eaten anything yet and it’s worrying me. He has drunk water and I leave him to bask in the sun all morning till 4 pm before I bring him inside but he’s free to roam the house since I’m on my own.
cosmo doesn’t look scared of me- on the contrary he uses me as a climbing post to get on top of couches and he looks like he’s enjoying himself.
‘one problem is that he’s constantly “napping”. Ik that when chameleons act asleep mid day it’s due to stress but idk what that stress is . I’ve tried to forceps feed him , bowl feed him and place the worms free in his cage but they remain untouched.
someone tell me not to worry :((

hes usually a vibrant green but turns a blackish color when I take him out into the sun.

Attachments

• B64380FA-3995-4341-9748-597CA3DAF23F.jpeg
    B64380FA-3995-4341-9748-597CA3DAF23F.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 54DB2FB6-6315-4ABD-A854-09B98DC58DF5.jpeg
    54DB2FB6-6315-4ABD-A854-09B98DC58DF5.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 59
Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Are you sure it’s a male? Does it have tarsal spurs on its heels?

Have you only offered worms? offer Dubia roaches and crickets, they may seem to be enjoying your company but it stresses them out i would recommend some alone time in her cage with a variety of a few insects just dont overwhelm your cham with too many bugs most people use a feeder cup to avoid having there cham swarmed by crickets. Can we see the enclosure?

I’m also a new chameleon owner but I did learnt after lots of research when absorbing heat they do go darker! They are Regulating their temperatures, super cool.

I’m also a new chameleon owner but I did learnt after lots of research when absorbing heat they do go darker! They are Regulating their temperatures, super cool.
I would also be worried about him not eating ,I also have a new chameleon and sometimes the only way he’ll let me feed him is by tongs! Although it’s scary as if they have tongue injuries getting stuck to the tongs can be very risky and lead to possible amputation, but just avoid straight metal tongs and try to make sure to have a good grip on the bug ( I also hold a container under my feeding hand to catch one’s I drop) and to also make sure the bug sticks out enough for them to grab to avoid his tongue getting stuck to the tongues! I hope this helped!

Also make sure to be supplementing with calcium each feeding ( simply dusting them) and calcium with D3 + multi vitimins bi-weekly

Back
Top Bottom