Pygmy Chameleon Tank Finally Started!

Well, I have finally started my Pygmy tank for my male/female pair! I have everything, but the Hydro Balls, and Eco Earth. Which I am picking up tommarow. I have an 18 wide, 18 deep, by 24 high Exo Terra tank, Like I said, it will have a pair of Brevs, male and female breeders, just one question.
How do you put your live plants in the enclosure? Do you plant them right into the Eco earth layer? Or do you guys keep them in the pots? Thanks.

Both.
Mostly they are kept in their original pots and buried in the coco fiber.
Make sure to wash the plants well.
Some sphagnum moss can help to disguise the pots as well.

-Brad

Yes, I actually just came inside from soaking them down, but I was wondering how you guys clean you plants, soak them down? or what?

Hydro balls? Is that the same as those Leca clay balls you put in the bottom of some flower pots?

Hydro balls? Is that the same as those Leca clay balls you put in the bottom of some flower pots?

Yes
I have it as the bottom layer in all my pygmy enclosures and the cristatus enclosure, followed by a layer of landscape fabric, then activated charcoal, more landscape fabric and coco fiber.

-Brad

Yes
I have it as the bottom layer in all my pygmy enclosures and the cristatus enclosure, followed by a layer of landscape fabric, then activated charcoal, more landscape fabric and coco fiber.

-Brad

I suspect leca balls are cheaper than "special reptile hydro balls"?
What does the activated charcoal do, except for filtering moonshine hootch?

I am guessing that too, I just got three eco earth bricks, and a bag of hydro balls for ten dollars, so I just went ahead and took the offer.

Hydroton is pretty inexpensive and can be purchased at a greenhouse or garden center.
The layering in the bottom of the enclosure creates a filter and water table and facilitates drainage so that your substrate is not muddy.
It is the fundamental way to set up any terrarium with live flora and, in this case, fauna.
Higher humidity is also achieved.
Enrich this environment with live cultures of springtails, little woodland snails, sow bugs and tiny millipedes and you will rarely (if ever) have to do any maintenance. I don't even clean poop out of these environments.

-Brad

It would be cool if you took picks as you were going along with this build. Like one of all the parts needed and everything, sort of like a blog of your own.

-Clemonde

It would be cool if you took picks as you were going along with this build. Like one of all the parts needed and everything, sort of like a blog of your own.

-Clemonde

That is exactly what I plan on doing, the tank should be coming this weekend, or tommarow, and I am picking my Hydro balls up, and my eco earth in about an hour. And I just bought some cheap screen mesh, like you have for sliding screen doors, so I should be having pictures up by this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom