Wobbly cham

Kollinkoehler

So I have to panther chams one of them I just got from petco. Yes Ik not a good idea but anyway he is super wobbly and has bad balance. It’s almost like he’s drunk. So I was doing some research and I’ve come to a possible solution. I think he may be overdosed on vitamin d3. The pet stores food bowl is full of powder and the worms are covered in it. I just want to know how long it takes for it to get out of their system. He is the sweetest little thing and I feel so bad if I take him back because I’m afraid they will but him down.

I remember reading about a wobbly cham on the forums before. I think it was caused by a neurological issue. Is it impacting his ability to aim his tongue to eat food? Maybe you should consider putting him in a hospital bin for the time being if you find he’s falling off his branches regularly and hurting himself.

Hey there welcome to the forum. Can you post a few pics of the chameleon? Do you know how long the store had it? Was it housed alone? How long have you now had it?
The store had it probably for a month it was house with one other Cham but it that one had been bought shortly after my first visit to the store which was about 3 weeks ago I have had him since Sunday. I’ve been getting him to drink water and eat a worm or two
Hey there welcome to the forum. Can you post a few pics of the chameleon? Do you know how long the store had it? Was it housed alone? How long have you now had it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9154.jpeg
    IMG_9154.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 32
Hi and welcome.
At first glance, maybe he is a she. Seeing your pictures I think a husbandry review would be recommendable. This way we can guide you towards a long and healthy life for your cham(s). Why are using the coil uvb in that vertical position? Are you also using a linear T5 one?

Following form you could fill out (just copy & paste) and we can assist you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi and welcome.
At first glance, maybe he is a she. Seeing your pictures I think a husbandry review would be recommendable. This way we can guide you towards a long and healthy life for your cham(s). Why are using the coil uvb in that vertical position? Are you also using a linear T5 one?

Following form you could fill out (just copy & paste) and we can assist you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Well it’s a he and also he’s been like this since he was out of the pet store box so nothing I’ve done so far is affecting all I want to know is possible reasons for this d3 overdose is he a little messed up ?

can you take a pic of the supplements you purchased? If it’s a d3 overdose maybe the supplements are incorrect they gave you. It’s usually every feeding calcium only and a multivitamin and d3 only 2x per month.

can you take a pic of the supplements you purchased? If it’s a d3 overdose maybe the supplements are incorrect they gave you. It’s usually every feeding calcium only and a multivitamin and d3 only 2x per month.
So I have calcium without d3 that I use twice a month my first Cham lived 5 years off it no problem and same with panther for a year. I didn’t buy anything from them when I bought this wobbly Cham but when you look in the food bowl at the pet store you see clumps of powder and white worms in there. How long can a d3 overdose take to get out of his system because I’m going to take him back this weekend so they will take him to the vet.

Well it’s a he and also he’s been like this since he was out of the pet store box so nothing I’ve done so far is affecting all I want to know is possible reasons for this d3 overdose is he a little messed up ?
Maybe not know but in the future it will, strongly suggest reading through this https://chameleonacademy.com/caresheets/ I’m seeing many things that need to be corrected for a healthy future of the cham, unless this is an quarantine setup.

So I have calcium without d3 that I use twice a month my first Cham lived 5 years off it no problem and same with panther for a year. I didn’t buy anything from them when I bought this wobbly Cham but when you look in the food bowl at the pet store you see clumps of powder and white worms in there. How long can a d3 overdose take to get out of his system because I’m going to take him back this weekend so they will take him to the vet.
It can take up to a few weeks, depends on the severeness of the intoxication.

It can take up to a few weeks, depends on the severeness of the intoxication.
Ok because the goal is to end up selling him after a month or two of making sure he is ok. I just have one month before returns and anything the store can do after a month it’s on me

So this may not be D3 overdose.... The big box petstores do not use the right supplements... But they also do not use the right UVB lighting.

This may very well be linked to incorrect UVB lighting. Which it looks like needs to be adjusted on your set up as well. The coil bulbs will not provide what they need. We recommend a T5HO fixture that runs the width of the enclosure with a 5.0 or 6% bulb strength. This website will walk you through complete current husbandry recommendations for chams and it talks about the uvb. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Per the supplements your going to want to use calcium without D3 at all feedings because this balances the phosphorus to calcium levels of the insects we offer. Then only two times a month say the 1st and the 15th you want a multivitamin that has vitamin A and D3 in it. Repashy calcium plus LoD version is a good one for this.

Typically D3 issues can take longer than just a month to show extreme issues. But it may be contributing to the chams issues. Which if that is the case it would take a good 6-8 weeks for these levels to reduce. D3 is fat soluble so it stores in the tissues. So it is not a fast thing to detox them off of. But commonly with D3 issues we will see signs of Edema which I do not see on yours.

And I have to agree from all the pics you have shown this looks more like a female. If you have some pics of the tail base we can confirm if you did get a male.

So this may not be D3 overdose.... The big box petstores do not use the right supplements... But they also do not use the right UVB lighting.

This may very well be linked to incorrect UVB lighting. Which it looks like needs to be adjusted on your set up as well. The coil bulbs will not provide what they need. We recommend a T5HO fixture that runs the width of the enclosure with a 5.0 or 6% bulb strength. This website will walk you through complete current husbandry recommendations for chams and it talks about the uvb. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Per the supplements your going to want to use calcium without D3 at all feedings because this balances the phosphorus to calcium levels of the insects we offer. Then only two times a month say the 1st and the 15th you want a multivitamin that has vitamin A and D3 in it. Repashy calcium plus LoD version is a good one for this.

Typically D3 issues can take longer than just a month to show extreme issues. But it may be contributing to the chams issues. Which if that is the case it would take a good 6-8 weeks for these levels to reduce. D3 is fat soluble so it stores in the tissues. So it is not a fast thing to detox them off of. But commonly with D3 issues we will see signs of Edema which I do not see on yours.

And I have to agree from all the pics you have shown this looks more like a female. If you have some pics of the tail base we can confirm if you did get a male.

Well when he’s is happy he gets blue and red so that’s why I thinks it’s a male all the pics I showed happened to be when he was dark

Back
Top Bottom